Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated - Interior Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought, if these were always a known feature, despite unsatisfied with the current lighting solutions, wouldn't it have been better to leave the feature posted... and explain any car not wearing the lights, was just an interim car while the fix comes? Would this audience be more at peace than the opposite? Like the stink this thread created?

Probably the best thing was to at least put out a blog post, even if an item was removed from the spec list (which probably had to be done just so it's not false advertising for the first few cars). I liked the suggestion of there being an annotation or a blog post for changes to the specs, just to prevent the same kind of reaction. As the production of the Model S gets ramped up and things get finalized, we'll have less of these issues, but it's a good thing for Tesla to keep in mind for their other cars (like the Model X).

What a wonderful great response from George B and TM. This is what sets Tesla apart from other automobile manufacturers. This is what sets Elon Musk apart from the CEOs of other companies. My wife and I are grateful that TM responded to our and other customers concerns so promptly. We were devastated that we would have to cancel after waiting all these years. Well, we are confirming our "Build your Tesla email" today and now we can hardly wait to get the car. Personally I don't see any shortcomings in the car now. There will always be some features which can be added later.

For future reference, if there had been a better line of communication from TM regarding these features I and and others like me wouldn't have been venting our frustrations over these issues on this and the other forums. But hey, that is in the past as GeorgeB put it, we have a Tesla smile on our faces today!

It is time to close these negative threads and wait for our gorgeous cars with big grins on our faces!

For future reference, if there had been a better line of communication from TM regarding these features I and and others like me wouldn't have been venting our frustrations over these issues on this and the other forums.

Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this blog post, including statements regarding future production of vehicles, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.

Maybe it's us, not them......

+1. Tesla is not at fault here. I haven't witnessed any other company providing an equal level of transparency.
Well, devil's advocate I suppose, but with most companies you walk in and buy the exact car you're looking at, so you can think of that as being completely transparent as far as the car you're buying.

Tesla is asking people to put a refundable deposit down on a car that hasn't been made and double that in non-refundable deposit for a car still undergoing changes, thus it's not as crystal clear exactly what you're receiving. That's going to generate a fairly high level of anxiety in a lot of folks, an anxiety that will typically manifest in wanting information. Couple that with any latent concerns about Tesla's long term viability on top of that and that's a lot of anxiety.

Until Tesla shows some long term profit and stability, they're going to have an understandably nervous (even if excited) customer base. I'm not defending excessively panicked, nit-picky behavior, but I can understand what's causing it.

Well, devil's advocate I suppose, but with most companies you walk in and buy the exact car you're looking at, so you can think of that as being completely transparent as far as the car you're buying.
False. Every year people put down deposits for the next model year car with a variety of manufacturers based on speculation and leaks (concept cars and sneak peaks to journalists). The company then goes dark for many months and then they simply deliver the final production vehicle and you can take it or leave it. Some of the speculation and leaks will be accurate and some will not. It's no different w/ Tesla. Compared to the concept (Alpha) some things have stayed and others haven't. The difference is that other companies don't show the iterations of cars like Tesla does. I agree that they shouldn't change published specs after the fact but they're learning too.

False. Every year people put down deposits for the next model year car with a variety of manufacturers based on speculation and leaks (concept cars and sneak peaks to journalists).
Without knowing the size of those deposits and whether they're refundable, it's tough to say if that's a comparable situation. If it's a $99 refundable deposit, that's not a very meaningful comparison. It's also not the norm for most buyers for most manufacturers. With Tesla, it's the only way to buy and will be the only way for a long time (no walk in and buy).

Without knowing the size of those deposits and whether they're refundable, it's tough to say if that's a comparable situation. If it's a $99 refundable deposit, that's not a very meaningful comparison. It's also not the norm for most buyers for most manufacturers. With Tesla, it's the only way to buy and will be the only way for a long time (no walk in and buy).
You're acting like the car will never be "done" and every person who ever buys a Tesla product will plunk down their cash and in the 3 months to have their car built the specs will change. You are being ridiculous. This situation is solely related to a new product launch and will not be the normal experience for buyers. They will be able to walk into a store, sit in (and drive) a car, and buy or order based on that experience. That's how it was with Roadsters for anyone who bought after the initial batch was delivered and it will be the same w/ Model S.

Also, I "walked in and bought" my Roadster. It was built on spec and I decided it was close enough to what I wanted that I would buy that one instead of waiting 3 months for one to be built.

You're acting like the car will never be "done" and every person who ever buys a Tesla product will plunk down their cash and in the 3 months to have their car built the specs will change. You are being ridiculous. This situation is solely related to a new product launch and will not be the normal experience for buyers. They will be able to walk into a store, sit in (and drive) a car, and buy or order based on that experience. That's how it was with Roadsters for anyone who bought after the initial batch was delivered and it will be the same w/ Model S.

Also, I "walked in and bought" my Roadster. It was built on spec and I decided it was close enough to what I wanted that I would buy that one instead of waiting 3 months for one to be built.

I agree. These are growing pains for the first 1,000 or so buyers. Things will settle down overtime. That doesn't mean small things may change but if you order a 1.0 product and lock in and they make the transition to a 1.5 version or something they'd probably just do what they did with the Roadster and ask you if you're ok with the new version or if you want your money back. They have to pick a transition point and some people will be on the wrong side of it.

You are being ridiculous. This situation is solely related to a new product launch and will not be the normal experience for buyers. They will be able to walk into a store, sit in (and drive) a car, and buy or order based on that experience. That's how it was with Roadsters for anyone who bought after the initial batch was delivered and it will be the same w/ Model S.

I don't believe Kessel's being ridiculous. He stated it's the only way to buy now "for a long time." Like you say while they're in start up mode. Which may take a few years before they can evolve to something different. With the current mall store configuration, they will not be selling off the floor either, nor will they carry inventory nearby. Not at those locations anyway. The already existing full (more) typical "dealer" show rooms where the Roadsters have been, will likely accommodate delivery on the spot, if the model on hand is what you want.

FWIW, I am definitely stepping out of my comfort zone, as I NEVER buy the 1st year of a car model, let alone the first year of production from a company new to producing their own vehicles (Roadster = Lotus + Tesla). I'm doing it now, because the timing is just right, I want to capitalize on CA incentives, and I've dreamed of having an electric car for many years. It's causing me to make a leap of faith, and in that, unless and until I see major (I mean non-correctable) concerns with what is delivered to the first owners, I am keeping the faith.

Ridiculous? This forum has turned into a more active Fisker Buzz. When you can buy a Model S and know exactly what car you will get the need for transparency will vanish. The level of communication from Tesla is not benevolence, it is a business requirement. The talk of people cancelling or deferring their reservations has elicited a response. As a shareholder, I am glad for this. Without this response, this car will only sell to the true believers.

I am stunned at how personally some seem to take criticism of Tesla.

FWIW, I am definitely stepping out of my comfort zone, as I NEVER buy the 1st year of a car model, let alone the first year of production from a company new to producing their own vehicles (Roadster = Lotus + Tesla). I'm doing it now, because the timing is just right, I want to capitalize on CA incentives, and I've dreamed of having an electric car for many years. It's causing me to make a leap of faith, and in that, unless and until I see major (I mean non-correctable) concerns with what is delivered to the first owners, I am keeping the faith.

I feel pretty much the same way. I am willing to go without some of the features that I might get on similarly priced vehicles from other companies so that I can get the EV power train. People chose one car over another based upon their own prioritization of available features, price, value, comfort, etc. For ME, the EV part does outweigh the vehicle not having many features that I could get if I spent the money on a Mercedes or Audi or Lexus. But hey, we all prioritize these things differently and I won't fault someone for choosing to hold off or not buy at all because they see things differently than me. I also think that, as Tesla continues to improve Model S, they should try to offer as many of the more-or-less standard features on the vehicles in similar price ranges. It just makes sense if they want to sell the maximum number of cars, right?

I think the pushback is coming from the continuous recycling of the same message in multiple threads. That's what did it for me. I've seen Plenty of criticism of tesla go by without comment - just would like discussions instead of continual complaining and stirring up fud from unsubstantiated rumors.

And to some, that makes me a fan incapable of critical thinking - so be it.

You mentioned a point I was just going to bring up.

I think this frenzy (not uncommon on this forum) started when several people (not only on this forum) dropped remarks mocking about Tesla "fanboys". Others gave the "remember Eberhard" signal, and low-post-count members popped up firing each other up with Tesla-is-doomed-unless-they-do-so-and-so messages. And other related themes were warmed up and cooked up as well.

So the mood turned towards showing off how critical one can be.

But who is going to criticize the criticizers? ;)

No offense, was just in a mood to rant.

I think the pushback is coming from the continuous recycling of the same message in multiple threads. That's what did it for me. I've seen Plenty of criticism of tesla go by without comment - just would like discussions instead of continual complaining and stirring up fud from unsubstantiated rumors.

I was repeating my desire to know what I was buying before signing a MVPA. Obviously not a reasonable request. Some people take this as sign of negativism. So be it.

My post count may be low, but my sign-up date sure isn't July 2012.

After some professional bashing by a July 2012 poster, I'm outahere. Please enjoy Tesla without me.

You mentioned a point I was just going to bring up.

I think this frenzy (not uncommon on this forum) started when several people (not only on this forum) dropped remarks mocking about Tesla "fanboys". Others gave the "remember Eberhard" signal, and low-post-count members popped up firing each other up with Tesla-is-doomed-unless-they-do-so-and-so messages. And other related themes were warmed up and cooked up as well.

So the mood turned towards showing off how critical one can be.

But who is going to criticize the criticizers? ;)

No offense, was just in a mood to rant.

+1! The dust will settle soon enough, and in a matter of months, this will all be history. Elon's business acumen will see this through. There's simply too much momentum behind it all now.

I was repeating my desire to know what I was buying before signing a MVPA. Obviously not a reasonable request. Some people take this as sign of negativism. So be it.

My post count may be low, but my sign-up date sure isn't July 2012.

After some professional bashing by a July 2012 poster, I'm outahere. Please enjoy Tesla without me.

Hey if someone bashed you personally, that's wrong. (just turn me loose on them, I'll take care of 'em for ya!) This frenzy will settle down in just a few months. Everyone's just nervous about the unknown. And heck yeah, if my number was up this week, I'd be concerned too. Certain amount of faith required for the earliest of adopters. The forum is better off with you here than not. Diversity is always good. IMHO.