Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] The Button and good driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Well, I'm doomed to never get a shot of FSD in the far future that's it's available here... This was a gentle drive home, A road, town and duel carriage way. Small roundabouts, taken sensibly, kill the sideways measure, regen maxes the stopping allowance. The 0.8 acceleration was my fault.
IMG_20210926_151909.jpg

Well, I'm doomed to never get a shot of FSD in the far future that's it's available here... This was a gentle drive home, A road, town and duel carriage way. Small roundabouts, taken sensibly, kill the sideways measure, regen maxes the stopping allowance. The 0.8 acceleration was my fault.
View attachment 714541
I haven’t found that screen before. Do I need to read the manual? :rolleyes:

Whil in park, but the car on (in and press brake, not just get in, settings/driving/track mode. Agree to all the warnings and off you go. Not generally recommended for on the road, but I had to know how my driving was going to be judged by the auto rater if it ever comes here

My AMG C63 had a number of such features. Amusing, bit on the road, pointless.
The AMG "G" meter will go up to 2.0 in all directions...who are they trying to fool? Savage braking from 60 mph to the point the ABS cut in wouldn't go above 1g, cornering like a demented idiot round a large roundabout got to 0.8G laterally.

I don’t think hard acceleration is measured or punished, from what I’ve read. If it did it would basically disqualify any P owner just using their car.

It also doesn’t penalise for anything that happens whilst in AP (so phantom braking, random emergency collision avoidance, etc is not an issue). That being said I think I’ve had more than one journey recently where something has gone red on the display because it thinks I’m going to hit it?

It’s going to be as effective (or not) as typical blank box metrics really, as in you’re going to get unfairly penalised if someone does something that causes you to have to brake or swerve quickly.

I also think people in the States are going to be a bit surprised to find that they likely will have to keep driving smoothly even after they’ve got in to the beta, to stay on it.

I originally started looking at the scoring system, and then at how many false alarms and the like I had and thought... nope not going to work for me.

Then I had another thought... why on earth are they rating my driving? Surely the point of this is the car does the driving, not me. Odd.

Anyway since on a daily basis the car thinks I'm going to hit my neighbour as I pull alongside to reverse onto the drive, I'll never be deemed safe enough.

I originally started looking at the scoring system, and then at how many false alarms and the like I had and thought... nope not going to work for me.

Then I had another thought... why on earth are they rating my driving? Surely the point of this is the car does the driving, not me. Odd.

Anyway since on a daily basis the car thinks I'm going to hit my neighbour as I pull alongside to reverse onto the drive, I'll never be deemed safe enough.
Presumably they are looking for careful, attentive, drivers for the beta to generate high quality training material. Hopefully the req will not be a feature once training is largely done? They also need people that won't be dicks and click the report button just because the car isn't doing limit +10% down a crowded street etc.

<Track Mode screenshot>
I considered doing that as well, but figured it might be overkill. ;)

Looking at your numbers though, I think the lateral is what you need to worry about:
Aggressive Turning
Aggressive turning is defined as left/right acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.4g.

For acceleration, nothing is stated in the official page.

For deceleration they say this:
Hard Braking
Hard braking is defined as backward acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.3g.
My recollection is that regen normally tops out at 0.2g and for Track Mode it tops out at 0.3g. So keep your braking "within regen only" (no friction brakes) and you should be fine.

Of course, beware of braking "too softly" and tripping Forward Collision Warnings or Unsafe Following.