Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update or not to Update - FSD killer update coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
based on following article.... Tesla is messing with FSD and with no user consent, can simply take away $11400 feature users paid for and no refunds involved whatsoever..... and this is rolled along with holiday update, kind of sugar-coated with lollies...

• Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
If it's a safety related update, you will get it via cell if wifi isn't available. You will then be given a period of time to install; if you don't it will do it anyway. Safety related updates are not optional and basically can not be avoided unless you're willing to give up a lot of the functionality of the software (and no more updates).

The update is not FSD related; FSD can still be used on city streets. The ability to use autosteer on city streets will more than likely be limited. Autosteer should not be used on city streets and people abused the privilege hence why we can't have nice things.

It's a "Recall", surely not optional?
Just keep the hands on the steering, you'll be fine.
well... point of FSD is FSD... navigate on autopilot is to navigate on autopilot...
system is so flowed that many location on motorway it just keeps asking to nudge steering wheel... and eventually gives way too many alerts...
with new condition... without drivers fault, this will go on to suspend the feature paid for...

this also happens when people are stupidly driving almost touching or over white line... even if there is safe distance, system will go in so many alerts and red alerts as collision potential detected... when ultimately it's safe in most cases.... but in this suspension scenario it would trigger it...

If it's a safety related update, you will get it via cell if wifi isn't available. You will then be given a period of time to install; if you don't it will do it anyway. Safety related updates are not optional and basically can not be avoided unless you're willing to give up a lot of the functionality of the software (and no more updates).

The update is not FSD related; FSD can still be used on city streets. The ability to use autosteer on city streets will more than likely be limited. Autosteer should not be used on city streets and people abused the privilege hence why we can't have nice things.
You got a good point....

If this happens... and my FSD ever suspended... I am taking Tesla to court and getting every dollar I paid for Tesla and moving away from Tesla.... FSD is the only reason I got Tesla. remove that and it's another EV.

Well this tells you everything that's changing -

based on following article.... Tesla is messing with FSD and with no user consent, can simply take away $11400 feature users paid for and no refunds involved whatsoever..... and this is rolled along with holiday update, kind of sugar-coated with lollies...

latest update from release notes... it's one week suspension... not as bad as previous article made it sound

1702667551703.png

No, not disabling Autopilot off highway. It's not how the NHTSA rolls.

This isn't like Boombox (broke rules on the noise-makers) or gaming while moving (considered a risk without any benefit)

The NHTSA _wants_ ADAS, and wants to encourage use. This is all about reducing unmonitored use and mode confusion.

Reactions: laiod
FSD is the only reason I got Tesla. remove that and it's another EV.
Well... the others have caught up!
The MG is NZ Car of the Year. Just for fun I took a test drive in the top model MG4 Xpower.
It is essentially as quick as my Model 3P, and has every feature you'll find in a Tesla.
Their "Autopilot" is called Traffic Assist, and they don't pretend it is Autonomous.
And it can be had before Xmas in the low $60k after rebate.
There's a target painted on Tesla going forward.

Don't know about others but I've had two instances of autopilot being disconnected and the car telling me I couldn't reactivate it "on this journey"... in almost 3 years of ownership. Just to put some perspective to that.
same here... first article was not in detail so I panicked.... My bad.
at present it says you can not... but as long as you pull over, park and start again, it simply works...
with new restrictions it will be blocked for a week after 5 instance... not sure 5 instances over how long...

Well... the others have caught up!
The MG is NZ Car of the Year. Just for fun I took a test drive in the top model MG4 Xpower.
It is essentially as quick as my Model 3P, and has every feature you'll find in a Tesla.
Their "Autopilot" is called Traffic Assist, and they don't pretend it is Autonomous.
And it can be had before Xmas in the low $60k after rebate.
There's a target painted on Tesla going forward.
yup... waiting for Audi or Porcha to pickup their game... day they do, I will get back to old Audi days.

Had an interesting road trip this weekend. While on I-15 to Vegas, I passed semi with flashing lights. Apparently, FSD thinks the semi on the next lane is an emergency vehicle and FSD goes on full regen. Definitely takes the enjoyment out of the Adaptive Cruise Control part. I wonder if the same thing would happen with any vehicle with flashers (I did not encounter any except Semi). Would be a fun way to annoy Tesla drivers on the highway - turn on your flasher and the Tesla next to you gets a jolt. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli
It wasn't in the release notes but has anyone had issues with the lane assist since the update? I had it angrily beep at me at least 8 times on my trip today telling me I was departing the lane (I wasn't), while I had this happen maybe once in the last 6 weeks of owning the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Yes, verges on hysteria atm.
I'll just turn the car into something i'm in charge of, for a while.
Haven't wrung out the Tesla for too long :)
Just gave in and installed updates...
started giving more alerts compare to before.... red follows right when blue starts... also some collision detected on perfectly empty road, freaky...
all in all, it might try more to push people not to use FSD... probably Tesla getting ready to lease out FSD and other software to other manufacturers like Elon Musk mentioned before few months... making sure - we hate Tesla by that time and ready to buy e-tron :cool:

There is a safety recall that the NHTSA requires them to install. Complain to your Rep and Senator.

Or, pay attention to the road and if the monitoring camera misreads your behavior, put in a service request to get it fixed.
If Tesla can't fix it, claim a lemon or a make a claim for a refund for software that doesn't work well enough to be functional.

So far this whole story has been a massive nothingburger except for (1) people whose behavior is misread because Tesla's monitoring systems aren't reliable on their vehicle or (2) people who are entitled jerks.

There is a safety recall that the NHTSA requires them to install. Complain to your Rep and Senator.

Or, pay attention to the road and if the monitoring camera misreads your behavior, put in a service request to get it fixed.
If Tesla can't fix it, claim a lemon or a make a claim for a refund for software that doesn't work well enough to be functional.

So far this whole story has been a massive nothingburger except for (1) people whose behavior is misread because Tesla's monitoring systems aren't reliable on their vehicle or (2) people who are entitled jerks.

Not nothing when the car on the next lane with flashers on (semi on I-15) and your car slows/stops on the road. I could see accident rate involving Tesla (getting rear ended) going up after this update.

Reactions: Audietron
Not nothing when the car on the next lane with flashers on (semi on I-15) and your car slows/stops on the road. I could see accident rate involving Tesla (getting rear ended) going up after this update.

very true.... installed update and since then unnecessary it just flashes right when I switch over to FSD and hands are totally on steering...
I also noticed car trying to hit another car on other side of road at signal.... never happened before...
randomly slowing down for no visible hazard is asking for road rage incident or life threatening accident.

Yesterday saw Model Y totalled on road with bumper flapping like a paper on tow truck.... entire different can of worm on physical built quality.

not in USA... so neither it should be enforced nor I can complain....