Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to play music in Apple music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have AdGuard or pihole installed on your local network?
If these things don't mean anything to you, please ignore my message.

The upstream DNS server I was using in AdGuard was applying filters that were stopping the car connecting to apple music, so I suspect the car wouldn't auto play on wifi, eventually give up and swap over to LTE and play when I manually selected.

Prior to Apple Music, when listening to my own music in the car, I have a music USB and usually just listen to all songs in shuffle mode. One of the reasons I subscribed to Apple Music was because USB media playback is quirky in Teslas, and since all my music is in iTunes anyway, I figured I would have better luck streaming my music.

So far that hasn't been the case. Aside from switching from my library to "channels" without my initiating that, playback sometimes gets interrupted (spinning circle), or it will start playing songs that were just played a little while ago. Since I haven't used Apple Music streaming on my phone, I don't know if the issues I'm seeing are specific to the Tesla Apple Music app, or Apple Music in general. Although USB playback is quirky, it's more predictable than Apple Music has been so far.

If this doesn't improve, I'll probably cancel Apple Music at the end of my trial. We'll see.
After a couple of software updates, Apple Music has improved somewhat. I don’t see the spinning circle, it doesn’t skip songs, and it starts up when I get in the car.

However, I still can’t get Apple Music to play songs in My Library in random order, the way I do from a music USB. The Apple Music documentation says I should be able to do this, but when I try, the app in the car will play the song I selected but then switch to a channel based on the song, rather than playing other songs in the library. Is this a quirk of the Tesla Apple Music app?

Update: When I try to shuffle songs in My Library using the Apple Music app on my iPhone, it works as expected, so this seems to be a quirk of the Tesla implementation.

Last edited:
Got 44.30 yesterday and it's the same "Play Error". I dis- and reconnected with my account but always the same.
I can see all my music but I'm not able to play it.

Is this an integration problem from tesla or is it the Apple Music interface?

Updated from 44.30.5 to 44.30.10 yesterday. Apple Music worked fine on .5, but reports a connection error on .10. I logged out of AM and back in, and rebooted the car - neither helped. Like other posters, all my music and playlists are visible, but tapping anything results in the spinning arrow that eventually times out with the connection error.

I am still on 44.30.5 but am not signed up for aggressive updates so I guess they're still working out the kinks. According to the fleet tracker, 2023.2.10 seems to be rolling out right now to a lot of cars, so hopefully this fixes these issues. I've haven't been able to use Apple Music since the end of December.

I did some troubleshooting this afternoon, but it did not resolve the Playback Error. I checked whether Apple Music worked in both my and my wife’s profile, logged out in both profiles, turned off the Apple Music source, and powered down the car. Essentially I tried to remove every vestige of AM, but turning it all back on did not eliminate the error. The same behavior persists - selecting a song to play will appear to succeed but the actual song playback fails. Looks like we’ll need a software fix from Tesla and/or Apple.

Reactions: Bogan
Hello, my names Franky and I too am a victim of the Apple Music bug😂

I’m on FSD beta and have been since the beginning. When Apple Music was introduced, it worked for me flawlessly until about a week ago. I was getting lots of wind noise and such and need to go back for repairs for the 3rd time and turns out my glass wasn’t sealed correctly. They gave me a loaner and Apple Music worked fine in the loaner too. My car was finished and I went to return the loaner and was logged out of it and when I got into my car, I had the error. I did the scroll wheel reboot and all worked fine and then that same day it went back to the playback/choose media error and has never worked since. I’ve logged out several times, I’ve rebooted, and allowed the car to go into a deep sleep and still can’t get it to play anything. I see all my music there but none of it plays, I have Apple Music family and everything works fine everywhere else and other apps work in the car, but Apple Music.

I made a repair request and they responded with “It’s a known bug and they’re hoping it’s fixed in a future software update”.

Hello, my names Franky and I too am a victim of the Apple Music bug😂

I’m on FSD beta and have been since the beginning. When Apple Music was introduced, it worked for me flawlessly until about a week ago. I was getting lots of wind noise and such and need to go back for repairs for the 3rd time and turns out my glass wasn’t sealed correctly. They gave me a loaner and Apple Music worked fine in the loaner too. My car was finished and I went to return the loaner and was logged out of it and when I got into my car, I had the error. I did the scroll wheel reboot and all worked fine and then that same day it went back to the playback/choose media error and has never worked since. I’ve logged out several times, I’ve rebooted, and allowed the car to go into a deep sleep and still can’t get it to play anything. I see all my music there but none of it plays, I have Apple Music family and everything works fine everywhere else and other apps work in the car, but Apple Music.

I made a repair request and they responded with “It’s a known bug and they’re hoping it’s fixed in a future software update”.
I also had a repair request. Tesla calls back and the technic explains to me, that if I start AM there is a huge download request in the back which leads to the error. He asked if I have a very big playlist or something which I don't. He finally gave me the same answer that they will fix it in a future update.
After that, I checked Spotify and that's funny. Because if I don't open AM after a deep sleep Spotify works well but if I open AM first and get the error I also get an endless loading message in Spotify. Let's see when they will fix it. Hopefully, it won't take so long!