Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking through TOGUK posts, I think this is because two chargers matching the description of the Aviemore Two (4A & 4B) have turned up on a pallet & been installed at a logistics/delivery firm near Banbury (I guess the business activities include moving Teslas around the country, maybe for fleet customers?).
Thurso is not a definitive location though it was suggested as possible to me by a Tesla employee: Tesla definitely looking for a Caithness location as confirmed to me by Highland council. No guarantees of course...

Still nothing to be found even on planning stage in Wales.
What the hell is wrong with that country? Sheesh!
Wales latest:
Cardiff service Centre
- 8x V3 in planning documents
Flint/A55 - planning permission approved a few weeks ago, but no work has begun. (Could they be waiting for the contractors/teams to finish at Nottingham/Newbridge/Crawley/Aberdeen/Chelmsford/Braintree GS/Banbury Cross/Rugby/Belshill A1 before a new site can start? With 8 active construction sites maybe the staff are stretched to their limit.)
Bulith Wells - Willing site has been identified for a long time but power-to-site is the obstacle and is still in negotiation
Aberystwyth - a pin in the Tesla map but no other details

Moto also have sites at Cardiff West and Swansea so should the Moto SuC project include more sites than the identified planning documents reveal, we might potentially see Superchargers and Ecotricitty 350kW chargers at those Welsh locations but no evidence yet. If they can re-use the tarmac parking already in place then planning permission may not be necessary so we don't see any evidence of those projects.

I've just found the planning docs for Chester service centre site so we should see 8x SuC there too. Old Car Supermarket site at CH1 4PZ.
upload_2020-11-20_10-14-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-20_10-14-24.png
    upload_2020-11-20_10-14-24.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: cezdoc
Only shows destination chargers?
Yes, but if they are reusing the existing tarmac they might not need planning permission for the Superchargers, whereas the canopies will do due to height. It's policy now to include SuCs at service centres and there doesn't look like a power problem (132kV line overhead and subsatiton 0.3 miles away with a soft-dig in between if it is required) so I would be amazed if we didn't see them there.

Yes, but if they are reusing the existing tarmac they might not need planning permission for the Superchargers, whereas the canopies will do due to height. It's policy now to include SuCs at service centres and there doesn't look like a power problem (132kV line overhead and subsatiton 0.3 miles away with a soft-dig in between if it is required) so I would be amazed if we didn't see them there.
Glad to hear. Planning for Flint is 12 miles away so that could serve It pretty well (depending on direction). Let us know if you find anymore evidence.

Reactions: PB1975
Glad to hear. Planning for Flint is 12 miles away so that could serve It pretty well (depending on direction). Let us know if you find anymore evidence.
Planning diagram shows square cabinet-like objects near the entrance that do not currently exist on site (according to aerial maps) so that would suggest potential Supercharger hardware. TOGUK have a member who will hopefully drop in today/tomorrow so we should have photos soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Anybody know if Newbridge (Edinburgh) superchargers are available yet? I have to make an essential return trip Aberdeenshire to Midlothian (both level 2) next week and Edinburgh would suit me better than Dundee or Perth. What does the Scottish government say about stopping to supercharge in a level 3 zone while passing through as all the above are level 3?!
I could possibly do the return trip without charging but it wouldn’t be very relaxing towards the end as I have to climb the Cairn o’Mount road!

Anybody know if Newbridge (Edinburgh) superchargers are available yet? I have to make an essential return trip Aberdeenshire to Midlothian (both level 2) next week and Edinburgh would suit me better than Dundee or Perth. What does the Scottish government say about stopping to supercharge in a level 3 zone while passing through as all the above are level 3?!
I could possibly do the return trip without charging but it wouldn’t be very relaxing towards the end as I have to climb the Cairn o’Mount road!

Unlikely but you can always use the ones at the Airport 5 minutes away (though they are old and a bit slow in Supercharger terms!)

I was there on Wednesday. They were all in place with cables attached. Site still fenced off though. I'm not sure what's involved in making them live however everything seemed setup to me.

Reactions: Tonybvi
Unlikely but you can always use the ones at the Airport 5 minutes away (though they are old and a bit slow in Supercharger terms!)

Would not go near the airport superchargers - just not worth the risk of having to wait as there are only two and then a poor rate of charge. Done it once or twice and never again. If Newbridge isn’t open Perth is much much better than the airport and a relatively easy stop off for me en route home.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Adopado
Always worth checking on the in-car nav to see if they're showing (in which case they're defintely live).... A couple of weeks ago the Birmingham Small Heath Superchargers were only discovered as live and switched-on when a TOGUK member spotted them in the nav so he shot down there and christened them!

Always worth checking on the in-car nav to see if they're showing (in which case they're defintely live).... A couple of weeks ago the Birmingham Small Heath Superchargers were only discovered as live and switched-on when a TOGUK member spotted them in the nav so he shot down there and christened them!
Not live in nav yet. The CPS rapids at Sherrifhall or Hermiston Gait have CCS and CHADEMO Depending on vehicle capability and SOC might be as quick for a top up?

The chief constable has said publicly on numerous occasions that we will not be routinely stopping vehicles or setting up road blocks, and that will not change as a result of travel restrictions now being in law.

'However, officers may in the course of their duties come across people who are travelling from one local authority area to another. In areas where travel restrictions apply, officers will continue to use the common sense, discretion and excellent judgement that they have applied since the crisis began.

so the question is “do you feel lucky?”

I wonder which UK Supercharger will be next to go live? I reckon there are nine in the running (i.e. construction ongoing or virtually complete):

- Aberdeen SC
- Adderstone (between Berwick and Alnwick)
- Banbury (Banbury Cross retail park)
- Braintree (Gridserve site)
- Chelmsford SC
- Crawley SC
- Edinburgh SC
- Nottingham SC
- Rugby (Moto M6 J1)

Although my local, Aberdeen, appears to be finished I think it will need to wait until the Service Centre opens... I believe Gridserve Braintree would have had an opening event already were it not for the English lockdown... Edinburgh and Chelmsford must be in with a shout as they are attached to open service centres... but I'm going to have an imaginary flutter on Banbury.