Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP MODEL 3 PIKES PEAK RACE CAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that Randy dominated the first section and then fell way behind. I wonder if there were some issues with the car? Maybe overheating?
Fastest time ever, EV or otherwise, is 7:57 (Volkwagen I.D. R EV)

In the interview after the race, Randy mentioned he had a power problem about a mile into the run. We don't really have many details and it could be basic thermal limiting or something from the crash.

Note Randy also was about 20 seconds off his qualifying pace as well (the first two sectors combined) and Blake was almost exactly the same, so something definitely changed with Randy even in the lower section that he had driven on before (and it wasn't weather/conditions as evidenced by Blake's time). I don't think it was thermal limiting since we saw the car complete the first section with very little of that in multiple qualifying runs.

I still think Model 3 can break 10 minutes, maybe we will see that next year :)

Last edited:
Video for Randy:

Qualifying video too

Interesting to note that his battery got VERY warm much sooner than it did in qualifying. Look at these two snapshots for example, both around 1:45 into the run. You can see the white tree and red fence on the right side in both pictures

Qualifying - 104 MPH, Green Battery and full power output under speedometer:
Qualifying.JPG

Race Day - 92 MPH, Red Battery and reduced power output:
RaceDay.JPG

Last edited:
In the interview after the race, Randy mentioned he had a power problem about a mile into the run. We don't really have many details and it could be basic thermal limiting or something from the crash.

Note Randy also was about 20 seconds off his qualifying pace as well (the first two sectors combined) and Blake was almost exactly the same, so something definitely changed with Randy even in the lower section that he had driven on before (and it wasn't weather/conditions as evidenced by Blake's time). I don't think it was thermal limiting since we saw the car complete the first section with very little of that in multiple qualifying runs.

I still think Model 3 can break 10 minutes, maybe we will see that next year :)
Blake's car was pretty much stock, so regardless of whatever issues the UP car had in the end, it was a close fight and just goes to show that to finish first you first have to finish.

I feel Blake's achievement is being overlooked somewhat as all the attention and publicity was on Randy. Lets give credit where it's due.

I feel Blake's achievement is being overlooked somewhat as all the attention and publicity was on Randy. Lets give credit where it's due.

Well this thread is literally about the UP car, so the focus in this specific place is because of that.

But in general these events are about setting the fastest time and we were all hyped to see a very fast time with this car, so it's disappointing that it couldn't do that. Nothing at all against Blake and he drove a HELL of a run, just looking to see the fastest possible time from a Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
For sure, it's just that we know there is quite a bit of time left on the table for Model 3 which is awesome for next year. Plus this thread is literally about the UP car, so the focus in this specific place is because of that.
Yes, fair comment but I think it's a shame Blake's effort was largely overlooked by the media and commentators during the event. There isn't a Blake thread after all...

Reactions: kbecks13
Interesting to note that his battery got VERY warm much sooner than it did in qualifying. Look at these two snapshots for example, both around 1:45 into the run. You can see the white tree and red fence on the right side in both pictures
Thanks for the video. Very informative. Says he thinks under 10 minutes is possible with full power.
If you're building a full race car like that I wonder if there's some way to improve cooling. Perhaps modifying the temp sensors to disable the reduced output mode would be the easiest solution. I think there may be a huge number of them in the battery though...
I think Mountain Pass Performance mentioned investigating the cooling system a little bit and discovering that bigger radiator and/or more airflow was not effective.

Yes, fair comment but I think it's a shame Blake's effort was largely overlooked by the media and commentators during the event. There isn't a Blake thread after all...

I totally agree, it's just the nature of these events (time attack) that people are very interested in potential stupid fast times. His accomplishment in a pretty much stock car is insane though (look at those slow Porsche GT4s lol). Honestly this should go a long way in silencing people who say "Tesla can only last for 1 lap" since this track is similar to the Nurburgring.

If you're building a full race car like that I wonder if there's some way to improve cooling. Perhaps modifying the temp sensors to disable the reduced output mode would probably be the easiest solution. I think there may be a huge number of them in the battery though...
I think Mountain Pass Performance mentioned investigating the cooling system a little bit and discovering that bigger radiator and/or more airflow was not effective.

UP is running some prototype cooling, they haven't really made many details public though. You can see a "CO2 On" light behind the steering wheel in the quali video (yes CO2, not O2) so i have a feeling they are using that to chill the coolant somehow? Maybe that is what went wrong today...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD
UP is running some prototype cooling, they haven't really made many details public though. You can see a "CO2 On" light behind the steering wheel in the quali video (yes CO2, not O2) so i have a feeling they are using that to chill the coolant somehow? Maybe that is what went wrong today...
SMH. Contributing to global warming. :p
Using liquid CO2 to get the coolant below ambient temperature sounds like a good solution. You can get kits marketed for ICE cars: CryO2 Products | Design Engineering Inc

Reactions: kbecks13
Probably some cooling tubes were damaged during the crash. It not only overheated, but never cooled down despite Randy not beating it at all. He could have been faster than 10 minutes and beat whole unlimited class.

But anyway it's a miracle that the car made any climb at all. And big respect to UPP team for the spirit.

I'm going to bring my car and drive it on The Ring this September by pro driver to see what is missing on suspension and cooling. I don't have proper seats, CO2 cooling, additional radiators and reworked radiator box, whole aero package, but it's far from stock anyway.

I'm going to bring my car and drive it on The Ring this September by pro driver to see what is missing on suspension and cooling. I don't have proper seats, CO2 cooling, additional radiators and reworked radiator box, whole aero package, but it's far from stock anyway.

Not to get too far off topic, but that's bad ass! Can't wait to see someone with brake upgrades take it on. That one video recently with a totally stock car was pretty sad in the brake department.

Using liquid CO2 to get the coolant below ambient temperature sounds like a good solution. You can get kits marketed for ICE cars: CryO2 Products | Design Engineering Inc

Wow that's an easy off the shelf solution! I thought they would've had to custom design something, but that looks pretty sweet.

I totally agree, it's just the nature of these events (time attack) that people are very interested in potential stupid fast times. His accomplishment in a pretty much stock car is insane though (look at those slow Porsche GT4s lol). Honestly this should go a long way in silencing people who say "Tesla can only last for 1 lap" since this track is similar to the Nurburgring.

Blake in his interview mentioned today’s run was delayed a lot. He charged his car to 100% but when when starting his run it was only 90%. So that must be HUGE amount of time waiting.

Maybe UP just had small amount of CO2 in their resevior so it all evaporized out when waiting...

Not to get too far off topic, but that's bad ass! Can't wait to see someone with brake upgrades take it on. That one video recently with a totally stock car was pretty sad in the brake department.
I agreed with the same driver, because of that video. It was too cringy to watch - tires gone, brakes gone, battery overheating, full weight with an extra guy, car is not holding the road at all. And that's the only Ring Model 3 video we have.
Blake in his interview mentioned today’s run was delayed a lot. He charged his car to 100% but when when starting his run it was only 90%. So that must be HUGE amount of time waiting.

Maybe UP just had small amount of CO2 in their resevior so it all evaporized out when waiting...
No, it overheated WAY too fast even for stock car and never gone back. It's a serious malfunction in the cooling system. He made 2/3 of the track on a cool down pace. Blake car is heavier, same weather, stock cooling and he was gradually coming down in power only after half of the track.

Yes, in the video of Randy's run at around 3:53 the battery graphic suddenly turns orange which isn't normal. I guess something must have broken or stopped working at that point. I'm sure we'll get the full story soon.

Here’s an onboard video. He was flying and hit 100mph easily at the start but then the car looks like it cut power and he wasn’t as fast for the rest of the run. Nevertheless it was a great effort by all and he finished 2nd again. I guess the question we will never know is if he didn’t crash...how Fast would the car be?