Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have nearly 1000 new inventory of both MS and MX in Europe too. That’s why they’re wondering if it’s worth doing I imagine. They only started deliveries in Europe at the end of last year and have gone from backlog to relatively large excess very quickly. They’ll know what the RHD backlog is and which will feed the decision.

It's worth pointing out there has been a sudden spike in inventory in Europe. Rather than this being a natural build up due to them not being sold, it seems to be intentional:

Of course it will be telling watching this over the coming weeks to see how quickly things go down or how "spikey" upwards trends in inventory levels are, but I don't think we should correlate this with a lack of demand at this point.

Last edited:
It's worth pointing out there has been a sudden spike in inventory in Europe. Rather than this being a natural build up due to them not being sold, it seems to be intentional:

Of course it will be telling watching this over the coming weeks to see how quickly things go down or how "spikey" upwards trends in inventory levels are, but I don't think we should correlate this with a lack of demand at this point.
I think Tesla avoiding the chip shortage better than others means they’ve raced to a lack of demand faster than other makes. They have large order books to clear on some brands but they are building faster than orders come in.

Just have to push past the economic downturn, hope interest rates drop as most finance their car purchase and continue to innovate as the market is getting more crowded by the minute.

Poor you having to buy a much better looking, better built, better to drive with more options to spec to your exact liking and a more exclusive brand car.

e_cyu4fxma0oett.png
Taycan looks are subjective - never did like the stretched 911 look starting with the Panamera.

Regarding driving - it’s still very much a tub of lard. I already have faster, lightweight cars that are actually fun to drive with miles better steering and brake feel. BTW, the MS is for effortless commuting.

I can’t imagine doing road trips with a Taycan. Backseat and boot space are too tight, even in the Turismo, and lack of range means stopping along the way. With my Raven MS, we can always make it to the next overnight charge.

And as mentioned, it has that same-old-thing feel in the cabin.

So I think I’d be giving up too much with nothing gained going to a Taycan.

This will probably be my last summer in my Tesla.

You can't be far away ... I'll bring the Plaid over ... if the pigs I've fed actually learn to fly ...

I’m mostly happy with the Model 3 Performance my wife has but frankly for my car and longer family trips I’d like more comfort. That generally means a bigger wheel base and probably air suspension that the S and X have.

I loved driving the M3LR - it drove like a hot hatch. (we turned it into an MY for the Hatch, that has all the bad SUV characteristics of hopping from foot-to-foot if I tell it to exert itself over a bumpy country road - very unnerving as to whether stability control will take care of it, or if I am going to have to dust off some old skills).

But the MS is something else. Drives like a barge of course, but much much more comfortable. I've not drive an M3P, but I never had any wheel scrabble / break traction on the MS PD - including wet tarmac. My driving style has changed to cornering at a comfortable speed and just flooring it on the way out of the bend - that, for me, never gets old - but I expect my cornering technique change IS old age and thus not for everyone here :)

MS is a fantastic tourer though, and we get only just short of 300 miles on continent - which rarely has any traffic delays, so we are actually travelling at 130 KPH.

My guess is that RHD is still on, but reduced volumes, and the UK has won out over Down Under

Hazard a guess as to why they would exclude Oz if they had a RHD available? could it be that the changes for Oz compliance are significant?

So I think I’d be giving up too much with nothing gained going to a Taycan.

Me too. I absolutely want 300 miles range at motorway speed. Moving up to 300 miles from the previous MS 240 miles has made a huge difference to my driving mix, and how many days a year I have to stop at all

Reactions: 12Pack and DJP31
Another random guess could be that the Oz order situation may be down to allocated quotas for that region, e.g. they allocated X number for 2024 (guessing 2024 for delivery) and the current number of orders have exceeded their allocated quota, which may have been small to start with.

Who knows with Tesla though if RHD was at risk they’d also stop taking UK orders also.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Another random guess could be that the Oz order situation may be down to allocated quotas for that region, e.g. they allocated X number for 2024 (guessing 2024 for delivery) and the current number of orders have exceeded their allocated quota, which may have been small to start with.

Who knows with Tesla though if RHD was at risk they’d also stop taking UK orders also.
It's kind of perfect time to do it if they are struggling to shift all the LHD they make. Let RHD take some of that slack and will buy them a bit more time. Hopefully economy will pick up and no problems shifting LHD then also.

You can't be far away ... I'll bring the Plaid over ... if the pigs I've fed actually learn to fly ...

I loved driving the M3LR - it drove like a hot hatch. (we turned it into an MY for the Hatch, that has all the bad SUV characteristics of hopping from foot-to-foot if I tell it to exert itself over a bumpy country road - very unnerving as to whether stability control will take care of it, or if I am going to have to dust off some old skills).

But the MS is something else. Drives like a barge of course, but much much more comfortable. I've not drive an M3P, but I never had any wheel scrabble / break traction on the MS PD - including wet tarmac. My driving style has changed to cornering at a comfortable speed and just flooring it on the way out of the bend - that, for me, never gets old - but I expect my cornering technique change IS old age and thus not for everyone here :)

MS is a fantastic tourer though, and we get only just short of 300 miles on continent - which rarely has any traffic delays, so we are actually travelling at 130 KPH.

Hazard a guess as to why they would exclude Oz if they had a RHD available? could it be that the changes for Oz compliance are significant?

Me too. I absolutely want 300 miles range at motorway speed. Moving up to 300 miles from the previous MS 240 miles has made a huge difference to my driving mix, and how many days a year I have to stop at all
M3P is obviously a bit firmer. I do wonder if should have just gone for LR in reality but it's done now, bit more comfort and isn't that much slower.

Taken it to Norfolk this weekend and driving sensible my efficiency rating since charge isn't far off the official 255Wh/mile. That's a lot of slow speed Norfolk driving that's giving me more than 4 miles per kWh compared to the 70mph mostly to get here. It's not bad but I'd still prefer a bit more range and while it's not uncomfortable it's not Disco comfortable either. I've had a few cars with air suspension and it does make a big difference in comfort. I'd not have cared when I was younger but as you get older your requirements change a bit.

It's kind of perfect time to do it if they are struggling to shift all the LHD they make. Let RHD take some of that slack and will buy them a bit more time.

If it was that easy they would have done it? I reckon: either they are evaluating if it is worth it, at all (I'll be sorry if not), or they have some design, parts or compliance issue for RHD. Or they are happy with inventory levels for LHD and aren't yet at the point of needing additional orders from RHD (sounds nuts to have typed that, but "could be"? ... Hertz wanting a massive purchase of MS / MS for example)

I've had a few cars with air suspension and it does make a big difference in comfort.

My previous MS, with springs, was very comfortable too :)

I'd not have cared when I was younger but as you get older your requirements change a bit.

me too, but now that I know what a huge reduction it makes on wear-and-tear to Driver I wish I had done it when I was younger :)

I wish you folks well on getting your updated RHD 2023/24/2x Model X and S cars.

It would be real shame for Tesla not bring the new S/X, I still love ours, despite owing it now for 6 years soon. For all the ‘concerns’ on build quality, its out-lasted the house:eek:.

I’m keeping ours for long long to come yet, any repair/maintance costs on the X is going to be pretty trivial compared to the £££££ required to put a literal roof over our heads, we could always just live in the X to save ££££££ 😂

52858652115_caf35b7a9f_c_d.jpg

52858652670_7a0f4a893e_c_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Sean. and EVMeister
That wouldn't even pay for unfitted the front door quote :(
I know. House works are major £££. Been there recently, don’t want to repeat again in a hurry. Good luck with yours. I’m sure it will be amazing when it’s all done though.

Very happy with ours but it took twice as long and twice as much as our original contract. Another story for another time.

Reactions: gangzoom
It’s all a bit strange. Indeed logic would indicate it’s more efficient to switch the Fremont factory S/X lines to RHD if there are excess LHD inventories. I cannot imagine they would stop S/X production period and only stay with 3/Y. Unless somehow the Fremont lines can be turned over to the Cybertruck.