TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Upgrading from 48 to 72a charging??

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Zooomer, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Is this a software thing or do you have to go in and have a new inverter installed? I don't see any info on it on my mytesla page.

2. csanders90D

csanders90D Supporting Member

They've gone back and forth on this, some cars only have the hardware for 48A and other cars are software-limited 72A chargers. Easiest way is to ask Tesla to upgrade you and see what they say.

3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

It's the opposite of that actually. See this post.
    Did anyone upgrade from 48 to 72 Amps?
    The Model X had some periods of hardware and some of software. When they rolled most of the changes into the facelifted Model S, all of those have been a hardware difference.

• Like x 1
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

From that same thread, it looks like it is a software update for some facelifted/refreshed Model S owners as well. @Tech_Guy mentioned this about his refreshed P90DL:

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

It depends on when the car was produced. 72 amp software-limited chargers were a very brief phenomenon. Mine was delivered in June, and requires a hardware swap to upgrade the onboard charger.

• Like x 1
  6. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Hardware swap for my S75D - dropped it off one morning, got it back at the end of the next day.

7. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

I have a P100d ap2 so I'm assuming it's new enough for hardware.

8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I'm not sure it quite indicates that. I do recall seeing a thread or two here on this forum where there were quite a string of people who had ordered the 72A charger and got the 72A charger when the car was built, but had gotten the wrong firmware in it that was limiting it. @Tech_Guy may have been one of those along with many others. The issue would be for people who actually ORDERED the base 48A charger and the car was built that way. After their car is built, and they change their minds and want to upgrade, what happens then?

9. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

That's my case, it was a hardware swap.

10. Zetopan

Zetopan Member

I also have a Model S P100D and it is nominally set to charge at 40 amps (at 240VAC). I was also told that if we pay the money it could be upgraded to 72 amps at any time using the wireless connection. In other words all of the P100D models have the hardware for 72 amps but firmware limits it to 40 amps unless you buy the higher current option. 40 amps is way more than enough for us so I do not ever see buying the higher charging current upgrade.

• Informative x 1
  11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

When you are not at your regular charging location, does the charging screen show 48 or 40? I think it would actually be limited to 48 amps when using a HPWC or similar connector but when using a 14-50 outlet it would be limited to 40 amps.

12. Zetopan

Zetopan Member

I only have and only use the 14-50 outlet method. The 14-50 with suitably heavier wiring and a 60 amp breaker could supply 48 amps. I installed 6-3 wiring and a 50 amp breaker so 40 amps is the maximum charging current for us. Even 40 amps is way overkill and in fact we could get by with only 120VAC charging (about a 3 miles / hour charging rate) for the majority of the time. To use a HPWC we would have to pay to get Tesla to enable the higher charging current capability in the Model S as well as purchase a HPWC. Note that I have no way to test the 48 amp capability of the 14-50 since I used lighter wiring and a lower limit breaker than that would require.

The main aim of my previous posting was to point out that the 2016 P100D comes with the ability to handle the full 72 amp charging rate, but the Tesla software limits it to a lower value unless you pay extra for the higher charging rate. Hence the rate is fully alterable over the air and without any necessary hardware changes in the car. Apparently this was not the case for the earlier Model S Teslas.

• Like x 1
  13. whitex

whitex Active Member

You can use HPWC without paying Tesla for 72A. Your P100D should be able to charge at least 48A. You will never be able to get more than 40A out of the NEMA 14-50 no matter what wires you use because the mobile connector will limit you to 40A. And while you cannot test it with just a mobile connector, you can verify max current of your onboard charger by going to the charge screen when nothing is plugged into the charge port and seeing that is the max limit you can set it to with the arrows.

• Informative x 1
  14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Disagree x 2
  15. whitex

whitex Active Member

• Like x 2
  16. tpham07

tpham07 Member

The High Amperage 48A/72A chargers are not the same as the dual chargers. Interesting how this misconception/mistake still perpetuates every thread on this same exact subject.

• Like x 1
  17. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

Hardware swap for my facelift S90D delivered June 2016.

I asked if I could keep the original charger and they said "Nope". o_O

18. whitex

whitex Active Member

Yea, upgrade probably has the "trade-in" value of the old charger included. Those probably become reconditioned parts. Same thing happened with the LTE upgrades, customers were not allowed to keep the old 3G modem.

19. jphelps74

jphelps74 Member

Tesla Quoted me $2,000 plus Tax to upgrade to 72Amp. This is on a 2017 model S75D