Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the sake of balance, given that the removal of USS was the straw that broke the back of my MYP camel...

Today my MX's USS got confused once by the ice. I also realised that they're a bit annoying when queuing in traffic and listening to offensively loud music.

Reactions: Mullermn
For the sake of balance, given that the removal of USS was the straw that broke the back of my MYP camel...

Today my MX's USS got confused once by the ice. I also realised that they're a bit annoying when queuing in traffic and listening to offensively loud music.
The problem with USS is it poos its pants at everything, if you actually listened to the warnings it gave you, you'd never park anywhere.

At work we have to use a car lift to get to the underground carpark (they have free chargers, well worth the effort) - there's about a foot either side of the car, my Model 3 would be going nuts reversing in there.

They are definitely useful and I'd still rather my MYP had them than not, especially for the front of the car, but you still need to be able to park, sensors or not.

Reactions: Mullermn
Enhanced... sure... added additional almost 20k on the price and removed, as mentioned by zilla: data usb, lumbar support for passenger, radar, uss...
I don’t disagree that some stuff has been removed as well but some things have been added too and if it was only about cost savings then they wouldn’t have added some of the items or removed them too imho.

Tesla have been far from perfect but like a lot on here I’m struggling to find a better alternative for my money and so trying to see my glass half full still.

I’ve seen little difference in TACC performance since the loss of radar (as agreed by many on here) and the USS functionality hasn’t been taken off cars with the hardware. If people have chosen to accept their car without USS with the hope that TV will be good enough and available soon then they have more belief in Tesla than me.

you still need to be able to park

Yeah, y'see, this is where I have a problem!

The problem with USS is it poos its pants at everything

I wholeheartedly approve of your choice of language! There's a thing relating to this below.

I'm a little surprised they aren't disabled in drive mode

Is that an option that can be set? In my MX they're always on, which is handy when trying to close gaps in heavy traffic. The beeping is often excessive but is useful if I've been distracted. What I find most useful is the proximity graphic on the dashboard, which shows up when you get within 36" (bloody imperial units) to when you're closer that 12". Do M3 and MY have this?

On the M3's and MY's with USS it would show the warning lines depending on how close you were (or seemingly, completely randomly when driving a foot away from a curb).

Don't think it's something you could ever switch off.

I wholeheartedly approve of your choice of language! There's a thing relating to this below.
I posted the s word on the Tesla UK Facebook group and got my post removed, very naughty of me 😅 - so just trying to save myself a headache here.

I do find the car is a lot more "nervous" since TV, it's sometimes a big deal for the car these days when it sees a pedestrian on a path minding their own business 😂

I’m find it hard to believe Tesla did it for cost savings as they have enhanced the car since the start of production - USB sticks, double layered glass, heat pumps, wireless smartphone charging etc..

They could certainly stop supplying a number of those items without it causing this much hate if it was just to save money.
A vehicle enhancement is only an enhancement if the person using it is of the opinion its better or more functional - very much like how people see rewards for doing something - people are motivated by different rewards - one size doesn't fit all. My View of Tesla is - they produced a revolutionary car, filled it with tech, gadgets to impress and offered it to the public at a very tempting price even though it was a lot more expensive than ICE vehicles within its target customer demographic.
A tech company producing a car - so early models were inconsistent regarding build quality, but for a few years their main focus was on improving how the car functioned, listening to its customers and responding by ironing out the wrinkles and improving the functionality with over the air updates whilst achieving a customer satisfaction level pretty much unheard of in the motor industry.
To encourage people to purchase they gave free supercharging for life, get a puncture? - no worries, a Tesla Ranger will attend and fix, the cars were also "connected" to the internet for free,

As the years went by new models were made and free for life supercharging was withdrawn, but all cars had free for 1 year internet connectivity, a referral scheme - get a new customer for Tesla and the new customer and yourself got 1000 miles of free supercharging. the build quality also became better and more consistent. They just couldn't build the cars quick enough.

My view of the model 3 is, if it was released in 2016 with the 2023 spec it would struggle to make a positive impression on the public. You say you cant believe Tesla removed so much just for cost savings - but how else can anyone justify many of the changes and removed parts reducing comfort, convenience or nice to have features and reliability whilst at the same time increasing the prices.

Around late 2019 little things were removed - like the bag hooks in the frunk and the carpet, the lights in the door card pockets - with little to no reaction from the public and come 2020 lots of equipment was removed, major changes that were being promoted as a facelift. Its quite a big list which produced considerable cost savings for Tesla - and Elon smugly states the best part is no part as you then have nothing to fail.

You mention specifically some features you view as enhancements - USB ports, all ports used to handle data - they don't now - how is that an enhancement. The laminated double glass to the front windows - this one puzzles me because if it was to reduce noise then why aren't the rear windows the same? The wheel arches insulated and the boot area. The heat pump - what a failure that has been, 5 revisions and still is noisy, unreliable and an example of an overcomplicated part that reduced the frunk storage size, fails in low temperatures, is unreliable and fails to deliver what the resistive heater always does.

Of course Tesla had added some new features I think we all would see as an enhancement - heated steering wheel, power boot - shame they did the power boot on the cheap though with only one powered strut and having to replace so many because of failures. The 3D6 motor was probably the best enhancement Tesla have done to the car - but who could agree removing Pilot Sports for Pirellis was better? and fitting the same size tyre on a new alloys that are half an inch wider creating a stretched look to the tyre. The lithium 12v battery - great enhancement but only because so many of the lead acids were having to be changed under warranty as they failed prematurely.

The only common denominator is see is significant reductions in the production costs but perhaps I'm missing something, but what do you think the reason is for your comment of "so much hate" towards Tesla?

Tesla are not trying to make the car that you think they are trying to make. That's the beginning and end of the confusion. There are a lot of posters on here that are simultaneously very pleased that Tesla pushed the envelope and drove the creation of the EV ecosystem that we have today, but now that they own one they want them to flip to being really conservative and just copying all the other manufacturers.

They have never expressed any interest in just doing an electric version of what other cars currently are, they are always aiming for 'what comes next' and so I think their reason for removing USS is that they think that with the TV mapping capability they will be able to make parking assistance features that make USS look primitive by comparison, which is entirely possible if you bear in mind all the limitations of USS sensors. They have also always had a borderline obsessive interest in simplification - more pieces is more things to go wrong, and they're always trying to take away as many of those pieces as possible.

Whether they're correct and whether they release it in a reasonable timeframe are irrelevant to the question of why they're doing it. As for why they took the hardware away so long before the software was ready I think that can only be a mistake - someone thought it'd be ready sooner than it was and they'd already set in motion the plan to take the hardware off.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
I find it hard to understand how the things removed could be remotely considered more important than the things added - in terms of 2016 vs 2023. 2023 has a few smaller things removed that are nice to have (lumbar etc) but its fundamentally a more rounded car.
No doubt I'll be accused of being a fanboy shill for saying this, but I dislike the lumbar support and I'd find the driver seat more comfortable if that was removed too.

I wonder if Elon's telemetry showing people using the driver lumbar support is all people trying to retract it to the point it stops trying to displace your vertebrae.

Reactions: Vidyutyaan
Yeah, y'see, this is where I have a problem!

Is that an option that can be set? In my MX they're always on, which is handy when trying to close gaps in heavy traffic. The beeping is often excessive but is useful if I've been distracted. What I find most useful is the proximity graphic on the dashboard, which shows up when you get within 36" (bloody imperial units) to when you're closer that 12". Do M3 and MY have this?
I believe they are deactivated/ignored above certain speed.

I wonder if Elon's telemetry showing people using the driver lumbar support is all people trying to retract it to the point it stops trying to displace your vertebrae.

As far as showing people using lumbar support was negligible is another load of Tesla BS. Most people find a position that is comfortable then never adjust it again. As far as Teslas metrics was concerned it’s been used just the once so not a necessary feature so they removed it from passenger seat. As far as Tesla was concerned they spun another cost cutting/parts availability episode. As far as the passenger is concerned, that one adjustment to get position just right is no longer possible.

Tesla are not trying to make the car that you think they are trying to make. That's the beginning and end of the confusion. There are a lot of posters on here that are simultaneously very pleased that Tesla pushed the envelope and drove the creation of the EV ecosystem that we have today, but now that they own one they want them to flip to being really conservative and just copying all the other manufacturers.

They have never expressed any interest in just doing an electric version of what other cars currently are, they are always aiming for 'what comes next' and so I think their reason for removing USS is that they think that with the TV mapping capability they will be able to make parking assistance features that make USS look primitive by comparison, which is entirely possible if you bear in mind all the limitations of USS sensors. They have also always had a borderline obsessive interest in simplification - more pieces is more things to go wrong, and they're always trying to take away as many of those pieces as possible.

Whether they're correct and whether they release it in a reasonable timeframe are irrelevant to the question of why they're doing it. As for why they took the hardware away so long before the software was ready I think that can only be a mistake - someone thought it'd be ready sooner than it was and they'd already set in motion the plan to take the hardware off.
I somewhat agree with you. But why there is so much confusion in the customer base? What is the cause of misalignment between the car Tesla is making and what customers think they are making?

I bought one of the last MS Ravens (2020) and my only regret is installing the damn upgrades. But if I shop now, I don’t think I will be looking at Tesla at all. I guess I become “educated”? Or, the company simply changed a lot in the last 2-3 years?

I somewhat agree with you. But why there is so much confusion in the customer base? What is the cause of misalignment between the car Tesla is making and what customers think they are making?

I bought one of the last MS Ravens (2020) and my only regret is installing the damn upgrades. But if I shop now, I don’t think I will be looking at Tesla at all. I guess I become “educated”? Or, the company simply changed a lot in the last 2-3 years?
I dunno. Maybe this shows that marketing/PR has one legitimate function in a company. Perhaps if they had a marketing function there would be a clear message about what it is they're trying to do and who they imagine their customer to be.

As it is we get very direct and authoritative information from the departmental leaders and obviously Musk himself, which is great, but it's not integrated in to one common message or peer reviewed. No doubt a marketing function would have pointed out that Tesla's timeline predictions are a running joke at this point and they should stop making them.

As far as showing people using lumbar support was negligible is another load of Tesla BS. Most people find a position that is comfortable then never adjust it again. As far as Teslas metrics was concerned it’s been used just the once so not a necessary feature so they removed it from passenger seat. As far as Tesla was concerned they spun another cost cutting/parts availability episode. As far as the passenger is concerned, that one adjustment to get position just right is no longer possible.
Most people only use the steering wheel adjustment once so by that logic it should just be removed 🙃

Reactions: GlynG and MrBadger
No doubt I'll be accused of being a fanboy shill for saying this, but I dislike the lumbar support and I'd find the driver seat more comfortable if that was removed too.

well, that is BS mate.
1) lumbar support is still there on the driver seat, AFAIK.
2) you can adjust it.

Reactions: H43lio
At last somebody answers the real question. Now anyone else...
I also have a non-USS car. Previous car was a Golf GTI with parking sensors, so the Y is much bigger and I was worried that I might have gotten a bit used to the assistance of the USS.

I wouldn't say I've never missed them, but I will say that the forward visibility from the driving seat in the Y is actually really good, and unlike some on here I have never had the rear and side cameras obscured to the point of not being useful. Reverse parking is a piece of cake, and generally if you're parking in a really tight spot USS would be useless anyway as they'd just be in 'panic mode' which tells you nothing.

The one place where USS would be very valuable and there is a risk that one day I'll mess up is when you're concentrating on one end of the car and might miss that eg. the front wing is about to swing in to an object. The USS suddenly chirping in to life is a warning that something has changed and you'd better check whether you're about to do something dumb, and obviously I don't get that warning at present.

Reactions: H43lio and Cnixon