Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I asked this question in the 'Charging' thread but no-one answered. I have the Gen 3 Wall charger at home and was wondering if I really need this Mobile Connector at $550. I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it might be helpful. I understand that if you're in a region where there's nothing else... of course. But it's a lot of 'hootch' for little result perhaps. Anyone with the kit that might offer advice?

I’m in Thredbo now staying in a chalet with garage and a power point. With the blessing of the owner, I have my car plugged in at 1kW (5A) charging using that mobile adapter. It’ll take me close to three days to fully charge at this rate which is fine for our stay, but it saves me having to fight all the other Teslas in town for the single Tesla destination charger controlled by the hotel.

Having said that, looks like Thredbo has just last week installed public chargers at the car park! 4 x BYO cable type 2 chargers

Yep 4x dual outlet so right parking spots. And Free as well (which is amazing for a ski resort).

I've equally only used mine a handful of times when on holidays..
But it is the ultimate range anxiety solution - there is literally a PowerPoint anywhere if you ask around.. just always get permission.

But if your use of an electric car is around the city and ocassionally on major highways, you probably won't really need it.

You still need it (ideally with quicker tails) if you are going really remote.

(If you just want the ultimate 10A backup with no swappable tails), some cheaper options around as well - MIDA Adjustable Portable EV Charger | 6A 8A 10A | Type 2 AU Plug

I use my Mobile charger as a wall charger with the NEMA 14-50 adapter. I noticed that Tesla doesn't include them any longer, so when I traded in my 2020 Model 3 for a Y, I held on to mine. They didn't ask if I included it (actually, they never really looked at my car). If I had no charger at all, I'd go with the wall charger and be done with it.

Reactions: Power Hungry
I’m tossing up the same. Have the wall charger in a carport but couldn’t run enough power to the garage without having to trench the backyard.

I think I’ll get one ‘just in case’ and maybe for the occasional top up in the garage or to precondition and not drain the battery.

There are places you can buy a granny charger for less than $300. I bought one a while back (for $290 if memory serves) when my car kept dropping to half speed on my UMC. The cheapies aren't as versatile as the Tesla one, being locked at 10 amps with no swappable tails, and no quick disconnect button, but they're fine.

Keep in mind that with AC charging, brand loyalty is pointless. All an AC EVSE really does is:
  • Bridge the PP and PE to prevent the car from driving off while it's connected
  • Be configured to say it isn't in a ventilated area (which it never will be, except for certain EVSEs outside warehouses)
  • Put out a signal saying "I can supply (x) amps" (based on the configuration from the manufacturer, or for hardwired EVSEs, the installer). For some more advanced hardwired EVSEs, this can change throughout the charging session.
  • Listen for the car to say "I'd like power now" (and, in very limited circumstances (forklifts with lead acid batteries) "I hope I'm in a ventilated area")
  • Then click to life, and wait to be told to stop.
The car does literally everything else, including deciding how much power it wants to draw from however many the charger said it had available. With AC charging, there's no power conditioning of any type on the EVSE side (unlike DC charging). All the hardware is in the car. If the car doesn't like the power supplied, it'll reduce how many amps it draws, or shut down completely.

OK, rant over. If there's a risk you'll run out on a holiday road trip, get a portable charger. But not necessarily the $550 Tesla one.

All an AC EVSE really does is:
  • Bridge the PP and PE to prevent the car from driving off while it's connected
  • Be configured to say it isn't in a ventilated area (which it never will be, except for certain EVSEs outside warehouses)
  • Put out a signal saying "I can supply (x) amps" (based on the configuration from the manufacturer, or for hardwired EVSEs, the installer). For some more advanced hardwired EVSEs, this can change throughout the charging session.
  • Listen for the car to say "I'd like power now" (and, in very limited circumstances (forklifts with lead acid batteries) "I hope I'm in a ventilated area")
  • Then click to life, and wait to be told to stop.
The UMC does a few other things:
  • Monitor the temperature of each detachable connection and reduce the advertised charging current on overtemperature;
  • Check for a good safety ground connection;
  • Check for ground faults;
  • Check for grid under- and over-voltage conditions.

I have the Gen 3 Wall charger at home and was wondering if I really need this Mobile Connector at $550. I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it might be helpful… Anyone with the kit that might offer advice?

I’ve used my UMC about 1-2 times a year. Situations where I have used it:
  • Overnight charging at cabins/holiday houses. Even if the nearby town has public chargers (and usually they don’t), I find this more convenient because you get enough charge overnight for day tripping and don’t need to go looking for chargers.
  • Overnight charging in remote locations where there are no other charging options within cooee.
  • Soaking up excess solar at friends’ houses if they offer, so why not.
So it depends on whether you think you’ll ever do drives or trips like this. Even as public chargers become far more common, there will still be times I think when the UMC might come in handy.

Circumstances can change. I had a wall connector with 3 phase, but sold my house and now have to go back to a plug in the garage while renting. That wasn't planned (someone from Sydney with too much money made an off market offer I couldn't refuse) and I'm grateful that I have the UMC. I've used it when traveling and staying at my sister's house over Xmas.

It's basically an insurance policy. You probably won't need it, but when you do need it you'll be thankful you had it.