Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously. This is so nonsensical and not even remotely related to anything.

These types of properties are often "purchased" by entities other than the owner for tax reasons. Many, many of the homes in these areas, even at prices half of what these cost, are owned by a corporation, trust, or LLC.

Also, many people buy houses to rent in this area. It's very common for someone to be renting a 5 bedroom house long term. I actually have one on my street: it's a 5,000 SF house rented by a couple in their 50's who have never owned. They like having the freedom but don't want to be in an apartment or condo. They rent a house 5-7 years, get bored and move neighborhoods.

Oh, and the house they are renting? It's owner is an LLC.

So this brings NOTHING to this discussion.
Lol, why you quoting me...quote the guy that's stalking the dudes "properties". I agree tho, finding out what he owned contributes nothing to this discussion.

As compared to any normal automatic transmission vehicle:
Open door
Stretch leg and place foot on brake
Reach in, start engine, and shift to any non-park gear (neutral bring the least interesting unless on a slope)
Remove yourself from vehicle and shut door (bonus points if you lock it first)

No weighted chain need. No need to stay in car. No attempt by the vehicle to stay in a lane.

No need to lock the door if the autolock is set to engage at a certain speed!

In the meantime, re: Consumer Reports, they may have done that demo showing an impractical, unsafe, loophole but can they stretch to reach something from the back seat without the car jumping from neutral to park as it goes through a car wash?

No need to lock the door if the autolock is set to engage at a certain speed!

In the meantime, re: Consumer Reports, they may have done that demo showing an impractical, unsafe, loophole but can they stretch to reach something from the back seat without the car jumping from neutral to park as it goes through a car wash?
If the seatbelt is on, you can remove weight from the seat (at least in reverse).
CR had the belt buckled behind the driver.

Reactions: jsmay311
Guys. All sorts of products have saftey devices that can be over ridden if you try hard enough. The pressure relief valve and thermostats on your hot water heater can easily be disabled turning the tank into a missile.

No one is suggesting hot water heater manufacturers need “Up there game” to install cameras on their hot water heaters to make sure no one messes with them.
The thermostat in our house had a monitoring system called "if you touch that young man, just wait until your father gets home". It was effective.

Reactions: Exelion and mrElbe
Why. Some people are assholes who will defeat any system. Can’t stop people like that.

No, but you can make it a little harder to be a clown. You should not be able to defeat the driver monitoring with a wheel weight. And the seat weight sensor going to zero should immediately sound alarms, hit the flashers, and bring the vehicle to a controlled stop.

Reactions: Dan D.
I have FSD, but I don't see the issue. Are you suggesting having FSD means the seat sensor is not used when engaging autopilot?
I misread the post I was replying to. I thought it was the post that indicated that AP was engaged on a road without lane markings. There is such a post here, I should have replied to that one.

I've never had it engage without lines. I think what Musk said was it would not engage without the lines showing on the screen which is absolutely true. I have had the autopilot engaged, run onto a stretch of road without lines and the autopilot continued to work for miles. So it's not like painted lines are required for autopilot to work.

This was the post I was intending to reply to before. You indicated that your car has FSD.

FSD can engage in situations where a car with basic AP will not engage. Since the car in the article did not have FSD, I don't think these experiences can necessarily be applied to the situation in the article.

Basic AP only has Autosteer which only works within "a clearly marked lane". It doesn't even do lane changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Consumer Reports just posted a video of how it could have been done (not an S, though)....

Couple problems with this test vs the crash. One, there's a cut in the video at 37s between when the car is setup with AP set to 0 and when they are moving at 17mph. What they didn't show here is that you also have to scroll the set speed up and then hit the accelerator to make the car move from 0 (as per other video demonstrating this). Hitting the accelerator doesn't make this impossible, it's just another hurtle that would need to be circumvented. Second problem is they didn't slow how fast the car will accelerate in 400 ft (distance from cul de sac to crash) from a standstill. From what other people have said on this forum, after 400ft, the car will likely not be going tremendously fast.

It's assumed that this 2019 Model S Performance came with Autopilot as standard whether owners want it or not but that's only true since mid-April 2019.

If this car was before April 2019, someone (or something) must buy Autopilot in order to have it. Otherwise, it would just have a dumb cruise.
The "Autopilot as standard" is the AP that won't engage without "a clearly marked lane" according to the description of the features.

If it was purchased before April 2019, then I'm not sure which version of AP you would have to buy. If it was EAP, then it would probably be able to engage without lines, but the current version of standard AP is basically just one step above "dumb cruise". It's "TACC + follow the lines" (not even lane changing enabled).

I don’t understand where some people are getting the idea that activation requirements for AP and “FSD” are different. If it’s just from the wording in Elon’s recent tweet, I think they’re reading extra meaning into his words that simply isn’t there.
Because the description of AP specifically states "within a clearly marked lane".

AP is not FSD minus the potential autonomous levels. The current AP is basically TACC + staying between lines. It doesn't even change lanes. There used to be EAP which was a lot of driver assistance features without the autonomy, but right now if you don't have FSD you have barely one step above TACC. If it's only targeted at "keeping you within a clearly marked lane" then I think the burden of proof would be on someone who has the recent AP (not the old kind you used to have to order, but the new version that is automatically included) to test out the limits of activation...

Right, AP and FSD should be the same in terms of activation requirements. FSD so far only adds the traffic light control (city streets is still forth coming).

FSD Beta however may be a different case. Elon has suggested they kicked people off the program based on the camera, so the activation requirements there might be different.
FSD adds a *LOT* of features now. Old EAP used to have most of what FSD provided, but the new basic AP has very little.

FSD adds
- lane changing
- NoA, on/off ramps
- self parking!
- summon
- traffic as you said
- city autosteer in the future