Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model Y Order Book Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its pretty accurate - and interesting to point out it's not so much "the competition is coming", and now more a case of "the competition are here". Tesla only having the Model 3 for sale in the UK for the last year seems to be a bit of a mistake

But when you have people like some of us that are buying the model 3 even though its not quite what they want and when Tesla are selling everything that they make and cant keep up with the demand plus they cant build/obtain permits fast enough.... What do you suggest?

I've been pondering the Y for a while and have decided it's not for me. 90% of the time it's only me in the car and i don't cycle or (heaven forbid) go camping. I'll stick with the 3 and if i was in the market for a large SUV EV i'd probably go for an Ioniq 5. If i need to move something large i'll just use a works van and if that's not big enough i'll borrow an artic, should keep the bases covered.

I get you. Its horses for courses at the end of the day. If I wanted an Ionic I would of got one, Model X, that as well. but neither fit my needs of the right size and/or performance, technology. To be fair, neither does the model Y (only by size) but its the best thing at the moment that suits my needs.

I might upgrade/downgrade one of our model 3's or the Y when the cheaper/smaller car comes along if its fit for purpose hopefully.

But when you have people like some of us that are buying the model 3 even though its not quite what they want and when Tesla are selling everything that they make and cant keep up with the demand plus they cant build/obtain permits fast enough.... What do you suggest?
Why buy something that’s not right? It’s either the best of a bad lot in which case I’d stay put with what I have, or it fits the bill. Seems to me a lot buy Tesla blindly and the review made the point that there are a lot of other good cars now available. Tesla certainly has plus points that some may prefer (I’m on my 3rd), but it’s not the only choice anymore Lead times are an issue but it would be a sad reflection on Tesla if the only reason you bought one was because you could get one within a couple of months. Tesla need to up their game in a few areas, competition is good for that, and Tesla not being in the market for so long makes you wonder if the MS will ever recapture its no 1 position against the Taycan and Audi etron GT. in Europe. the MS and MX look like a mild update to the old model and but the time we get it may really appear old school EV (had to believe I’m saying that but some of the innovation like the i4 using its cameras to dictate the level of regen by understanding the road conditions is an example of where Tesla are already lagging).

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Why buy something that’s not right? It’s either the best of a bad lot in which case I’d stay put with what I have, or it fits the bill. Seems to me a lot buy Tesla blindly and the review made the point that there are a lot of other good cars now available. Tesla certainly has plus points that some may prefer (I’m on my 3rd), but it’s not the only choice anymore Lead times are an issue but it would be a sad reflection on Tesla if the only reason you bought one was because you could get one within a couple of months. Tesla need to up their game in a few areas, competition is good for that, and Tesla not being in the market for so long makes you wonder if the MS will ever recapture its no 1 position against the Taycan and Audi etron GT. in Europe. the MS and MX look like a mild update to the old model and but the time we get it may really appear old school EV (had to believe I’m saying that but some of the innovation like the i4 using its cameras to dictate the level of regen by understanding the road conditions is an example of where Tesla are already lagging).
So, in regards to what I said, do you suggest?? Tesla cant do any better in shifting their stock. They cant just magic cars out of thin air and the competition also has lots to do.

Anyone else coming from a 3LR/P disappointed by the Y LR 0-60? It’s quite a difference. Before having a 3 I wouldn’t say I would be bothered, but the Y LR just seems so ‘slow’. Like unnecessarily slow. Performance gap between 3 LR boost and P is negligible, but gap between Y LR and P seems huge. Did they ever boost a Y LR in the US?

Anyone else coming from a 3LR/P disappointed by the Y LR 0-60? It’s quite a difference. Before having a 3 I wouldn’t say I would be bothered, but the Y LR just seems so ‘slow’. Like unnecessarily slow. Performance gap between 3 LR boost and P is negligible, but gap between Y LR and P seems huge. Did they ever boost a Y LR in the US?

Yes they did. Brings the 0-60 down to about 4.1s.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
I really like the Model Y but I bought the Model 3 Performance instead... as a stepping stone.

I've also ordered a Cybertruck

My stepping stone will be to a Model S Plaid.

So my perfect Tesla lineup would be

- Tesla Model S Plaid
- Tesla Cybertruck

Fun, fun, fun...

Good luck you new Model Y owners, lovely car 👍👍

Reactions: EVMeister
So, in regards to what I said, do you suggest?? Tesla cant do any better in shifting their stock. They cant just magic cars out of thin air and the competition also has lots to do.
They could not open up new markets at the expense of existing ones, they could not stop production of existing models until the new models are ready to make.. there’s 2 things they could have done

Evening chaps,
I want to place an order for the LR but don't need the car until June 2022.
Those who have ordered previous Tesla's can you get them to hold the car at all?
Yes, once you've put your order in it will be radio silence until a month before delivery. At which point you can tell them to un-match you from a car and to reactivate your reservation next Q

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Did anyone get a 3LR and had a pang of regret when driving past a 3P? I can honestly say I did. I only went for the LR for the tow hitch, which I’ve never used. Strange to feel this way. I wonder if this will be the same for the Y. It’s a different segment so maybe not. However, I’ve gone for a YP, as you can have a tow hitch too. That I will never use.

Reactions: PITA and Doudeau
Did anyone get a 3LR and had a pang of regret when driving past a 3P? I can honestly say I did. I only went for the LR for the tow hitch, which I’ve never used. Strange to feel this way. I wonder if this will be the same for the Y. It’s a different segment so maybe not. However, I’ve gone for a YP, as you can have a tow hitch too. That I will never use.
Nope, I saw one at a supercharger the other day and the front wheel was badly curbed and thought how pleased I was I went LR with the smaller wheels. Same for the road comfort. My previous Tesla was MS with 21 inch wheels and air suspension and I used to wince on poor roads and pot holes.

From all the reviews I've seen aside from the asthetics there's very little in it performance (my LR came with the performance boost already on it) once you're actually moving, and cornering is way more complex than how firm your suspension is, so I don't even feel I'm missing out there either. The smart choice has always been the LR and I'm happy with that.

My plan was to buy a Long Range in Black, White Interior, Silver Wheels and the Boost Upgrade... because everybody else seemed keen on saving the £8k or so

Then at the time of ordering online I thought F'kit... and ordered a Black Performance, black interior. Because it could be delivered a month earlier and weirdly, my insurance was CHEAPER.

Amongst all the nice Performance features, and most of them are hidden benefits.

- Battery temperature control
- 4x4 bias control
- lighter unsprung weight calipers & discs
- higher top speed
- faster punch motor for a cars length overtaking
- decent battery range
- Friends reaction (it's the Top of Range curiosity)
- Sheer initial thrust experience for Passenger rides
- Massive wheels that look nice (in my opinion), aerodynamic and stronger

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Nope, I saw one at a supercharger the other day and the front wheel was badly curbed and thought how pleased I was I went LR with the smaller wheels. Same for the road comfort. My previous Tesla was MS with 21 inch wheels and air suspension and I used to wince on poor roads and pot holes.

From all the reviews I've seen aside from the asthetics there's very little in it performance (my LR came with the performance boost already on it) once you're actually moving, and cornering is way more complex than how firm your suspension is, so I don't even feel I'm missing out there either. The smart choice has always been the LR and I'm happy with that.

Sorry... but I own a 2021 Model 3 Performance and maybe they've tweeked stuff...

... but I'm actually very pleasantly surprised how nice my car suspension handles the roads on 20" wheels.

Mine aren't curbed, and are pristine still after 2000 miles this month. I doubt they'll be any different just like all the other performance cars I've driven well over the past 25 years 🤣😂