Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Superchargers open to CCS vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I am a Tesla driver, what additional benefits do I get compared to other electric vehicles?
    As a Tesla driver you benefit from the seamless integration of charge post and vehicle, optimized route planning and battery pre-conditioning. With your Tesla, you’ll also have access to the lowest Supercharger pricing.

So who will be the first to post a video or image of this working? Just go into the Tesla app, click your acct. then sipe left on the icons below your image and choose Charge Your Non-Tesla and you'll see all the chargers you can use:

B42F82B2-E5BD-41F6-82A8-79ECC1B664F1_1_201_a.jpeg

West coast:

Placerville, CA
Scott's Valley, CA

3CC2C96A-3CF3-450C-8CC7-1924ACEA4C9B_1_201_a.jpeg

East Coast:

Batavia, NY
Brewster, NY
Hancock, NY
Fredonia, NY
Malta, NY
Parish, NY
Red Hook, NY
Verona, NY

Last edited:
I've actually wondered for years why it isn't the other way around. If the cable was attached closer to the vehicle instead of farther away from it, it would give another foot or so of usable cable.
I always thought it was so that cable doesn't have to bend to connect to the car, it's basically a straight shot. If it was mounted on the other side, depending on how close you are, you might have to bend the cable to connect it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I certainly hope so! Right now I would be reluctant to take a long road trip if I can't rely to having prompt access to Superchargers. I've driven the I-5 and I-80 corridors on many long trips, and it's great right now. Please Tesla, don't ruin a good thing.
They've had them open in Europe for a good while and they still have only opened up the less busy locations. If you watch Bjorn's videos you rarely see full SCs. But of course the native CCS charging network in Norway is magnitudes larger and reliable than the N.A. CCS networks so that keeps CCS cars off of the more expensive SC network anyways. Still, Tesla isn't going to be opening up SCs that already see lineups with just Teslas.

Might also be able to determine that by VIN. Most CCS cars should be able to transmit that under the Plug and Charge standards.

Also note that it's more likely to be the other way around.
Tesla's charging in alternate spots will prevent a non-Tesla with the port on the wrong side from charging - so those cars might learn to skip busy times.
In a V3, parking in alternate spots is not necessary.

Reactions: house9
That is certainly a Taycan, but I'll have to say, in my suburban neck of the woods, it is rare to see a Supercharger parking stall so wide that one can be 4' from one of the painted lines, AND lacking concrete parking stops that prevent Tesla's physically from backing in and hitting the supercharger pedestal directly, to allow the Taycan to actually pull ALONGSIDE the pedestal like that.
Anyone notice it’s a handicapped space? I’m 99% sure that the driver is not handicapped.

Anyone notice it’s a handicapped space? I’m 99% sure that the driver is not handicapped.
I can’t speak for everywhere, but at least in California it’s very common for new supercharger developments to have one stall marked as handicapped. They’re often, but not always, marked with signage that says something like “use last” or similar.

They’re also often in far corners of the lot with the rest of the station and not really practical for actual handicap usage.

I believe there are incentives/credits available for parking improvements that include ADA spaces and Tesla has been successful at taking advantage of this to drive down the price of developing new stations.

Tesla should sell a cable extender for Non-Tesla vehicles.
The owner of the car that wants to use the tesla station would need to purchase the one that will work with their specific vehicle. That way, ALL cars pull into the stall correctly. They don't block any slots. You would still need an account to activate the charger to use on your car, and it would (hopefully) prevent people from pulling on the cables to get that 'extra inch' to be able to plug in their car.
It likely wouldn't be very cheap and it's right now of very limited use in the US due to the few sites. I'm in CA and there are only 2 such sites here, so far. And, the price is pretty high vs. other CCS networks.

It would take much better coverage for there to be a better take rate.

They've had them open in Europe for a good while and they still have only opened up the less busy locations. If you watch Bjorn's videos you rarely see full SCs. But of course the native CCS charging network in Norway is magnitudes larger and reliable than the N.A. CCS networks so that keeps CCS cars off of the more expensive SC network anyways. Still, Tesla isn't going to be opening up SCs that already see lineups with just Teslas.
Exactly.

"Will more sites open to non-Tesla vehicles?
We’re starting with a select number of sites so that we can review the experience, monitor congestion and assess feedback before expanding. Future sites will only be opened to non-Tesla vehicles if there is available capacity."