Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the mean time are they losing customers? We are not in a hurry and can literally wait a year. Our Leaf works well and serves all our needs.......
All have said if the Leaf EPlus is available before the Tesla Model 3 is they’ll buy a Leaf EPlus. A model 3 has very limited use with a proprietary charging system. A Leaf E plus is a much more practical car.

You sound like an anti Tesla troll.

The Tesla Supercharger network is indispensable!!
It's one of the best features of owning a Tesla.
My monthly commute between Toronto and Ottawa is a blessing with the SC network.....I really appreciate
what Elon Musk has done for the Tesla owners.

It makes owning, driving & living the Tesla lifestyle invaluable!
My next vehicle will also be a Tesla just because of the SC network.

BTW, all OEM car manufacturers were invited to join the Supercharger network but none have joined the bandwagon!
Jealous much?

You sound like an anti Tesla troll.

The Tesla Supercharger network is indispensable!!
It's one of the best features of owning a Tesla.
My monthly commute between Toronto and Ottawa is a blessing with the SC network.....I really appreciate
what Elon Musk has done for the Tesla owners.

It makes owning, driving & living the Tesla lifestyle invaluable!
My next vehicle will also be a Tesla just because of the SC network.

BTW, all OEM car manufacturers were invited to join the Supercharger network but none have joined the bandwagon!
Jealous much?

I think you misunderstand. Certainly not a Tesla troll and actually just the opposite. However, it has to make sense. We tend to travel in the kootenays on our time off or vacation or whatever. The right EV for that would be something like a Model S, a Model X, a Bolt or the new EPlus. Even our first generation Leaf. The model S and X are cost prohibitive and the Bolt is not for us but we can afford a model 3. When we are ready to buy it is our first choice. But without Chademo we are restricted to a narrow corridor from Victoria to Calgary. So our second choice will be an EPlus Leaf which will allow us to travel where we want. A vehicle for us needs to be able to take us where we want to go. It can’t just look good in the driveway.

Jealous?? What exactly would we be Jealous about? If I owned a model 3 I would be jealous of family and friends who travel and camp in our favourite parts of the province where we can’t go. There are 50 Chademo/CCS chargers expected yo go in this year covering the central North of the province and over to Bella Coola. Tesla has no plans for this area for the Supercharger build out.

I agree with you that the Supercharger network is a huge plus for Tesla and is quite honestly one of the things that attracts us to the brand. But without secondary network support it is not a car (or at least the model 3) that fills our needs. And yes an EPlus Leaf is a step down. But our Leaf has been bulletproof and serves us well.

Sorry this doesn’t make sense to you and you feel the need to be combative.

I think you misunderstand. Certainly not a Tesla troll and actually just the opposite. However, it has to make sense. We tend to travel in the kootenays on our time off or vacation or whatever. The right EV for that would be something like a Model S, a Model X, a Bolt or the new EPlus. Even our first generation Leaf......But without Chademo we are restricted to a narrow corridor from Victoria to Calgary. So our second choice will be an EPlus Leaf which will allow us to travel where we want. A vehicle for us needs to be able to take us where we want to go. It can’t just look good in the driveway.

I agree with you that the Supercharger network is a huge plus for Tesla and is quite honestly one of the things that attracts us to the brand. But without secondary network support it is not a car (or at least the model 3) that fills our needs. And yes an EPlus Leaf is a step down. But our Leaf has been bulletproof and serves us well.

Sorry this doesn’t make sense to you and you feel the need to be combative.
@Webeevdrivers
I apologize for sounding combative....I now understand your dilemma
Chademo network would certainly make your inner BC trips do-able and much appreciated

I think that the only way to mitigate the lack of SC in certain aeras, would be an chademo/ccs adapter.
I live in Quebec where the coverage is good, but when I go the Maritimes...ouch !

@antoinearnau,
I wholeheartedly agree.
Tesla SC network for North America wide trips along the major thruways & highways
and Chademo/CCS to fill in the inevitable voids in Charger access

From the European reports it looks like Tesla is going to offer both CHAdeMO and Supercharger access in the newer cars, and offfer CHAdeMO adaptors for those who wich to purchase such.

This is incorrect. The EU Model 3 variant has native CCS but not CHAdeMO.

There may be technical reasons why a CHAdeMO is difficult to add, but CCS is done, verified and works. Tesla just does not want to support it in the US. My guess would indeed be for commercial reasons.

There may be technical reasons why a CHAdeMO is difficult to add, but CCS is done, verified and works. Tesla just does not want to support it in the US. My guess would indeed be for commercial reasons.

Or they just haven't gotten it done yet. They have stated that they are going to release a Type 2 CCS to Tesla Type 2 adapter for the EU. But they haven't yet, it should be coming soon. Once the have that released and it is working well I am hoping that they will make a Type 1 CCS to US Tesla adapter. (It should be a relatively minor development effort to make that transition.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That's the same thing people thought....over a year ago :)

Anyone tested CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

Thread from December 2017 about how the adapter doesn't work "yet" on the model 3.

Very true, although at that time the Model 3 software was missing a lot, and had some issues that needed addressing.

It's a bit of a change now though, when they have time for fart noises by not Chademo...

This being posted explicitly in the Model 3 section you’d think that’s what we’re talking about.

Yeah, and I was talking about them making the Type 2 CCS to Type 2 Tesla port adapter, that they have already announced, as a pre-requisite to them making a Type 1 CCS to US Tesla port adapter, that they have not yet announced. (That could then be used on a US Model 3 and S&X.)

I've been waiting patiently for this to happen since the Model 3 first started customer deliveries. I have many charging station options around my location that do CCS/CHAdeMO combo. The Supercharger in my city is constantly full this year since model 3 was released.

I understood in 2017 when customers first started taking posession of their cars that they had other big things to work on and charging adapters might not be a high priority. It's been almost 2 years since first deliveries (once july hits) and we still have nothing. This is a huge deal for US and Canadian customers alike. If they truly want to accelerate sustainable transport; they need to deliver on this front. It is not fair that model 3s are exclusively locked into the Supercharger network for fast charging. Tesla has criticized other automakers for not approaching them for getting on-board with adapting their cars for use with Superchargers; but they have not made a way for their model 3 to access even Universal charging standards (CCS) in the US. It is hypocritical and anti EV. It is hard enough as it is to do long range travel, and away from home travel in an EV (even with the supercharger network), locking model 3 owners out of charging options needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong; I love the supercharger network, Tesla, and their mission. But we have to call this out because its not fair and it is long overdue. They obviously can get CCS working as the european models have it built in. ( I know the protocol and connector is different over there, its just an example of how it is possible) How can we get Elon or Tesla's attention on this matter?
Charge at home.

Just curious. What's the incentive for Tesla to ever release these adapters? All they will do is let people that now are having to pay Tesla for charging move to Tesla's competitors. Some anti-trust fans might call it tying.

Quite the opposite. Tesla already offers adapters for many different charging networks around the world, except Chademo. It's coming for the Model 3...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: domenick