Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from 48 to 72a charging??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you have one of the very early Model X cars that was built, it should be a software upgrade for any refreshed Model S cars and newer Model X cars.
It's the opposite of that actually. See this post.
Did anyone upgrade from 48 to 72 Amps?
The Model X had some periods of hardware and some of software. When they rolled most of the changes into the facelifted Model S, all of those have been a hardware difference.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
It's the opposite of that actually. See this post.
Did anyone upgrade from 48 to 72 Amps?
The Model X had some periods of hardware and some of software. When they rolled most of the changes into the facelifted Model S, all of those have been a hardware difference.
From that same thread, it looks like it is a software update for some facelifted/refreshed Model S owners as well. @Tech_Guy mentioned this about his refreshed P90DL:
My car was ordered with 72amp charger but they delivered it with only the 48 I went to the service center and they plugged in a laptop and flipped a setting to allow the 72amp charging.

I can confirm its a software change, not a hardware one.

Reactions: Gt1948
From that same thread, it looks like it is a software update for some facelifted/refreshed Model S owners as well. @Tech_Guy mentioned this about his refreshed P90DL:
It depends on when the car was produced. 72 amp software-limited chargers were a very brief phenomenon. Mine was delivered in June, and requires a hardware swap to upgrade the onboard charger.

Reactions: Gt1948 and EVCarGUy
I'm not sure it quite indicates that. I do recall seeing a thread or two here on this forum where there were quite a string of people who had ordered the 72A charger and got the 72A charger when the car was built, but had gotten the wrong firmware in it that was limiting it. @Tech_Guy may have been one of those along with many others. The issue would be for people who actually ORDERED the base 48A charger and the car was built that way. After their car is built, and they change their minds and want to upgrade, what happens then?

I have a P100d ap2 so I'm assuming it's new enough for hardware.

I also have a Model S P100D and it is nominally set to charge at 40 amps (at 240VAC). I was also told that if we pay the money it could be upgraded to 72 amps at any time using the wireless connection. In other words all of the P100D models have the hardware for 72 amps but firmware limits it to 40 amps unless you buy the higher current option. 40 amps is way more than enough for us so I do not ever see buying the higher charging current upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I also have a Model S P100D and it is nominally set to charge at 40 amps (at 240VAC). I was also told that if we pay the money it could be upgraded to 72 amps at any time using the wireless connection. In other words all of the P100D models have the hardware for 72 amps but firmware limits it to 40 amps unless you buy the higher current option. 40 amps is way more than enough for us so I do not ever see buying the higher charging current upgrade.
When you are not at your regular charging location, does the charging screen show 48 or 40? I think it would actually be limited to 48 amps when using a HPWC or similar connector but when using a 14-50 outlet it would be limited to 40 amps.

... but when using a 14-50 outlet it would be limited to 40 amps.

I only have and only use the 14-50 outlet method. The 14-50 with suitably heavier wiring and a 60 amp breaker could supply 48 amps. I installed 6-3 wiring and a 50 amp breaker so 40 amps is the maximum charging current for us. Even 40 amps is way overkill and in fact we could get by with only 120VAC charging (about a 3 miles / hour charging rate) for the majority of the time. To use a HPWC we would have to pay to get Tesla to enable the higher charging current capability in the Model S as well as purchase a HPWC. Note that I have no way to test the 48 amp capability of the 14-50 since I used lighter wiring and a lower limit breaker than that would require.

The main aim of my previous posting was to point out that the 2016 P100D comes with the ability to handle the full 72 amp charging rate, but the Tesla software limits it to a lower value unless you pay extra for the higher charging rate. Hence the rate is fully alterable over the air and without any necessary hardware changes in the car. Apparently this was not the case for the earlier Model S Teslas.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
To use a HPWC we would have to pay to get Tesla to enable the higher charging current capability in the Model S as well as purchase a HPWC. Note that I have no way to test the 48 amp capability of the 14-50 since I used lighter wiring and a lower limit breaker than that would require.

You can use HPWC without paying Tesla for 72A. Your P100D should be able to charge at least 48A. You will never be able to get more than 40A out of the NEMA 14-50 no matter what wires you use because the mobile connector will limit you to 40A. And while you cannot test it with just a mobile connector, you can verify max current of your onboard charger by going to the charge screen when nothing is plugged into the charge port and seeing that is the max limit you can set it to with the arrows.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla — Dual Charger with Installation

upload_2017-5-28_16-57-53.png