Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't say it's profits that driving the highly optioned Model 3s first. That's inaccurate. It's revenues. It's not a profit until all the debt incurred in building up the infrastructure is paid off.

I think that must be a typo. Reeler's invite that started this post clearly says the 31st.

I feel like the 30th is what it SHOULD be. Wouldn't that make more sense? Currently, if it holds, they are inviting people to come reserve their Model 3 without even seeing as much as a silhouette teaser. From a business perspective that's a huge risk. OR, show the car, blow everyone's mind, and have the luxury of telling those that DON'T know about it, "you can reserve YOURS as early as tomorrow at any of our stores and online starting the 1st." *Cue the excited crowds*

... Has Tesla announced the location yet? Or are you assuming they will have it at their Hawthorne Airport location.

Maybe they have a different location planned. Remember, this past September for the Model X delivery party, they did not use the Fremont Factory, but something close by.
Yes, that is my assumption... The portion of an invite that was posted up-thread mentioned 'Southern California' -- no actual location. My response was mostly tongue-in-cheek, of course. I presume that Tesla Motors' intent is to do the reveal in the Los Angeles area. Though, I wouldn't mind too much if they were to do it at some place like the Irvine Spectrum.

The party for the D announcement (at the Hawthorne Airport) the parking was a nightmare. Maybe they have something else planned for M3.
Yeah. I just let my Brother drop me off when I went, then called him to pick me up afterward. I think some people just parked across the street, in what I think was a Lowe's Hardware parking lot. Still, it seemed that the valet parking team was working as fast as they could, and were even adding a charge to those cars that needed it at the Superchargers.

Really though...? Parking can be an issue just about anywhere in Los Angeles. I remember a lot of people saying, "I've never seen so many Tesla's before in my life!" at the Tesla Motors 'D' Event. I suspect that Elon Musk would prefer such things were much more intimate, 200-to-300 people at a time... But they end up being closer to 2,000+ instead. I hope they realize that the press may well be there in FORCE this time around, so a much larger venue might be prudent -- even for a 15-minute presentation. Ultimately though, as some may be arriving 'on fumes' it might be best to make sure that they choose a place that is co-located with a Supercharger -- instead of the Sports Arena or Stub Hub! Center.

Here in L.A., I see that all the time. A friend of mine refers to 320is in Hollywood as assistants' cars because a lot of them buy what I've seen described as "poverty pack" 3 series in order to look the part when they have to be around their bosses' clients and their own co-workers.
I've noticed this as well over the years. There are dozens of used car lots from Long Beach to North Hills that offer BMW 3-Series cars on the cheap. Unfortunately, it seems that what people 'save' on a car note, they end up paying on maintenance and repairs. Oh, well -- at least they get the 'status' they crave.

Would be hysterical if he came out with a binder and started showing sketches that the camera had to zoom in on. Maybe flip to some crayon drawings, bad ones... and then drop the curtain or roll out the car.
I'm Red Sage, and I approve this message.

I'm sure reservations on the 31'st will just be that exactly. Called my local store and they said that you wont have to wait for the unveiling/announcement to reserve it. They plan on fully staffing the showroom that day and will take reservations. Information on the car wont be available until the announcement in LA.

As to the order in which reservations will be counted, I'm guessing they will do it based on region and reach out to everyone at the same time when more information is available.

As they start manufacturing, I'm sure they will reach out to people that have reservations and start asking them to either build the cars online or come back into the showroom and customize it there. The more expensive builds might get built and delivered first.
I think that could work just fine.

This Zdnet article claims the unveiling is on March 30th not 31st! And that the date was confirmed by Tesla today (but doesn't have any links to a source statement)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-model-3-unveiling-march-30-everything-you-need-to-know/

They've now updated the article to say March 31st. I thought March 30 made sense as you could unveil it March 30 in the evening in SoCal, let the people attending the event get first reservations, and then let people at stores worldwide start reserving on 3/31. Guess not.

I think that must be a typo. Reeler's invite that started this post clearly says the 31st.

It better be the 31st since I bought airfare already. The thing is, the folks attending the reveal in the past had first dibs on doing a reservation. Everyone thinks reservations will be available at stores on the 31st so that must not be the case this time.

I suppose waiting in line at a store on the East Coast will get you the first reservation.

It better be the 31st since I bought airfare already. The thing is, the folks attending the reveal in the past had first dibs on doing a reservation. Everyone thinks reservations will be available at stores on the 31st so that must not be the case this time.

I suppose waiting in line at a store on the East Coast will get you the first reservation.

PM sent.

I'm sure reservations on the 31'st will just be that exactly. Called my local store and they said that you wont have to wait for the unveiling/announcement to reserve it. They plan on fully staffing the showroom that day and will take reservations. Information on the car wont be available until the announcement in LA.

As to the order in which reservations will be counted, I'm guessing they will do it based on region and reach out to everyone at the same time when more information is available.

As they start manufacturing, I'm sure they will reach out to people that have reservations and start asking them to either build the cars online or come back into the showroom and customize it there. The more expensive builds might get built and delivered first.
Agreed. And if they do it the way they did the S and the X, then reservation number will only dictate when you get invited to configure, not when you get your car, and they'll open it up in large batches. Once configured and *confirmed*, the specific mix of options will dictate when your Model 3 gets built, not your reservation number. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I will not need to see the Model 3 to reserve one, nor test drive it to confirm my order. If it's a Tesla with 200 miles of range and is around 75 inches wide (or less), then it's a done deal.

So who wants to get in line at the Manhattan Tesla store with me the morning of March 31st? Anyone? Beuller?

- - - Updated - - -

This statement has been thrown around quite a few threads so I have to ask, is there a reason a more expensive build will be rolled out first? Is this something Tesla did with the S and/or X? I'm new to the Tesla world so I'm trying to get an understanding of everything.
Yes, Tesla did this with the S and is doing it with the X (more or less). This helps to maximize revenue while they are production constrained. But it's not just a Tesla thing. Many other car companies build and release the highly optioned, more expensive models first when they have something that's in high demand. They know they can get a few folks to upgrade to a higher cost, more profitable model in order to get their cars first. It was the same with the Toyota Highlander Hybrid when it first came out in 2005. If you wanted to get one of the first batch of Highlander Hybrids, you had to order the fully loaded Limited edition.

If infact deposits are sight unseen, can orders be cancelled with refunds or at least be applied to a pre owned Model S?

Based on the way Model X and Model S deposits are taken, they can be fully refunded up until you configure the car (i.e. select options just before it is built). If you try to order a Model S today, there is language in the deposit contract discussing how this works.

Congrats to yall who got your invite, that is awesome!

I live in Woodland Hills and would love to go to this. This is looking to be my first Brand New Car I am goign to be buying since getting off Active Duty in the Army.
If anyone has a +1 I would highly appreciate it :)

Otherwise, does anyone know of how else I can catch as much of this event as possible?

Thank you in advance.

Congrats to yall who got your invite, that is awesome!

I live in Woodland Hills and would love to go to this. This is looking to be my first Brand New Car I am goign to be buying since getting off Active Duty in the Army.
If anyone has a +1 I would highly appreciate it :)

Otherwise, does anyone know of how else I can catch as much of this event as possible?

Thank you in advance.
They typically live stream these events.

I don't understand the folks who spend more to gain a tax credit ... but each to their own :)
IIRC though, the tax credit is full amount for a certain number of cars sold and then goes through a staged phase-out by quarter years. So the real unknown but practical question is how quickly Tesla can ramp up production.

I don't understand the folks who spend more to gain a tax credit ...
Look at the Model S as an example. If choosing the $1500 "All Glass Panoramic Roof" option pushed you over the edge for delivering your car in time for the $7500 federal tax credit, you're netting $6000 -- in states without sales tax. Even in states with sales tax, you're prolly coming out ahead.