Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlucky parking lot encounter captured on dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my luck...

I was parked facing outward last night when a teenage girl scuffed the passenger side of my bumper and my 21" cyclone wheel while parking.

She was distraught and beside herself with remorse. Basically couldn't even speak and called her father to come down.

He showed up a few minutes later in a Model S! Not a TMC member.

I have his drivers license and phone number but we didn't file a police report. I'm going to send him the estimate from Chilton on Monday. A few bad scuffs on the bumper, minor deformity and it popped off some of the wheel well attachments.

Dashcam video of her parking below.

[video]http://bit.ly/1OeKKF5[/video]

Last edited:
I can bet you that teen will never have an accident again. Better this way than dead fighting over music with 4 friends in car.

Ugh. Flashback to residency. Four cheerleaders wrapped around a tree in Philadelphia. Three died in the OR. Mine made it up to the ICU and passed there. Had to run the gauntlet of family in the waiting room transporting her there. Why do they build hospitals that way?

I think that was the first time I cried at work.

She was distraught and beside herself with remorse.

Sorry for your bad luck, but this part is actually encouraging to hear--like there really are teenagers out there that care about other people.

A few years ago a teenager backed out of a parking space (didn't seem to have looked) and rammed into my door (not the S, fortunately). She didn't seem to even care. Didn't apologize or anything. Later I found out that was her umpteenth fender bender...

Reactions: Kacey Green
Ugh. Flashback to residency. Four cheerleaders wrapped around a tree in Philadelphia. Three died in the OR. Mine made it up to the ICU and passed there. Had to run the gauntlet of family in the waiting room transporting her there. Why do they build hospitals that way?

I think that was the first time I cried at work.

When I was a teenager (16) in SW Kansas, I was coming home late night from work on a back road that's seldom used after dark because of the curves and such. I happen to be paying more attention than normal and noticed skid marks that weren't there when I took that same road earlier in the day then I followed them with my eyes to the back of a car off the side of the road upside down so I stopped... Called 911 then noticed there was no-one in the car but the windshield was busted out so I started calling out for someone and walked around in the dark (before cell phones had lights on them) until I heard a groan. Found the individual which I didn't know, I say that because where I"m from it's rare you come across someone you don't know, and then noticed the grizzly details of his situation. He was wrapped around a fence post and well it was just bad. While waiting for the paramedics he died, it was the second time I'd seen someone die but this circumstance was unlike anything I'd ever seen, or have seen since.

That was almost 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday... I had to have someone come get me to drive me home, I simply couldn't function. I can't imagine the horrors that trauma ward doctors see on an hourly basis, I don't know how they do it...

Jeff

unlucky parking

This happened last week
IMG_2572.jpg
while waiting to pick the wife up at her doll club.
Poppy (dog) and I (Bill) were sitting in the car reading the Warrantee agreement (ironic) when a young lady 18, in a old Ranger, trying to slow down for her drive way. Locked up her wheels and lost directional control. Slammed into the side of our car bounced off and skidded to a stop in front of us.
We are on our way to Portland in the morning to start repairs. What a pain, even though her insurance said they would take care of it. It will involve at least 2000 miles of travel plus a long stay.

@ Jeffro01 - Well, I'm sorry the guy died but you should be thankful that you were given the opportunity to learn a very pointed lesson (at someone else's expense) on why you should always wear your seat belt. I hope at least this poor chap's sad demise will mean that you and you family never find yourselves in the same situation. A salutary lesson for us all. MW

Last edited:
Does anyone try to park away from other cars? Not sure if it does any good?
We absolutely do this religiously.

It backfired on us the last time we were at Costco, however. Got a nice wide spot, under some heavy shade tree. Upon returning, the just-washed car was covered in grackle poop.

That one I can laugh off, unlike you who have posted photos above. I am so sorry for all of you.