Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Unplugged Performance Dual Rate LOWERING Spring Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@UnpluggedP can you post up the bumper clearance heights from the OEM suspension compared to the versions you offer?

Thank you.
It's on their website:

By the numbers as a reference, the Model 3 has a front bumper clearance (measured at the front bottom center) of 8.0″ which reduces to approx. 6.5″ on Moderate and approx. 6.0″ on Low. To be sure, please measure clearances on your car and subtract by the inch drop of the version product you are considering.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: rossa and Tony_YYZ
It's on their website:

By the numbers as a reference, the Model 3 has a front bumper clearance (measured at the front bottom center) of 8.0″ which reduces to approx. 6.5″ on Moderate and approx. 6.0″ on Low. To be sure, please measure clearances on your car and subtract by the inch drop of the version product you are considering.
Thank you. Don't know how I missed that.

I got my moderate springs installed by Unplugged Performance today, which was all well and good until I pulled into my garage tonight. My underground garage is on a bit of a decline, and as I was pulling in my car bottomed out on the concrete, and scraped up the whole underside of the car until I was in the garage. I pulled out of the garage and tried again at an angle, but same thing. Seems like the middle 1/3 or so of the battery pack scrapes along the concrete.

So my question is this - do I just let it be and assume that the protective layer under the battery pack will keep everything safe there for hundreds upon hundreds of entrances and exits per year, for years on end, or do I ask them to remove the springs and maybe install the mild version instead?

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere
So my question is this - do I just let it be and assume that the protective layer under the battery pack will keep everything safe there for hundreds upon hundreds of entrances and exits per year, for years on end, or do I ask them to remove the springs and maybe install the mild version instead?
You don't leave the springs as-is. You hit an issue with your battery pack, and I would expect the Tesla service center will see the massive scrapings happening on the plate and will deny warranty replacement. So you either go back to stock or get something that doesn't lower them as much.

Just got my springs today as well! I'd be curious what other people are paying for install as well.
I was quoted $300 for install by UP and $400 (cash) for install by an independent shop here in Santa Barbara.

Question for Unplugged Performance. It appears that you offer a coilover solution. How much would that cost?
I emailed UP and they told me coilovers will be $2195 or $1995 if you pre-order. Mountain Pass Performance also has coilovers in development for $200 deposit, not sure on final cost.

@UnpluggedP – Can you comment on the camber / tire wear issues discussed in this thread?
Lowering Springs and Suspension Issues

I would love to know what kind of tire wear has or has not been observed in your testing. I would be ok with a bit of uneven wear if it meant the tires needed replaced 5-10k miles sooner. But if we're talking about the tire life cutting in half that's less desirable.

Also curious how this differs for the mild drop.

@UnpluggedP – Can you comment on the camber / tire wear issues discussed in this thread?
Lowering Springs and Suspension Issues

I would love to know what kind of tire wear has or has not been observed in your testing. I would be ok with a bit of uneven wear if it meant the tires needed replaced 5-10k miles sooner. But if we're talking about the tire life cutting in half that's less desirable.

Also curious how this differs for the mild drop.

After alignment specs are pretty close to factory so have not seen or heard of issues at this point. Mild version has not been installed on a car yet so no real wold data on those yet

Can anyone comment on the driveability of the 1.5 inch drop?

I’m pretty used to driving with a 2 inch drop, however since my wife will drive the car 1 to 2 days a week I need to be sure that with the 1.5 inch drop she won’t have any issues with

- taking driveways, dips, and speed bumps head on
- not slowing down for driveways, dips, and speed bumps

Should I just wait for the 0.7 inch drop? Or coilovers and go at least 1 inch.

That being said, I was parked next to a Hyundai Kona and the Model 3 had more wheel gap than the Kona!!!

Can anyone comment on the driveability of the 1.5 inch drop?

I’m pretty used to driving with a 2 inch drop, however since my wife will drive the car 1 to 2 days a week I need to be sure that with the 1.5 inch drop she won’t have any issues with

- taking driveways, dips, and speed bumps head on
- not slowing down for driveways, dips, and speed bumps

Should I just wait for the 0.7 inch drop? Or coilovers and go at least 1 inch.

That being said, I was parked next to a Hyundai Kona and the Model 3 had more wheel gap than the Kona!!!
I would say that if this is something you're worried about, I would hold off and get the mild drop or get the coilers.

When I did mine, the front dropped by 1.5 in and rear dropped by 2.0 in.