Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unofficial windows phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know more about the guys who made the other app, Tesla Commander?

I didn't feel like trying it out because the Tesla Connect app is already working, and also, when you think about it, you are trusting that the app will correctly report the car's state and send the right commands. Imagine if the climate control was on for hours by mistake or something. The API's very simple, and so that shouldn't really be a problem, but still, I'm a little more comfortable knowing that ahimberg is part of the TMC community versus some other developer that I have no experience with. I'm not trying to say anything bad about them; they have several apps in the marketplace, but I have no experience with any of them.

The author of Tesla commander has an existing popular app, leaf commander, but he does not own a Tesla. We both work at the same company, how I heard of it from our internal Tesla discussion alias.

I'm still traveling but in a few days will get an update submitted for phone and then get the win8 app ready for the appstore
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

I'm still traveling but in a few days will get an update submitted for phone and then get the win8 app ready for the appstore
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Awesome! Can't wait for the Win8 app too!

I want to thank you publicly for this app. Sunday I was playing soccer, and it was about 28F outside. Right at the end of the game I turned the heat to 86F and by the time I had my stuff packed and my boots off my car was an oven. It was magically decadent.

hahaha. I love being a software engineer. The things we can do...nothing is impossible! Nice job man. I'm surprised no-one's use the Model S REST API through a web page yet. Then any phone with a browser can use it.

Keep in mind that if you're using someone's web page, you must provide your Tesla authentication details (username/password) to that web site for it to pass on to Tesla. Not something I would recommend doing unless you have full trust in the web site administrators. I would wait for a Tesla version - surprised they didn't start with a web app.

Back from 3 weeks in Costa Rica..

The update to the Tesla Connect windows phone app is now available in the windows phone store. (Took awhile due to an issue with certification of phone7 devices with the fake creds I had the certifiers use or it would have shown up while I was out of town).

Compared to the original release:
> You can now set climate temp
> Improvements to reporting of status in numerous places (climate control status, charging/voltage, roof status)
> Improvements to error handling with server communications, changing the account creds used for login, app resume on low memory devices, etc
> updates to visuals

and an update on the Windows8 app -- I have the same functionality as the phone app working, but haven't had time to get it visually looking good.

For the Windows Phone users, an update will appear for you soon which:

1) Adds Charge Timer support, which will tell you when charging is scheduled to start if the start is pending
2) Adds support for showing range in ideal miles, km distance (set in car)
3) Drive status reporting (Parked, in reverse/neutral/drive, speed if moving)

(another update coming will improve chargetimer support -- I didn't have 4.3 yet when this update was submitted for certification)

For the Windows Phone users, an update will appear for you soon which:

1) Adds Charge Timer support, which will tell you when charging is scheduled to start if the start is pending
2) Adds support for showing range in ideal miles, km distance (set in car)
3) Drive status reporting (Parked, in reverse/neutral/drive, speed if moving)

(another update coming will improve chargetimer support -- I didn't have 4.3 yet when this update was submitted for certification)

Thanks for all your work. App is great.

Thanks!

yes -- 0.4.0 is available as of a couple days ago -- which adds some location support: (1) lookup of closest address from GPS coordinates, (2) showing the car's location on a map.
Screenshot #5 shows the location page, with a simulated location of being parked at the Tesla Factory in Fremont :)

future improvements for location will be (a) showing where the phone is currently on the map (optionally - turning on phone GPS eats a lot of battery), (b) use of the streaming notifications for realtime updates on the car speed & location (c) directions to your car/will require separate WP8 specific release.
(a) is mostly done, tweaking the auto-zoom behavior there still since its a bit awkward when you're in the car and it zooms super far in. (b) is a little further out.

I do not track usage or have any phone home to know how many active users there are of the app now, but there have been 500 downloads which is a pretty good percentage of Tesla's out there

This app is very cool! I did find that I was logging out accidentally the first few times. Maybe a confirm button on logout would help. I'd also like a Live Tile to show me my charging status. I was going to write this app when I saw that the API exists, but I'm glad to see that I don't have to!

A confirm log out is coming, beta users have had it for a few weeks... That and some live streaming support will be coming in a week or so, its ready I just haven't submitted the final stuff for certification yet
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

An update should be rolling out today to users of the app:

> Adds streaming API support, a couple notes:
0. if you switch to the location tab really fast on startup, it might not start streaming since it doesn't have the token yet, switching away and back restarts streaming (you'll see status text if it is streaming)
1. if the car is not moving when you switch to the location tab, the stream session will timeout after a minute, and won't try to resume streaming unless you move away from location and go back to it
2. it defaults to keeping the map centered on the car location, if you touch the map that turns off, just tap the car on the top right to turn centering back on
your location 'me' can be turned on

Along with this update some other smaller changes:
> confirmation request when pressing signout
> fewer network requests to bing/GPS reverse lookup when the car hasn't moved or is moving and you're refreshing manually a lot (updates every 30sec now)

I'll be adding some support for the v4.5 tesla software update to report the car's charge limits, haven't seen if the official apps will be able to change those settings yet or just report what they're set to.

Has anybody else noticed weirdness when venting the pano roof using this app? Sometimes the roof will pop open, and then immediately reclose (or the reverse if already open). I've never experienced the issue actually in the car - it only seems to occur with the app. I need to test direct calls to the API to see if it repros there as well, but I haven't figured out the exact repro yet (it works fine sometimes, and sometimes not).

Seen this. My guess is it happens if maybe a choppy 3G signal. Like maybe it's sending two half signals or something. Other theory is that in hot weather the rubber seal "sticks" a bit and a pressure sensor tells the roof: hold on- don't open now!

Edit: I just noticed this thread is in regards to the makeshift windows app. Note that I have noticed the pano venting issue on the iPhone app, so I don't think it is "app-specific"

Last edited: