Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded to FSD, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just pulled the trigger on the FSD upgrade through the Tesla app. I received an email from Tesla stating that my car will update while in park. I'm pretty sure this update requires a HW upgrade to HW 3.0. Do I need to schedule an appointment for that part or will Tesla contact me to set that up?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If you are sure you have HW 2.5 then go to the schedule service in the app and select "accessories" then "upgrades and installations" Mention you'd like to get the HW3.0 and they'll set you up. I just had this done a week ago. The never reached out to me and I've had FSD for a year now.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I'm waiting in vain to be contacted, paid for the FSD upgrade in 2019, getting very impatient. But I have never been promised driving "without any user input" except as a some day target. It's not something you can buy off the shelf anywhere, for any amount of love or money.

I've been designing and coding control systems for decades. When humans set out on a difficult task that's never been done before, they always underestimate the difficulty. If they didn't, they'd never even start. That optimistic vision leaks into marketing materials and pep talks, in good faith.

Then during development, with the design changing daily, engineers have to keep explaining to people who have no idea "why it's taking so long". When they get there, to that "some day", five times over schedule and budget, it's great. But if you know anything about working in uncharted territory, you know that nobody can fully anticipate all the obstacles, or predict the time-line. You can't nail down something that has never ever existed.

Honestly, either you're looking to participate at the bleeding edge of automotive AI development, and you get excited at every step along the way, or you should stick to the well-beaten past, and leave that full self-driving to us dreamers.

Not sure how long it will take them to contact you for the upgrade, but I was too impatient for that. I purchased FSD less than a month ago, and had HW3 installed last week.

If you submit a request for the FSD upgrade using the "schedule service" function on your Tesla app, they will probably be able to schedule an appointment for you to get the new computer installed.

That's what I thought, but apparently it takes some time for the car to be flagged in the system for the upgrade.

upload_2020-5-3_8-8-13.png

I checked back a week later in a chat with support on the website, and was told it still wasn't flagged. One week after that it was, so I scheduled through the app in the install went as planned.

If you are sure you have HW 2.5 then go to the schedule service in the app and select "accessories" then "upgrades and installations" Mention you'd like to get the HW3.0 and they'll set you up. I just had this done a week ago. The never reached out to me and I've had FSD for a year now.
Thanks for the guidance. I purchased FSD on March 2019 and thought I would be contacted but nothing. I have scheduled service through the mobile app so I will wait and see what comes of it.

Yeah- pre-March-2019 FSDs promise was basically just a paragraph describing behavior that'd line up with at least L4 self driving.

March 2019 it was changed (for ANYONE buying it at that point forward) to just be a specific list of features- none promised at better than L2- and all but 2 of which already existed (and used to be part of EAP which was no longer sold at that point)- the 2 not delivered ones were stoplight/stopsign stopping that's in very beta release today.... and "automatic driving on city streets"

A week or two ago they updated it a second time- to move the stopsign/light thing into the delivered section... and to rename (arguably downgrage) the one undelivered feature to be "autosteer" on city streets.

Reactions: jsrawa
I purchased FSD Aug. 2019, a little over a year after getting the car and 11 months after buying EAP. I made the case here in the forum to be a guinea pig for NOT contacting Tesla for my HW3 upgrade Dec. 2019 to see how long it would take for them to get to me. This was when a number of posts were wondering if VIN, geography and/or asking for the update was a factor. A couple of people said that Tesla would never contact me about the upgrade and that I would have to bug them about it. I was proactively called by service a couple of weeks ago and mobile service came out last Thursday to do the 90 minute exchange. It took 4 months but in that time they had enough experience with the work to do it without having me come to them. Something else that some here said Tesla does not do for this upgrade.

Ref: Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

I had opened a service ticket for sentry mode errors and also asked about hw3 upgrade. Here is what they said

Good afternoon. The HW3 autopilot computer for your Tesla is not yet available. You will receive an alert in your MyTesla app once it arrives that will prompt you to schedule a service appointment for its installation. As a heads up, this service will need to be completed at your local service center.

Funny how ymmv between SC's.

I'm waiting in vain to be contacted, paid for the FSD upgrade in 2019, getting very impatient.
Yeah, a friend of mine waited a long time too and Tesla never called. He finally scheduled an appointment through the app and it did get cancelled a few times, but after 3 tries he was finally upgraded.
Thanks, appreciate the confirmation!

When you finally get it installed and have some time to try the latest software, please advise what you think and if you feel it was worth the $4k.

Regards,

-David C, Lex KY
@Fernand My decision to buy now was not so much based on the current features, but rather, for the unrestricted path to FSD from a HW and SW perspective. With Elon indicating that the price was going to go up after the next set of feature leases, I decided that the 4K upgrade would be the least amount I'd have to pay to get there. I am looking forward to the new visualizations and the ability to stop at stop signs and stop lights, but ultimately is all about the car being able to drive itself, one day. I just hope there are no future monetary hurdles that need to be jumped to get there.

I got my car December 2018 with EAP and paid for FSD in March of 2019 during that $2000 sale. I have yet to be contacted by anyone to retrofit to HW3. I guess I'm not in a rush.
Wow exact same boat, but now losing patience. Why r u not in a rush? Why’d you buy then? I just tried setting up an appointment through app. We will see what happens

Wow exact same boat, but now losing patience. Why r u not in a rush? Why’d you buy then? I just tried setting up an appointment through app. We will see what happens
There are folks that bought FSD on cars several years ago with nothing to show for it. Some folks don't even have those cars anymore, so they paid for something they never got. So I'm not holding my breath. I got it "on sale" and at the time, it was like instead of paying $4000 for nothing I paid $2000 for nothing. I saved a whole $2000 on nothing!

The way I rationalized it was I paid for Tesla to owe me the update from HW 2.5 as a bit of future-proofing. But since 3.0 still isn't isn't really doing much more than 2.5, I'm not in a rush. In theory, the hardware will be better the longer I wait.

Wrt actual FSD capabilities (not what they've recently relabled at FSD), I'll be patient and keep my expectations low.