Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pre the Palladium models, Tesla had been reducing the price of the S and X as they were struggling to keep volumes up. See chart below of S pricing. I think again this is due to the limited market size at 100k+.
There’s a ton more desirable competition for Tesla at this price point than there was 5 or 7 years ago when the performance versions of these cars came to fruition.

Folks buying at this end of the EV market will quite likely have already had Teslas so they’re a known quantity and dare I say it with the competitive market - there’s other desirable alternatives that beckon.

I tend to agree with @GeorgeSymonds that this isn’t a priority market for Tesla (as it once was) and they are going for volume with the lower priced models now.

Tesla have just released the delivery figures for Q1. Deliveries overall are slightly up on Q4, albeit still below production, but the MS and MX figures are a disaster, they only delivered a little over half of the cars they produced. Maybe it's been complicated with HW4, maybe its shipping related although there is a lot of inventory on the books, even in Europe, but they really need to either start making RHD cars or address the price point/range/spec/FSD as I can't see Musk being overly keen to keep them.

Tesla have just released the delivery figures for Q1. Deliveries overall are slightly up on Q4, albeit still below production, but the MS and MX figures are a disaster, they only delivered a little over half of the cars they produced. Maybe it's been complicated with HW4, maybe its shipping related although there is a lot of inventory on the books, even in Europe, but they really need to either start making RHD cars or address the price point/range/spec/FSD as I can't see Musk being overly keen to keep them.

I hope they don’t cancel the RHD variant!

Their strategy appears to be to add small incremental changes here and there to maintain press coverage and I think Tesla treat the MS/MX and Cybertruck as pseudo marketing platforms. Release of the MS/MX in the UK should help Model Y and 3 sales, but I agree they need some stronger headline grabbing features for when they release the RHD version, for example, out-of-the-box 200 MPH capabilities (Plaid) or best-in-class range (>500 miles), though I’d be happy with enabled matrix headlamps (not headline grabbing, I know)...

I hope they don’t cancel the RHD variant!

Their strategy appears to be to add small incremental changes here and there to maintain press coverage and I think Tesla treat the MS/MX and Cybertruck as pseudo marketing platforms. Release of the MS/MX in the UK should help Model Y and 3 sales, but I agree they need some stronger headline grabbing features for when they release the RHD version, for example, out-of-the-box 200 MPH capabilities (Plaid) or best-in-class range (>500 miles), though I’d be happy with enabled matrix headlamps (not headline grabbing, I know)...
Yes. Those things would be good.

What’s surprising to me about the figures is it’s the first full quarter of European deliveries so unless there are lots in transit you’d have thought they’d have had a mega quarter on MSX deliveries. I’ve seen reports of inventory though everywhere so I doubt it’s the transit thing.

They are the halo cars which should keep them going, I don’t know how useful the production line space would be for other things, I think that might be the biggest threat to them

Yes. Those things would be good.

What’s surprising to me about the figures is it’s the first full quarter of European deliveries so unless there are lots in transit you’d have thought they’d have had a mega quarter on MSX deliveries. I’ve seen reports of inventory though everywhere so I doubt it’s the transit thing.

They are the halo cars which should keep them going, I don’t know how useful the production line space would be for other things, I think that might be the biggest threat to them

The market for +100k Euro EV‘s is relatively limited. Tesla have some tough competition with the likes of Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and the prices of those OEM vehicles in the EU I think are probably lower than in the US (I think, though I’ve not checked). Spec wise, other than the flat out performance and efficiency, those cars are more luxurious for your Euro, but the Plaid is a bargain IMHO (performance wise).

I do wonder what they’d use the production lines for other than their halo cars. All OEM‘s require top end cars to help sell lower end vehicles, though traditionally top spec cars have larger margins than bread and butter cars. Tesla’s margins on Y/3 are relatively good compared to traditional OEM’s.

For RHD, once they saturate all LHD markets they’d have to quickly switch to RHD. Idle production lines are generally bad for manufacturers. China may suck up LHD capacity for a quarter or two (including Taiwan, South Korea). Don’t know what other LHD market remain thereafter but China is probably the largest LHD market.

I'm somewhat concerned they'll cancelled making RHD Model S and X again. If the numbers aren't there sales wise they might just think it's not worth the money to do it.

If they do give me a bigger battery Trimotor Model 3 Plaid and I'll let them off 😉 Of course they won't as it's lighter so would be faster than the Model S Plaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
1680472639241.png

Taking a common Tesla purchasers career choice, yes, there are exceptions, especially around London, but I'd imagine the market is much much smaller in the UK for cars in that price bracket. Especially with higher interest rates now.

If they do give me a ?igger battery Trimotor Model 3 Plaid and I'll let them off 😉 Of course they won't as it's lighter so would be faster than the Model S Plaid.

There's no way I'm ordering that out loud...

Mod comment: I felt it appropriate to modify the posts and correct the typo - sorry to be the bore but I couldn't realy leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVMeister and DJP31
View attachment 924309

Taking a common Tesla purchasers career choice, yes, there are exceptions, especially around London, but I'd imagine the market is much much smaller in the UK for cars in that price bracket. Especially with higher interest rates now.
At the risk of sounding arrogant - I'd say you could beat that average quite easily in the south, go contract and double that no probs. If you're any good of course

View attachment 924309

At the risk of sounding arrogant - I'd say you could beat that average quite easily in the south, go contract and double that no probs. If you're any good of course
I'm in this sector and you are spot on. Around London with a bit of experience you should be getting double that for UK, same for the US. If you work for Big Tech then it'll be triple those numbers.

I'm in this sector and you are spot on. Around London with a bit of experience you should be getting double that for UK, same for the US. If you work for Big Tech then it'll be triple those numbers.
Yeah, I was just trying to point out the disparity in the averages. I think more people in the US could afford one than over here generally due to US salaries being higher and taxed less. I probably do earn 2-3x the UK average but no way could I afford an S or an X, especially with a mortgage in Surrey 😒