Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side note: why don’t they do this?

Battery degradation is a concern for people, especially on a 260 mile range car. Seems like they could mitigate this essentially for free for the cars that need it most.
That would mean that the pack would need to degrade ~55%, which would likely never happen, before the warranty kicked in.

One reason is that it is likely they will sell an unlock in the future to allow use of the rest of the battery, if they have already allowed use of that to hide degradation, then there might not be much, if anything to unlock. Another reason is that it isn't really "fair" to give you access to something you didn't pay for. Yet another is that it might decrease demand for the LR variant. (If you know that the LR can degrade to 231 miles of range before they would replace the pack, but the RWD would not suffer much degradation at all, even at 30% pack degradation it would still have 234 miles of range.)

That's not how it will work if the MY RWD has a LR battery for the math I reasoned above. The degradation will be at a lower rate.
The limit is simply a cap on the state of charge. Say 80% in this case for simplicity.

The battery degrades exactly the same as it would if the entire range were available to you. There’s no fractional math or sorcery applied. The car will always charge to whatever a fully unlocked battery would charge to at 80%.

For someone concerned about minimizing degradation and therefore trying to minimize time above 55% of the actual capacity on an NCA battery, wouldn't the threshold on an 80%-limited battery by 69% for this purpose?

I.e. for daily driving, charge to 69%, and charge higher only when needed (e.g. just before departure on a longer trip).

Side note: why don’t they do this?

Battery degradation is a concern for people, especially on a 260 mile range car. Seems like they could mitigate this essentially for free for the cars that need it most.
They don't do this because it provides disproportionate value for the RWD, when they would rather you buy the more expensive option obviously (as others mentioned they may offer an unlock feature also in the future). You are already getting a degradation, regen, and charging speed advantage for free and this would tip the scale even further.

Reactions: Patrick_TX
I have an early 2020 LRMY that came with a printout from Tesla stating that the usable capacity (when new) was 74kWh (This paperwork documented the usable capacity of the battery for a rebate program that was in effect at the time in Maryland.) I always understood the total capacity to be ~77 to78kWh. Later Tesla added ~4.5kWh to the LR and P battery for ~82kWh total capacity (78 to 79kWh usable.)
Oh, that is interesting. I guess I had gotten used to my figure after degradation, which seems like high 60s.

I estimate the capacity of my 2020 LRMY battery (after 3.5 years) is ~65.5kWh, approximately -10% as compared to new.

I estimate the capacity of my 2020 LRMY battery (after 3.5 years) is ~65.5kWh, approximately -10% as compared to new.
I have a MY RWD ordered but honestly having cold feet thereafter. I am very concerned about the range for in the longer term. In 5 or 6 years I dont want to make a bunch of charging stops when I go to a neighboring city.

I have a MY RWD ordered but honestly having cold feet thereafter. I am very concerned about the range for in the longer term. In 5 or 6 years I dont want to make a bunch of charging stops when I go to a neighboring city.
If you are new to driving an EV you soon learn to let go of range anxiety concerns and embrace the Supercharger network or DC Fast Charge stations when traveling. There are now so many Tesla Supercharger locations in North America (over 20,000 Supercharger plugs) that you are rarely very far from a Supercharger while traveling. Routines that served you well when driving an ICE vehicle may no longer apply. You won't need to "fill the tank" before starting a trip. In most cases you don't need to charge an EV to 100% before starting a trip as 80% to 90% should be fine.

With few exceptions today's EVs can't travel over 400 miles (even 300+ miles) without stopping; but so what? You and your passengers and any pets would likely benefit from a short break every ~2 hours. You combine a travel break with charging (typically less than 30 minutes) and then continue your trip. Taking scheduled breaks from driving is less fatiguing, healthier and safer than pushing on when you are already tired. Depending on the trip you may only need to make one additional planned charging stop along the trip route for a short charging session.

The latest version of the Tesla phone app enables you to plan a trip that includes multiple stops and then send the route plan to the Tesla vehicle. You can also plan your trip using A Better Route Planner (ABRP) right on your phone or computer. The basic version of ABRP is free to use.

The range of my 2020 LRMY is certainly down (by 10% from what was originally estimated to be 316 miles). Now a full charge shows ~284 miles and in real world driving perhaps my Model Y can only travel ~250 miles. I can take trips in my Model Y anywhere I care to travel and know that the Supercharger network will enable me to make the trip. Stopping every 2 hours (every 150 or so miles) works well for my needs. I am not limited by range.

Last edited:
If you are new to driving an EV you soon learn to let go of range anxiety concerns and embrace the Supercharger network or DC Fast Charge stations when traveling. There are now so many Tesla Supercharger locations in North America (over 20,000 Supercharger plugs) that you are rarely very far from a Supercharger while traveling. Routines that served you well when driving an ICE vehicle may no longer apply. You won't need to "fill the tank" before starting a trip. In most cases you don't need to charge an EV to 100% before starting a trip as 80% to 90% should be fine.

With few exceptions today's EVs can't travel over 400 miles (even 300+ miles) without stopping; but so what? You and your passengers and any pets would likely benefit from a short break every ~2 hours. You combine a travel break with charging (typically less than 30 minutes) and then continue your trip. Taking scheduled breaks from driving is less fatiguing, healthier and safer than pushing on when you are already tired. Depending on the trip you may only need to make one additional planned charging stop along the trip route for a short charging session.

The latest version of the Tesla phone app enables you to plan a trip that includes multiple stops and then send the route plan to the Tesla vehicle. You can also plan your trip using A Better Route Planner (ABRP) right on your phone or computer. The basic version of ABRP is free to use.

The range of my 2020 LRMY is certainly down (by 10% from what was originally estimated to be 316 miles). Now a full charge shows ~284 miles and in real world driving perhaps my Model Y can only travel ~250 miles. I can take trips in my Model Y anywhere I care to travel and know that the Supercharger network will enable me to make the trip. Stopping every 2 hours (every 150 or so miles) works well for my needs. I am not limited by range.
I appreciate you sharing the mindset shift from ICE to EV. Its really helpful. I guess where I am struggling is after spending a bunch of money, I would have to adapt to my car. Folks are willing to make compromises for being an EV owner or a high performance car but there are others whom practically of the occasional long communte matters. I am not sure it will all play out in my case 😀.

I appreciate you sharing the mindset shift from ICE to EV. Its really helpful. I guess where I am struggling is after spending a bunch of money, I would have to adapt to my car. Folks are willing to make compromises for being an EV owner or a high performance car but there are others whom practically of the occasional long communte matters. I am not sure it will all play out in my case 😀.
You can rent a Tesla Model Y or Model 3 from Hertz. That way you can take a trip and decide if driving a Tesla is for you. After 42 months owning my 2020 LRMY as my only vehicle I still smile every single time I drive.