Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model Y Order Book Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't rubbish, the 20" are known for being heavy and weak. The new uberturbines are definitely an improvement in strength over the older one but are even heavier.

For the extra money Telsa charge for the performance they really should be using semi or fully forged wheels.

I removed my comment because it wasn't what I was trying to say.

I'm basing my opinions on my 2021 uberturbines, so what if they're heavier, they're supposed to be stronger.

The car is still fast... now it'll be more reliable.

Smacking wheels into curbs is driver error, not wheel error

Driving around in your car with a smile on your face, knowing you made the 'smart' choice is a good thing. I can promise you it isn't exclusive to LR owners 😄😁😁😁

Last edited:
Agreed, but it is more potholes that will crack the rims and they cannot always be avoided.

IF... if these new 20" Uberturbines suffer wheel cracking issues, then I'll apply for warranty replacement.

If unsuccessful I'll replace them with 18" forged race wheels, appropriate fitting for the calipers.

I've done that before with Team Dynamics and an AP Racing 365mm big brake kit.

I'm only hanging onto the 20" uberturbines because I like them.

I wasn't aware of either of these. Is this documented somewhere? It may not be enough to push me to change my LR order but is good info to consider...
The thread is way off topic and as a moderator I'd normally be moving stuff fromn the thread by now (I know, inconsistent), but the feature is track mode which you'd be very selective about using on public roads. As Tesla say...

Can I use Track Mode V2 anywhere?
Track Mode is designed for use on closed-circuit racetracks and autocross courses.

Track Mode is designed for use on closed-circuit racetracks and autocross courses.

And that’s the American flavour of autocross before anyone gets carried away attempting this with their Tesla…

4FEAC2D6-47F3-40DE-96AC-1A559029624A.jpeg

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Keeper and Cardo
He also said production is a while away and they are going to be MIC for now. The MYP, which is mid 2022 maybe Berlin but looking at the range figures, if it is the new battery it’s not giving any range advantage.
Surely he would say that and show figures with no advantage or everyone would wait, same as I was never convinced Plaid+ was scrapped, I think that was always an issue with availability of 4680. People swapped for Plaid and now they have been delivered Shock horror another Plaid+ has surfaced!

My plan was to buy a Long Range in Black, White Interior, Silver Wheels and the Boost Upgrade... because everybody else seemed keen on saving the £8k or so

Then at the time of ordering online I thought F'kit... and ordered a Black Performance, black interior. Because it could be delivered a month earlier and weirdly, my insurance was CHEAPER.

Amongst all the nice Performance features, and most of them are hidden benefits.

- Battery temperature control
- 4x4 bias control
- lighter unsprung weight calipers & discs
- higher top speed
- faster punch motor for a cars length overtaking
- decent battery range
- Friends reaction (it's the Top of Range curiosity)
- Sheer initial thrust experience for Passenger rides
- Massive wheels that look nice (in my opinion), aerodynamic and stronger

- Battery temperature control (in track mode which isn't designed for the road)
- 4x4 bias control (in track mode which isn't designed for the road)
- lighter unsprung weight calipers & discs (not sure how as they're bigger so heavier, not seen anywhere its said they're lighter)
- higher top speed (and just where do you need to go more than 140mph in the uk?)
- faster punch motor for a cars length overtaking (not once moving, its been repeatedly shown they're the same above about 20mph(
- decent battery range (but less than the LR)
- Friends reaction (it's the Top of Range curiosity) (99 out of 100 people wouldn't know one version from anotehr)
- Sheer initial thrust experience for Passenger rides (as if the LR lacks that)
- Massive wheels that look nice (in my opinion), aerodynamic and stronger (where this thing started, they're also a liability on some british roads)

Has it? That’s interesting, it’s certainly nowhere on the Tesla website. Where did you hear this?How do its specs difffer from Plaid? Will it have the 4680s?

I think what's being referred to are these spy shots...

Could mean anything, however.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
- Battery temperature control (in track mode which isn't designed for the road)
- 4x4 bias control (in track mode which isn't designed for the road)
- lighter unsprung weight calipers & discs (not sure how as they're bigger so heavier, not seen anywhere its said they're lighter)
- higher top speed (and just where do you need to go more than 140mph in the uk?)
- faster punch motor for a cars length overtaking (not once moving, its been repeatedly shown they're the same above about 20mph(
- decent battery range (but less than the LR)
- Friends reaction (it's the Top of Range curiosity) (99 out of 100 people wouldn't know one version from anotehr)
- Sheer initial thrust experience for Passenger rides (as if the LR lacks that)
- Massive wheels that look nice (in my opinion), aerodynamic and stronger (where this thing started, they're also a liability on some british roads)

Track Mode can also be considered to be Advanced Features. You know, for people with their own skill & experience. Not just being reined in by a software engineer all the time like you can't drive.

You can still use Track Mode settings on the road and experiment on your own car feel and performance, why don't you try it? ... oh, I forgot with yours... you can't.

High Speed driving can be legally achieved at many places within the UK... you don't need to be on the Queens Highway. I've done lots of events where 160+mph is perfectly achievable by cars that can actually do it. It's fun and doesn't cost a lot.

Look at the end of the day £10k extra is something you can either afford, or you can't. I get it.

Those that can afford the Performance version, I recommend it. It's nice 👍🙂