Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Evil.Labrat
Most probable new product will be 100D, possibly with a ~300 mile range. Lineup will be streamlined to 4 choices 75D, 90D, 100D and P100D. Might also be possible that 100KW pack will be retrofitted at a cost but only to recently built 90Ds.

PowerWall 2 & PowerPack 2, AP 2, Solar Roof - they're all coming the week after.
Agreed
As the battery pack with all its shielding is built like a tank anyway with almost no moving parts its capable of many g's of acceleration - so wouldn't need to be more rugged for use in a tractor. It's half a ton plus. 8mm aluminium shielding. The pack has been shown to survive all but the most severe crash (not 100mph into a LA wall or a German tree) without catching fire then how is a farm tractor that's up high on wheels and doesn't move at more than 15mph going to need "more" protection"? I wouldn't describe the Model S as dainty!
I'm thinking more about construction sites, where there are hydrolic machines, catapillar machines, heavy steel machines, cranes, heavy loads, forklifts that stab things, various strong fastening tools, heavy materials and support mechanisms and equipment, any of which could cause a huge amount of force applied if they come in contact with something.

Also, dust, fumes, vibration, water, many chemicals are common in the air and on the ground. See the various Tesla battery teardowns to see how well they are sealed. Pretty well, but not as well as expected on construction sites.

In one place I worked, they listed more energy types than I knew existed scientifically (so I was dubious) during their safety training. Then I went to work and experienced all of them except the radioactive one which I stayed away from. Obviously, they categorized types in a different way than I did, but the point was proven: energy all over that could cause stuff to happen.

Think a bulldozer that doesn't want the battery tray in his way, so he "gently" pushes it with his blade across dirt, maybe some rebar, concrete, rocks, other stuff sticking up, and "placing" it gently against a concrete wall. A while later, a forklift with a heavy load brushes up against the battery tray with its load, jiggles a little, the forklift driver stops, turns, and gently brushes the rear of his forklift against the tray. Then, someone drops a hammer. From 40 stories up. It falls in a "no man zone", which has the tray of batteries sitting in it.

Batteries inside equipment would similarly run into things. Not often --- everything I mentioned is a fireable offense where I work, but where I work, we see multi-ton loads swinging around on cranes brush up against all sorts of surfaces harmlessly, because all those surfaces are rugged. The last time I saw that was today, and my experienced coworker mumbled to me that the boss wasn't supposed to have the load go in that way, because it would bump into stuff, but it didn't have anything in its path that bumping would hurt, so we shrugged our shoulders.
Don't expect to see any aircraft for about 5-10 years at the earliest. Elon's spoken about a need for an increase in battery density.
That's my prediction as well. Most of the development I've seen is very far from ready. I shouldn't have listed it as an immediately expected item. But, research in this area is ongoing, and we know they have some employees who wanted to do that, and at some point someone's going to work on it. I was trying to think of all the projects I expect Tesla to be likely to do within the next 3-15 years, since they develop products along that timeline.

Last edited:
so the unveil is not AP2 if MOST are expecting that in the poll?

AP2 is a feature, not a product. Whatever it is, it's not that.

A Tesla drone might make sense, but the companies that need large drone fleets (Amazon, UPS, etc) are more likely to design their own.

My money is on next-gen roadster, but I don't really expect it to be that either. I'm expecting true surprise.