Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] The Button and good driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if we got the Beta option in the UK, no way I'd get let in, my score would suck. I live in a fairly rural area, and work in Birmingham. That means on my drive in I have narrow lanes only wide enough for one car and then the chaos of traffic in the city with cars parked all over the place and driving at you on the wrong side of the road. I think even if I drove like a saint I'd still get around 10 collision warnings a day from parked cars and people driving at me. But then again, I doubt FSD would be able to cope in those conditions for quite some time, so maybe it's best to let it get used to UK roads before it tackles that anyway.

Even if we got the Beta option in the UK, no way I'd get let in, my score would suck. I live in a fairly rural area, and work in Birmingham. That means on my drive in I have narrow lanes only wide enough for one car and then the chaos of traffic in the city with cars parked all over the place and driving at you on the wrong side of the road. I think even if I drove like a saint I'd still get around 10 collision warnings a day from parked cars and people driving at me. But then again, I doubt FSD would be able to cope in those conditions for quite some time, so maybe it's best to let it get used to UK roads before it tackles that anyway.
I am an optimist and have a belief that the Tesla system will be successful on a large portion of the roads in the USA and other countries where roads are generally sized for modern cars. But I don't know if they will ever be autonomous on a substantial portion of the "roads" in this country. Without V2V communications I don't think single track lanes or narrow country roads will be feasible. But this is from someone who hates driving on them myself!

I am an optimist and have a belief that the Tesla system will be successful on a large portion of the roads in the USA and other countries where roads are generally sized for modern cars. But I don't know if they will ever be autonomous on a substantial portion of the "roads" in this country. Without V2V communications I don't think single track lanes or narrow country roads will be feasible. But this is from someone who hates driving on them myself!
I don't think it's that complicated to do, it's just not going to be a priority for Tesla just yet. The current AI stack (in the US) has a memory of both distance and time, therefore it could remember where the last passing point was and reverse into it, assuming no one drove up behind. I think you have to bear in mind that these situations, while fairly basic, do cause all sorts of issues for human drivers. I've seen many people wobbly reversing into hedges and ditches and standoffs between two drivers who don't want to reverse. A family member pulled the whole front bumper off her 1 month old kia on a hedge, during the school run recently..... So if in 12 months time a Tesla can sit front on to a car stopped in the other direction and angrily beep it's horn for 2 minutes before reversing into a ditch and getting stuck then it's about on par with a lot of human drivers ;)

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha