Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't expect many low optioned M3 to be ordered. Think about the demographic buying A4 and 3 Series. Do you really see many without a lot of options?

But remember that it was a lot of people that stretched to go for Model S - as this was, and except Model X still is the only mid-to-long-range BEV. Expect the some of the same for Model 3 even there will be a few alternatives. So even if it positioned against 3-series and A4, do not expect (only) the same demographic.

Given the Model X debacle, I think going to the event is nuts. Unless you want to heckle Elon Musk when he arrives late and doesn't apologize.

My recommendation is that anyone who goes to the Model 3 event should (1) Take an afternoon nap (2) eat dinner before going to the event and (3) take a snack and water/drink with them to the event.

In the aftermath of the chaotic Model X event, I observed from the comments here that some attendees were upset at the lack of food and really tired because the event started very late. There was free booze available, but that's really not a substitute for decent food and sleep. If people arrive well fed and rested, and equipped with energy snacks, any dumb things that happen, like overcrowding and Axl Rose showing up late to open the show, will be easier to tolerate.

It would be interesting to see how many A4 BMW 3 buyers switch over compared to Prius and Camry.

It'll be interesting to see who buys them, because we're all so set in thinking same size, similar market, etc. I personally feel this will appeal to people simply shopping in the $30K-$40K range. For example, BMW was over-confident (IMO) about the i3, which even at a base msrp of $42K managed to sell 11,000+ units in year one in the US alone and that was with soft demand. In addition, BMW themselves followed up saying the demand for the i3 was lower than anticipated.

Meanwhile in TeslaLand 2015, the Model S topped the charts in sales volume at 25K+ units, followed by a distant Nissan Leaf at 17K+. So if BMW owners didn't make the jump from a 3-Series (~$32K~$85K) to the i3 @ ~$42K, something went wrong. Those same owners that can't particularly afford the frontrunner (TSLA) and stand by in the grandstands, now have a viable and obtainable option. It would be like if Ferrari came out with a $75,000 sports car, a huge bucket of the market would be in just for the nameplate and the prestige of "owning a Ferrari".

My point of all this rambling is that I feel the Model 3 will be a game changer on MANY levels. I feel it will appeal to a wider market than they're expecting, and I also feel it will be a benchmark and a standard from the day it's released. Just as when the first Prius came over in 2001, Southern California has never been the same. I am expecting no less with the Model 3, and likely will be the vehicle to finally complete the changeover from hybrid to full EV on a mass scale.

I don't understand what you mean. For both the Model S and Model X it was very clear that they were shipping the larger battery configs first and the lower configs later (for the Model S it made no difference whether you got performance or not, for the Model X they are doing performance versions first). The whole quote about higher options coming first was just Elon saying that they were going to be doing this the same way with the Model 3 that they did with the Model S and Model X.
Okay, I'll give you that one. Tesla sold the first units of the S, and now the X, as Signature models. So yeah, the more you pay the sooner you get it. But that was kind of an understanding with the Signature series. With the Model 3 he said no Sigs, but then said the more you pay the sooner you get it. Semantics, I suppose.

Okay, I'll give you that one. Tesla sold the first units of the S, and now the X, as Signature models. So yeah, the more you pay the sooner you get it. But that was kind of an understanding with the Signature series. With the Model 3 he said no Sigs, but then said the more you pay the sooner you get it. Semantics, I suppose.

I'm not talking about signatures at all. After the signatures the Model S sold first the 85kWh and then the 60kWh all will air suspension, and the the models with standard suspension and then finally the people who ordered (discontinued) 40's. With the Model X they are going from signatures to performance versions to non-performance 90's (in a couple months) to 70's (sometime later). People who reserved the Model X on day one and decided on ordering a 70kWh version will be behind many thousands of people who reserved after them but configured higher models (same as it was with the Model S).

Well, actually... The closest airport is next door to the Tesla Design Center/SpaceX... But you'd probably need a chartered flight or private plane to land at Hawthorne Airport.

Red Sage
Has Tesla announced the location yet? Or are you assuming they will have it at their Hawthorne Airport location.

Maybe they have a different location planned. Remember, this past September for the Model X delivery party, they did not use the Fremont Factory, but something close by.

The party for the D announcement (at the Hawthorne Airport) the parking was a nightmare. Maybe they have something else planned for M3.

I don't expect many low optioned M3 to be ordered. Think about the demographic buying A4 and 3 Series. Do you really see many without a lot of options?

Here in L.A., I see that all the time. A friend of mine refers to 320is in Hollywood as assistants' cars because a lot of them buy what I've seen described as "poverty pack" 3 series in order to look the part when they have to be around their bosses' clients and their own co-workers.

I feel it will appeal to a wider market than they're expecting, and I also feel it will be a benchmark and a standard from the day it's released. Just as when the first Prius came over in 2001, Southern California has never been the same. I am expecting no less with the Model 3, and likely will be the vehicle to finally complete the changeover from hybrid to full EV on a mass scale.
Let me put it this way - we don't know what % of 3 owners will be environmentally conscious vs economics vs buying for status/performance (ofcourse there is overall between the groups). Tesla talks as if they are targeting only the second group.

I don't know if there has been a poll here - it would be interesting (though highly unrepresentative).

In early years everyone ordered the most optioned Leaf as well. But now the base model sells a lot.

My Model X FbR is stuck in "final inspection" at the factory for over two months now so I bought a Leaf earlier this week since I found myself carless. The sales rep said the low end model (with the smaller battery) sells about as much as the high end model. The mid-model with the larger battery outsells the others 20 to 1. To sum it up, the low end model with the largest battery is the most popular Leaf, which is what I drive now.

Let me put it this way - we don't know what % of 3 owners will be environmentally conscious vs economics vs buying for status/performance (ofcourse there is overall between the groups). Tesla talks as if they are targeting only the second group.

I don't know if there has been a poll here - it would be interesting (though highly unrepresentative).

Full disclosure: I fall somewhere in the 2nd/3rd categories, with #1 being a happy bonus. I don't go out of my way to be UNfriendly to the environment (I don't drive a diesel or Hummer or anything...), but I'm not a vegan or environmental crusader by any stretch either.

I'm an IT guy who likes gadgets and technology, and I love the fact that people of my mind-set are finally getting "status cars". My dad's generation (who weren't much into computers) had muscle cars. We get cars that can drive themselves.

(Incidentally, he gets mad when I point out that my current highly-computerized 4-cylinder turbo with its 320-ish HP would destroy most of the muscle cars of his youth, and still get 30mpg doing it)

Or have a curtain open to reveal a giant photo of the M3 and have him start talking about it. Then, all of a sudden, have the prototype come bursting through the photo. That would be great!

as long as it doesn't look like this:

TheHomer.png