Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that cars delivered today with the new sensor suite will have no AP features at all, until at least December.

If you buy one today in the US, the order page says you won't get US delivery until December.

I think with the prior Autopilot, programmers have to think of all scenarios and write codes for each one.

With this Enhanced Autopilot, programmers just have to write codes for the machine to possess a deep learning capability. The car then can watch how you drive and it will learn how to drive like a human does too.

That self-learning process takes time but I am no sure for how long.

That new video with the car self-parking and finding a space driving around the same car park with no driver (he exits at the front door of the building and lets the car go off and find a space) is mad.

Imagine if the whole car park was all Tesla and everyone drives for work, say 08:30, and a dozen or more cars are all circling about finding a space with no one in them :eek:

Or we all get to work and let the cars go off and find a supercharger, charge up, and come back all fully charged. Hundreds of driverless cars roaming the roads looking for self-charging spots :confused:

Asimov coming to life.....

I do wonder how the system will perform in heavy rain/snow/fog. Level 5 systems should be able to handle just about all situations, but cameras will have a very hard time if the lenses get obscured. The ultrasonics are way too short ranged to be useful when there is any kind of speed differential. I'm very surprised Tesla didn't install more radar coverage, especially given the glowing terms Musk has used when describing radar's ability to penetrate visual obstructions, not to mention the more advanced radar processing they just implemented with current AP systems.

Reactions: Model 3 and J1mbo
Extremely cool. Also a little terrifying to watch too, especially during the parking sequence given all the issues parking assist features tend to have in all cars. We are on the edge of the future.
Well, the guy who confidently stepped in front of the self-driving car in the parking lot and expected it to stop for him (it did) deserves a bonus! :)

Oh. My. God.

I wasn't expecting this. Actually I was but it's mind blowing nonetheless!

And now Tesla just put a huge billboard to every other car maker (and some wannabes like Apple and Google) saying "Ready when you're ready.".

I guess someone at Apple or Google is using a spreadsheet to calculate how much will it cost to just buy Tesla and get over with it.

Oh. My. God.

I wasn't expecting this. Actually I was but it's mind blowing nonetheless!

And now Tesla just put a huge billboard to every other car maker (and some wannabes like Apple and Google) saying "Ready when you're ready.".

I guess someone at Apple or Google is using a spreadsheet to calculate how much will it cost to just buy Tesla and get over with it.
They don't need a spread sheet. Just a check and the ok. 600B+ market cap vs 30B

• Funny
Reactions: Ibrido
I do wonder how the system will perform in heavy rain/snow/fog. Level 5 systems should be able to handle just about all situations, but cameras will have a very hard time if the lenses get obscured. The ultrasonics are way too short ranged to be useful when there is any kind of speed differential. I'm very surprised Tesla didn't install more radar coverage, especially given the glowing terms Musk has used when describing radar's ability to penetrate visual obstructions, not to mention the more advanced radar processing they just implemented with current AP systems.

Me too surprised. I thought LIDAR is a MUST for Level 5 because it can see in snow and rain. Camera can get reduced capability from rain and dust. But guessing .. because LIDAR needs to protrude from the body to scan it makes them ugly on the car and also increases drag. And that is why they must have avoided it. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this situation.

But I am also sure they must be having the answer today !!

I was wondering the same thing myself, especially when seeing the low coverage of the rear.
Imagine going along the Autobahn at the recommended speed of 130 kph, the car wants to autonomously overtake some slower vehicle in front of you and decides to do so while another car in the left lane is approaching at 250 kph, not expecting a car at about half the speed attempting to start an overtaking manouvre. By the time this much faster car appears on the Tesla sensors, it will be too late even for an emergency acceleration.
Plus, I second your thoughts about the self parking feature. As cool as this looks in the unpopulated Tesla parking lot with ample space to all sides, I picture this situation in one of our car parks over here. Completely different situation. But if I do decide to go through with my Model 3 purchase, I will certainly add AP to my extras list, if only to try out exactly those situations as mentioned above.