Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrades through app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK it's currently just a way to buy FSD if you don't have it already.

I was hoping that when it first showed up, that meant that the performance upgrade was available for the X as well, but it looks like Tesla was just trolling us... For the time being.

I do hope that its arrival means that there will be future upgrade options. I would be happy to buy the acceleration boost package on my non-performance MX.

Reactions: JoJoV111
I noticed this upgrade tab in the app a few days ago after updating. My X already has EAP but the app is offering FSD. I deselected the box in hopes that the offer would go away but it keeps coming back. I feel that once I say no it should go away and I should not be getting nags to buy it. I’m afraid that if someone accidentally clicks the button I’m out $6,000 for a feature that I don’t want and won’t be able to be used for many many years.
Tesla, please offer an option to remove the upgrades tab. Perhaps have this option in the online account but not in the app. Much less chance of a customer accidentally ordering something they don’t won’t.

I noticed this upgrade tab in the app a few days ago after updating. My X already has EAP but the app is offering FSD. I deselected the box in hopes that the offer would go away but it keeps coming back. I feel that once I say no it should go away and I should not be getting nags to buy it. I’m afraid that if someone accidentally clicks the button I’m out $6,000 for a feature that I don’t want and won’t be able to be used for many many years.
Tesla, please offer an option to remove the upgrades tab. Perhaps have this option in the online account but not in the app. Much less chance of a customer accidentally ordering something they don’t won’t.
Too late:
Random unauthorized Full self driving capability upgrade

Nothing yet. But honestly Tesla still trying to charge 20k for the Ludicrous option (To turn a setting on) to bring the Performance Non Ludacris Model X from A “3.4” 0-60 to “2.7” when they charge 2k for the Model 3 acceleration boost is just disgusting.

Nothing yet. But honestly Tesla still trying to charge 20k for the Ludicrous option (To turn a setting on) to bring the Performance Non Ludacris Model X from A “3.4” 0-60 to “2.7” when they charge 2k for the Model 3 acceleration boost is just disgusting.

The performance Model X has a much larger (double the size) rear motor. Not software (nor field) upgradable.

Really? Can you show us a screenshot of the upgrades tab on the app? I'm just curious!
They don’t show it in the upgrades app, mine just shows auto pilot and FSD. If you want to purchase the 20k upgrade you have to call them or (make a service appointment in the app) and then they will contact you via text message and they will add it. I suspect to not have accidental 20k purchases.

I have the raven performance model X (non ludicrous). It’s an over the air 20k dollar software upgrade to turn it on. It already has all the necessary hardware.

$20K is the difference between performance and non-performance models, with a substantial hardware difference. It has not been possible to buy a performance without Ludicrous for some time (years), So you either do not actually have a performance model (and not possible to upgrade) or if you have a performance model, you probably already have Ludicrous. If you really don't have Ludicrous, that is a service problem that can/should be fixed for free (that has happened before). Tap Additional Vehicle Information from the software tab on the big screen, to check the rear motor type to verify.

Last edited:
$20K is the difference between performance and non-performance models, with a substantial hardware difference. It has not been possible to buy a performance without Ludicrous for some time (years), So you either do not actually have a performance model (and not possible to upgrade) or if you have a performance model, you probably already have Ludicrous. If you really don't have Ludicrous, that is a service problem that can/should be fixed for free (that has happened before). Tap Additional Vehicle Information from the software tab on the big screen, to check the rear motor type to verify.

I have a 2019 Raven Model X Performance ( Non Ludicrous). I have all the HARDWARE installed in the car. But they want 20k to turn the option on. Yes I bought it one week prior to them including it for free. Here is the text from Tesla. Yes I can add it, but my point was 1) it’s not in the upgrades app at this point and 2) it’s ridiculous for them to charge anyone now, that currently has the hardware installed in their X/S 20k dollars for a speed increase of less than a full second when indeed they only charge 2k for about the same speed increase in the Model 3. We already have the substantial hardware installed. It’s being held “hostage” by turning on software to utilize it for 20k.

Attachments

• F4F05ED4-E361-4F12-9E4F-6F8036C3384A.png
    F4F05ED4-E361-4F12-9E4F-6F8036C3384A.png
    668 KB · Views: 87
Bro, does this clear it up? I told you I Have a 2019 Raven Model X Performance ( Non Ludicrous). I have all the HARDWARE installed in the car. But they want 20k to turn the option on. Yes I bought it one week prior to them including it for free. Here is the text from Tesla. Yes I can add it, but my point was 1) it’s not in the upgrades app at this point and 2) it’s ****ing ridiculous for them to charge anyone now, that currently has the hardware installed in their X/S 20k dollars for a speed increase of less than a full second when indeed they only charge 2k for about the same speed increase in the Model 3. We already have the substantial hardware installed. It’s being held “hostage” by turning on software to utilize it for 20k.

I thought you said you were driving a 2020 Raven, but I see that was wrong, my bad. It looks like Ludicrous become a standard feature on P models in July 2019. But I think I would ask the question again and see if you get a different answer. Prior to July it looks like the feature was 15K, not 20K. Depends on when you bought it, Your app display might be correct.

Last edited:
I thought you said you were driving a 2020 Raven, but I see that was wrong, my bad. It looks like Ludicrous become a standard feature on P models in July 2019. But I think I would ask the question again and see if you get a different answer. Prior to July it looks like the feature was 15K, not 20K. Depends on when you bought it, Your app display might be correct.
Believe me I tried everything lol. I took delivery on June 28 right before the 3750 tax credit dropped off. I missed the included ludicrous and I also unlimited supercharging became standard again all in a couple weeks. So upsetting. But I guess it is what it is. Would just be nice if the luda option was a little cheaper that’s all.

Believe me I tried everything lol. I took delivery on June 28 right before the 3750 tax credit dropped off. I missed the included ludicrous and I also unlimited supercharging became standard again all in a couple weeks. So upsetting. But I guess it is what it is. Would just be nice if the luda option was a little cheaper that’s all.

i would be peeved also. Hope they come around at one point.