Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK plans to bring forward ban on fossil fuel vehicles to 2030

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will kill ICE auto sales dead from 2026 if that happens (possibly before). Given that PCP is the most popular form of financing in this country given its “cheap” monthly payments and part of what makes it cheap is that “guaranteed future value” - by killing the residual value of the cars, their prices will go up to the point of unsustainability.

Reactions: timpharrison
I’m going to put my tin hat on and say that home chargers in the future will be mandatory to smart/connected just as they are now for olev.... there sure will be an increase in granny charger demand:D

some other things they need to ban

HGVs / buses etc idling at stationary because the driver forgot a jumper in the winter or because they are a bit toasty in the summer.

Heathrow new runway

Factories with no ability to source at least some energy from renewable sources

+ ... add your suggestions here

2030 is an immensely challenging date, is our nation up for a genuine next industrial revolution because that's what this means - love the ambition, can we deliver ?

I assume charging will end up costing similar to petrol etc long term. With a hefty tax portion.
Don't how they would ever do that without increasing costs of domestic electricity at the same time, which would be politically difficult as would disproportionally effect the poor.

More likely I think will eventually be a change to car tax, where you are taxed on road usage rather than a flat rate - would be a double whammy for petrol/diesel cars if it ever came about.

Reactions: NewbieT and pow216
This is just governments saying and promising stuff that they will no longer be in power to implement.
Anyone serious about reducing pollution would reduce the need for lorry transport and air-freight - start by managing our own homegrown food security and get folk away from instant gratification and the newest shiny imported toy. It's not going to happen.

The only worry is the infrastructure. Electricity demand / on-street parking charging etc. I am very surprised that it is not a requirement for new build flats to have a lot of electric car charging points
Depends what parts of the world you’re in, but parts of London have for years banned outright any street parking permits for new flats/new dev outright and don’t allow any off street parking. It’s basically the war on wheels and they want everyone a bike, the bus or the tube. EVs don’t even figure in their computations or should that be machinations.

Reactions: roadcred
I drove along Marylebone/Euston road today for the first time since the pandemic. This is a major dual carriageway that has a lot of traffic junctions but 50% of the day used to floe smoothly. Our idiot Mayor has introduced bus lanes /cycle lanes and widened pavements reducing the road from 3 to one lane. Took me 1 hour and a half to travel 4 miles! This road serves 4 of the largest stations in the UK! no bikes! Buses 99% empty! heavy polution caused by static vehicles.

Reactions: Sean.
I drove along Marylebone/Euston road today for the first time since the pandemic. This is a major dual carriageway that has a lot of traffic junctions but 50% of the day used to floe smoothly. Our idiot Mayor has introduced bus lanes /cycle lanes and widened pavements reducing the road from 3 to one lane. Took me 1 hour and a half to travel 4 miles! This road serves 4 of the largest stations in the UK! no bikes! Buses 99% empty! heavy polution caused by static vehicles.

I get what the mayor is trying to do. It’s just the assumption that anyone that drives in London has an alternative and simply removing space for cars will solve the problem. What it actually does it choke up traffic flow so cars sit at low revs chucking out pollution and looking for rat runs around residential areas. Most people that drive a car in a London aren’t simply out for a bit of a drive.

Reactions: Yev000 and drewpost
Yep. Sadiq is a total moron.

some other things they need to ban

HGVs / buses etc idling at stationary because the driver forgot a jumper in the winter or because they are a bit toasty in the summer.

Heathrow new runway

Factories with no ability to source at least some energy from renewable sources

+ ... add your suggestions here

2030 is an immensely challenging date, is our nation up for a genuine next industrial revolution because that's what this means - love the ambition, can we deliver ?

It may come as a surprise but ships rank as some of the biggest polluters and the air quality around the south coast is poor because of the sheer number of ships that use the English Channel and our south coast ports. Our ports need to have the facility to provide shore based power to ships and then owners should be encouraged to modify their ships to use it by discounted port fees. Likewise with exhaust scrubbers and diesel particulate filters.

Yeah - ships. the biggest part of my Tesla order that annoys me, the sheer ocean mileage to achieve “zero tailpipe emissions”. No way round it until Berlin online but agree completely if “ship idling” could be made significantly cleaner this would be a big thing.

Then of course transporting all Teslas around continental Europe and the UK. Then extrapolate out - what solutions does the haulage industry have to vastly reducing their air pollution quota ?

agree - it goes much deeper than the immediate Tesla bubble. I have consciously switched to minimising number of packages from Amazon but they aren't exactly smashing carbon out of the park with their model - so by extension I'm part of the problem by using them.

Yeah - ships. the biggest part of my Tesla order that annoys me, the sheer ocean mileage to achieve “zero tailpipe emissions”. No way round it until Berlin online but agree completely if “ship idling” could be made significantly cleaner this would be a big thing.

Then of course transporting all Teslas around continental Europe and the UK. Then extrapolate out - what solutions does the haulage industry have to vastly reducing their air pollution quota ?
are we sure that assembling i Germany makes that much difference? a lot of the parts will still come from China etc will the steel / iron ore be locally sourced. It would be interesting to know what proportion of the total shipping of stuff for the car the final shipping of the car itself actually represents

possibly not, but distances are lower for the final transport. I don't know the CO2 per km/tonne differences between shipping and haulage.

but you are right - if shipping is used to transport metals and parts to Germany instead of the US, does it end up making much difference - not sure ?

would guess that cramming raw materials into ships is more efficient on a unit-unit basis than finished cars. It's all a bit mind-bending.

Will be interesting to see how oil giants react quickly to ensure future £££. I assume charging will end up costing similar to petrol etc long term. With a hefty tax portion. UK plans to bring forward ban on fossil fuel vehicles to 2030
Rapid charging already does cost almost the same as diesel with very little tax on it. My old diesel used to cost about £0.12 per mile on a long run. Supercharging is about 6-8p dependant on time of year etc. and others are already 10-12p (inc 10-15% conversion loss based on 35p/kwh) and we are not even going to talk about Ionity. So while charging at home is cheap road tripping could end up being very pricey.