Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to play music in Apple music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just downloaded latest update. I’m unable to play anything from Apple Music. Keeps saying “choose media source” in the player. I have free premium connectivity Jan 2020 M3. Anyone else have this issue?
Yup, I see the same. What I found is I had to skip forward a track, which would get that track to play. But, getting back in the car caused the progress spinner to run indefinitely until I skipped forward again.

Even tried rebooting the infotainment system (holding down both thumbwheels), but same experience.

What happens when you click on the apple music icon? Do you get a request to log in using your Apple ID?

I know nothing about vehicle entertainment systems but the login is what I see when I click on Apple Music. I assume you need a paid subscription to use Apple Music? Or, is it part of your Iphone plan and all you have to give them is an Apple I.D. ?

I need some schooling on this...

Yea I pay $11/mon and can use it on any apple device. You can get a free subscription via you cell carrier as part of your plan. Verizon has at least three. Everything with apple is based on your Apple ID. If you don’t have one you’d get it when you sign up. Then it works for any paid subscription e.g. Apple music, apple arcade

Reactions: dusty22
I know nothing about vehicle entertainment systems but the login is what I see when I click on Apple Music. I assume you need a paid subscription to use Apple Music? Or, is it part of your Iphone plan and all you have to give them is an Apple I.D. ?

I need some schooling on this...
Yes, you need to subscribe to Apple Music in order to use it. As the previous reply indicated, you might be able to get a trial subscription through your cell carrier or when buying certain Apple products, but you need a subscription in all cases.

I am getting a similar issue, but I can login and play fine. But if I get out of the car then next time I enter I have to go through picking Apple Music as a source and starting a song all over again. It doesn’t pick up where I left off, frustrating.

This sometimes happens with the other streaming services too. If the car doesn't get a good internet connection right away, it will either ask you to choose a music source or default to radio.
Has not happened to me yet with the others.
When I have poor connectivity changing stations, sources etc will make it stop. But if I get in the car and just go the music will too.
But Apple music doesn't pick up where it left off at any time. As soon as you "turn the car off" (for lack of other words) and then get back in the car 2 minutes later I need to select a playlist or album, etc and press play. The others will continue where it left off.

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering about Tunein. I am able to use that service without a subscription. Does Tesla have an agreement with them to provide free access to Tesla owners?
Tunin and Apple Music are completely different. One is streaming radio stations, the other is you have accessed to the whole apple library and you can make your own playlists, play any song you want at any time (even stuff you ripped from CDs and apple doesn't have), etc. It's like Netflix where as Tunin is like broadcast network TV

Has not happened to me yet with the others.
When I have poor connectivity changing stations, sources etc will make it stop. But if I get in the car and just go the music will too.
But Apple music doesn't pick up where it left off at any time. As soon as you "turn the car off" (for lack of other words) and then get back in the car 2 minutes later I need to select a playlist or album, etc and press play. The others will continue where it left off.
It sometimes happens to me with the default streaming service (whatever they call Slacker these days).

I signed up for Apple Music today and tried it in the car a little while ago. I'm on 2022.44.25.5 (FSD Beta 10.69.25). I went to the Library tab, selected Songs, and started playing, selected shuffle mode. After I read your post, I went back to the car to see what would happen, but for me it resumed playing where it left off. Maybe the car has to sleep before the problem occurs?

When I drive the car tomorrow, I'll see if it resumes and report back here.

When I got in the car today, it attempted to resume Apple Music playback from where it left off yesterday. The correct song was shown, but I had the spinning circle where the play/pause control goes. I waited a bit but it didn't change, so I skipped ahead to the next song, and it started playing. Not a connectivity issue, as I was on WiFi in my garage.

As I noted in my previous comment, Apple Music is tied to your profile. Maybe those of you who aren't seeing Apple Music (try to) resume playback are using multiple profiles. If you're the only driver, maybe Easy Entry (which I don't use) is responsible. If you're not using multiple profiles or Easy Entry, I don't know why your experience is different from mine (if you're also on 2022.44.25.5).

Update: I drove my car a little while ago, and it resumed playing on Apple Music, but from the song that it was having trouble playing earlier, not the one I skipped ahead to. Strange.

Last edited:
The Apple Music adventure continues: After driving a bit more, I noticed Apple Music was playing other songs in the same genre of the song I chose initially (jazz), even though I have a variety of genres in my library. When I looked at the display, I saw that Apple Music had created a channel based on my original song and was playing that channel. To get it back to playing random songs, I had to select a new song from the Songs list. It's not that I didn't enjoy the channel, but it isn't what I asked for.

The Apple Music adventure continues: After driving a bit more, I noticed Apple Music was playing other songs in the same genre of the song I chose initially (jazz), even though I have a variety of genres in my library. When I looked at the display, I saw that Apple Music had created a channel based on my original song and was playing that channel. To get it back to playing random songs, I had to select a new song from the Songs list. It's not that I didn't enjoy the channel, but it isn't what I asked for.
That’s a feature, not a bug. There is an infinity icon somewhere, which is on by default on Apple Music. You should be able to turn that off and then it will stop playing after it reaches the end of your song/album.