Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LHD is the answer 🤩

Buy the LHD and put the RHD in the garage, except for trips where that is needed. When RHD does come to UK shores then trade them both in for it ...

I am basing this on the thought that I could cope with LHD in UK 'coz all the trips I make in MS are "motorway / long distance" and I take the MY instead when nipping to the shops / local twisty journeys.

I'll get my coat ...
Indeed if the Plaid was soooo much better than the Raven I would be with you. Maybe practice jumping over to the passenger side inside the car...

But in my thinking, not worth it just for the acceleration above 60 - which was to me the only really significant improvement over a Raven performance.

Besides, my Raven is trouble free. Have you all read the posts about this mysterious vibration @ 40 mph on the new cars?

not worth it just for the acceleration above 60 - which was to me the only really significant improvement over a Raven performance

When i replaced my original MS performance, and having demo'd Performance to all my mates, I figured I didn't use it much - never when I had a regular passenger - so I bought the cooking-version of Raven.

Now, of course, I have decided that I need Performance after all !

So my thinking is:

RHD will be worth more ... not sure it will increase (i.e. as cars get older / run out of warranty) ... so maybe now/soon is the time to sell
I'm fairly ambivalent about LHD (my MS journeys are longer distance and predominantly motorway)
As my Raven gets older I'll need/want to replace it anyway
I'd like to have PLAID

Obviously the main problem that needs redesigning for the RHD market is we have nowhere flat to put our mouse...

1687343978623.png

Maybe Tesla market research has figure out that we RHD'ers will wait ... and meantime they are ready'ing RHD with V2H, HUD, etc. etc. in a dramatic volte-face to a new stance of rewarding customer loyalty
I can feel the sarcasm in this!

I still think this is wriggle out of the original price that was pegged by anyone with a deposit. The car must have been designed for RHD build capability, and that's a common thing in automotive design ... I'm struggling to think of any reason why RHD-build is, suddenly, hard - other than massive design cockup (seems unlikely, this is a refresh, not a brand new model), or some specific RHD-only part is not available (seems unlikely for same reason)
According to the post by the Owners Club President on the FB group yesterday, they have locked in prices for those with pre orders until the end of the year. I'm not sure if that's the original pre-order price or current price tbh.

He went on to say that the RHD is never coming.

He said there are 15+ MY's to every MS sale and the personnel have been redeployed elsewhere. This info was delivered by the global head of RHD MS & MX.

I know the saying "never say never" and that's probably quite appropriate when applied to any statement from Tesla but I do think the writing is on the wall.

Very disappointing as nowt else ticks all the boxes and certainly not the Taycan.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My guess - RHD isn’t coming, BUT on the current “model S and X” as a cop out for the old reservation prices.

A refresh may come. Let’s be honest, on an electric car like a Tesla, switching sides isn’t exactly complex… even for 10,000 cars. That’s still $1b + revenue.

I can feel the sarcasm in this!

According to the post by the Owners Club President on the FB group yesterday, they have locked in prices for those with pre orders until the end of the year. I'm not sure if that's the original pre-order price or current price tbh.

He went on to say that the RHD is never coming.

He said there are 15+ MY's to every MS sale and the personnel have been redeployed elsewhere. This info was delivered by the global head of RHD MS & MX.

I know the saying "never say never" and that's probably quite appropriate when applied to any statement from Tesla but I do think the writing is on the wall.

Very disappointing as nowt else ticks all the boxes and certainly not the Taycan.

Yep, got the email. They are set to issue me the order refund but I have until December 31st to buy at the original price (3-4k discount off the current price).

They also said “We will not be producing right-hand drive Model S or Model X”, so a lot more strongly worded than ”not be available in the U.K. for the forseeable future”.

Yep, got the email. They are set to issue me the order refund but I have until December 31st to buy at the original price (3-4k discount off the current price).

They also said “We will not be producing right-hand drive Model S or Model X”, so a lot more strongly worded than ”not be available in the U.K. for the forseeable future”.
I think my order price is around 10k below current pricing. They’d have to give it to me for a lot less to buy a LHD car I’m afraid.

Reactions: NikoV6
I've heard from by car crowd, as well as my Tesla crowd (charger installer, friend of my son that works in an SC, sales guys - we sell chips to Tesla), that actually insurance on the LHDs is the same, and that most LHD buyers are Tesla/car enthusiasts who plan to take the Plaid to racing events/airport runs etc.

In our case I really had planned it as a replacement for our MS daily driver. Really isn't room in my "garage" for a specialty drag racer - not something I'm into anyway.

It doesn't strike me as that sort of car to be honest. I agree with your assessment really.

Not theatrical enough like a supercar, not raw enough like a stripped out track weapon is. Of course it's not designed to be that, it's an everyday car that happens to be very quick - but that doesn't really work when you're trying to treat it like a weekend toy because of the weird steering position, etc.

Reactions: 12Pack
When i replaced my original MS performance, and having demo'd Performance to all my mates, I figured I didn't use it much - never when I had a regular passenger - so I bought the cooking-version of Raven.

Now, of course, I have decided that I need Performance after all !

So my thinking is:

RHD will be worth more ... not sure it will increase (i.e. as cars get older / run out of warranty) ... so maybe now/soon is the time to sell
I'm fairly ambivalent about LHD (my MS journeys are longer distance and predominantly motorway)
As my Raven gets older I'll need/want to replace it anyway
I'd like to have PLAID
Fully get your perspective. But just keep in mind the difference in acceleration between the Plaid and a Raven - perhaps even just the LR - is really experienced if you actually race the two and see the daylight between them. However, what you "feel" is really the initial jerk (the rate of change of acceleration) which is the big difference between an ICE car and an EV - but not so different Raven vs. Plaid - especially just off the line. They all go BANG (metaphorically) but you'd really have to hear the bangs at the same time to tell the difference. But certainly the Raven does taper off more sharply at higher speeds. Would suggest you try before you buy.

Reactions: Leytonstone
Another classc non story from them trying to make themselves sound important

Tesla make constant changes, the latest MS and MX have had tweaks to front lights, rear lights, badging, exterior trim, radar, active noise cancellation etc the M3 and MY get updated every year to a greater or lesser extent if we want to literal about ‘updates’.

Another classc non story from them trying to make themselves sound important

As a moderator, please give people the credit that they deserve. These sorts of websites are not an unusual phenomenon and part of normal internet use. Most people are capable of making their own decisions as to where they source their information from and do not need a moderator that constantly criticises news stories that do not come from a website that you heavily promote and quite possibly have some tie up with even if it’s a mate down the pub etc.

Your constant bashing of news and information from sources that does not come from the website you heavily promote is getting tiresome.

As a moderator, please give people the credit that they deserve. These sorts of websites are not an unusual phenomenon and part of normal internet use. Most people are capable of making their own decisions as to where they source their information from and do not need a moderator that constantly criticises news stories that do not come from a website that you heavily promote and quite possibly have some tie up with even if it’s a mate down the pub etc.

Your constant bashing of news and information from sources that does not come from the website you heavily promote is getting tiresome.
I’m trying to ensure we don’t just reprint stories from news sources with no narrative while offering an option on how reliable these stories are.

I have no allegiance to any website, I know my regular sources of information although frequently print shots or name them without using the url. And you are free to challenge their content. It’s rare anybody does though.

Across this site and Twitter there is an increasing degree of frustration on the content some outlets publish.

But point taken, I will let others decide

Last edited:
So I’ve driven a Model S Plaid today. Didn’t get that long sadly but it’s obviously extremely fast. It felt like at all all speeds I had it that it was just shy of spinning up and smoking all 4 tyres. Not sure cars can really get quicker than this without better / more grippy tyres and road surfaces.

Amazingly comfortable and just great all round car. It would have been perfect in RHD. I can see why people that try it are prepared to consider a LHD, it is that good.

Thanks for the review and the above comment just makes their decision even more frustrating.
Indeed though it feels like it might be a trend. Rivian I think say they’ll come to RHD but maybe not until they have their more mainstream R2 platform. Just feels like these halo EV’s, especially from US firms won’t come to these shores as RHD or at all.

Might of course change in time when there is only EV’s being sold that the numbers sold will be enough to make sense but I feel like for a while we’ll get some high end EV’s but be missing out on a lot of others sadly.

Of course seems strange that they did used to sell Model S and X in RHD and then stopped. I suspect though when they didn’t have the 3 and Y there would be people prepared to make the jump up. But if the 3 and Y are good enough, that’s impacting the sales of their top models.

Maybe time to just give us an air suspension, Model 3 Plaid Highlander update with RGB interior lights. Has to have the RGB interior lights 😉