Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset with lack of features on Hardware 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how people managed to stay alive when all you had to work with was two side mirrors, a reviewer mirror, a steering wheel, a gas pedal and a brake pedal.

You had to know which pedal to use and how much pressure to apply. You even had to turn the wheel yourself.

How did any of this not come up when ordering or picking up the car?

I think a lot of folks were aware of the autopilot limitations. Tesla did make that pretty clear on the website. However, I think the loss of auto wipers, auto high-beams, TACC, etc was a bit surprising. Before AP 1 was released, TACC still worked, I believe. And auto wipers worked with non-AP cars, so who would have expected that feature to be tied to AP 2.0?

Also, I saw reports that the earliest AP 2.0 cars didn't even have regular non-smart cruise control (although that was remedied fairly quickly).

So, I don't blame new owners for being a little upset about the scope of the missing features. It turned out to be a larger list than I think anyone would have guessed prior to release.

I think a lot of folks were aware of the autopilot limitations. Tesla did make that pretty clear on the website. However, I think the loss of auto wipers, auto high-beams, TACC, etc was a bit surprising. Before AP 1 was released, TACC still worked, I believe. And auto wipers worked with non-AP cars, so who would have expected that feature to be tied to AP 2.0?

Also, I saw reports that the earliest AP 2.0 cars didn't even have regular non-smart cruise control (although that was remedied fairly quickly).

So, I don't blame new owners for being a little upset about the scope of the missing features. It turned out to be a larger list than I think anyone would have guessed prior to release.

Very good point and noted.

However, are any of these upset AP2 owners willing to trade with the upset people who missed the cut off for AP2 by a month or two?

Truly there seems to be no "best" time to get a Tesla.

Right when you take delivery of a fully functioning AP2 Tesla, that is when you will miss out a new battery or something.

TACC was released before Autosteer, yes. But even that was a good six months after AP hardware started showing up if I remember right.

I'm pretty sure the only two new features AP1 cars launched with were auto highbeams and speed limit warning.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and davidc18

Those of us that took delivery in late 2014 with AP1 HW did not have Auto High Beams, TACC. Those features were added with a firmware update in January 2015.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
New member here. Just ordered Model X for my wife a few weeks ago. DS states it will enter production Dec. 12th and potential delivery by end of year (fingers crossed). I feel like I did enough research to know the vehicle and its features but maybe not enough to know the roll out of AP 2.0 in detail. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Mitch

New member here. Just ordered Model X for my wife a few weeks ago. DS states it will enter production Dec. 12th and potential delivery by end of year (fingers crossed). I feel like I did enough research to know the vehicle and its features but maybe not enough to know the roll out of AP 2.0 in detail. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Mitch

Start here: All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

Don't have much detail other than Elon tweeting that most features found on AP1 hardware will be added via firmware update before the end of December.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
What's interesting is that delivery of these cars prior to software release will mean users will have to figure out the different functions on their own since the DS won't have knowledge about it either. Maybe an instructional video release as well?

Start here: All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

Don't have much detail other than Elon tweeting that most features found on AP1 hardware will be added via firmware update before the end of December.

Thanks!! So basically we won't have some of the features early on until the updates take place but get updated hardware.

Is my understanding correct that the self driving component is not available in the original AP and won't be because the hardware is different in new vehicles?

Thanks again!!

Mitch

Mitch

AP 2.0 is using the nvidia px2 full autonomy hardware. A single px2 board consists of 6 Titan X gpu's and 2 tegra processors.

The nvidia images of the px2 full autonomy suite shows two of the px2 boards, so tesla AP2 could actually be 12 titan X's and 4 tegras, im still trying to confirm that though.

The processing capability is far beyond what you can imagine.

Let me explain, the average person hasnt really had a computer in their hands that is 150 times more powerful than one of the top of the line computers on the market.

When you think of the fastest desktop or laptop you probably think of some really nice video games, maybe intense video processing, virtual reality or just writing text documents.

The computers driving AP 2.0 are 150 times more powerful than a Mac book pro.

I know you're probably thinking but Elon and the order page says it's only 40 times more powerful.

well go back and look again it actually says 40 times more powerful than before (referring to AP 1.0) which is actually pretty good news for AP 1.0 cars because that means there is still a lot of life left in AP1.0

Anyways I digress my point being, the computer running the full autonomy is capable of more than the average person can fathom at this time.

Tesla has already demonstrated that they are testing that full autonomy.

So before any of you guys assume that this round of auto pilot will follow step with the last round consider this. #1 they've already released AP1.0 gotten legislative approval for that and this new suite is significantly more powerful than the last, things are not the same this time around.

I'm confident we can expect great things from AP 2 and we can expect them to be delivered faster than they did with AP 1.

And if you're wondering how I know all of this..... I'm addicted to YouTube, I've watched every video on px2 and read every article I could find.

Solid summation. Thanks! :)

AP 2.0 is using the nvidia px2 full autonomy hardware. A single px2 board consists of 6 Titan X gpu's and 2 tegra processors.

The nvidia images of the px2 full autonomy suite shows two of the px2 boards, so tesla AP2 could actually be 12 titan X's and 4 tegras, im still trying to confirm that though.

The processing capability is far beyond what you can imagine.

And if you're wondering how I know all of this..... I'm addicted to YouTube, I've watched every video on px2 and read every article I could find.

Wouldn't they have explained all of this upon delivery of the vehicle? If not, that's a pretty glaring omission, and an opportunity for improvement. Unless car was shipped direct?
Even "shipped direct" aren't just dropped off on your front porch by the FedEx guy. I had mine delivered to my driveway, and the delivery person did a creditable job on the walkthrough. Probably not as polished as in-store delivery would have been, but I bet he'd've mentioned the OP's points had they existed for my car at the time.

Even "shipped direct" aren't just dropped off on your front porch by the FedEx guy. I had mine delivered to my driveway, and the delivery person did a creditable job on the walkthrough. Probably not as polished as in-store delivery would have been, but I bet he'd've mentioned the OP's points had they existed for my car at the time.

Oh, that's great that they still have someone take you through everything. I just wasn't sure by the sound of it.

Reactions: jgs
AP2 is going to be worth the wait, which shouldn't be all that long.

our DS advised us that they are ahead of schedule and might be pushing the update very soon, im hoping it happens this week since we take delivery on Friday :)
Picked up my MX last Friday. DS delivered same message. Elon communicated to his employees that they seem to be ahead of schedule on the release. DS said 2nd or 3rd week of Dec. The date seems to be in align with external message. But, the amount of functionality being delivered is ahead of plan.