Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if some here went from before .40 to .42 and they have NoA then that would of course be wrong. Unless they download right after before testing which seems very strange.
I did go from .40 to .42, but I can tell there are no downloads between the two updates. I got 39.7 on 10/15, 40 on 10/18 and 42 on 10/28. NoA is enabled and working on my 2018 Model X.

upload_2018-11-2_15-2-51.png

• Informative
Reactions: bollar and Helmuth
Add me to the list. I've had 42.2 for a week with no NoA. I had the screen replaced about 6 weeks ago due to the "yellow border" issue. I also had the car for service to replace side camera due to errors it was throwing (per Tesla). I had a 6+ gb download about 3-4 weeks ago which I assumed was the maps. I've tried hard reset to no avail.

On hold with customer service now...

Add me to the list. I've had 42.2 for a week with no NoA. I had the screen replaced about 6 weeks ago due to the "yellow border" issue. I also had the car for service to replace side camera due to errors it was throwing (per Tesla). I had a 6+ gb download about 3-4 weeks ago which I assumed was the maps. I've tried hard reset to no avail.

On hold with customer service now...

They say the map update from 3-4 weeks ago didn't install correctly and they are going to get the SC to try to push an update. Failing that I have to take it in or have mobile tech come and try to fix it.

Had 42.2 installed on our 2017 S 100D (AP2.0, MCU1) this week. After a few days, still no NOAP - so I called Tesla's phone support group. They looked at the vehicle status and declared the maps were out of date and said a mobile service technician would be coming out to the car to install the map update.

I was driving by the local Service Center and stopped by to get the map update installed. After they did that, NOAP still didn't show up in the Autopilot settings.

They took the car back into the service bay and did some more updates. The "enable NOAP" feature is now displayed on the Autopilot settings, but still didn't activate on the route over limited access highways on the way home.

After getting home a new update was ready to be installed - updating the car to 42.3.

Will see if NOAP shows up when driving over 100 miles around town tomorrow.

This is another example of why Tesla should have more owners participate in Beta Testing before releases are distributed. The Service Centers and phone support are busy enough without having to waste their time helping owners overcome software update problems...

Had 42.2 installed on our 2017 S 100D (AP2.0, MCU1) this week. After a few days, still no NOAP - so I called Tesla's phone support group. They looked at the vehicle status and declared the maps were out of date and said a mobile service technician would be coming out to the car to install the map update.

I was driving by the local Service Center and stopped by to get the map update installed. After they did that, NOAP still didn't show up in the Autopilot settings.

They took the car back into the service bay and did some more updates. The "enable NOAP" feature is now displayed on the Autopilot settings, but still didn't activate on the route over limited access highways on the way home.

After getting home a new update was ready to be installed - updating the car to 42.3.

Will see if NOAP shows up when driving over 100 miles around town tomorrow.

This is another example of why Tesla should have more owners participate in Beta Testing before releases are distributed. The Service Centers and phone support are busy enough without having to waste their time helping owners overcome software update problems...
That's great that with some work by Tesla the map updates were applied and the NoA option showed up. You may still need to wait a bit for the cameras to finish celebrating from what I've seen on the forums.

I'm still playing tag with support to get my maps updated correctly So far, all remote and no SC/ranger visits.

That's great that with some work by Tesla the map updates were applied and the NoA option showed up. You may still need to wait a bit for the cameras to finish celebrating from what I've seen on the forums.

I'm still playing tag with support to get my maps updated correctly So far, all remote and no SC/ranger visits.
I'm in the same boat. I've had 42.2 for almost a week now and no NoA. I've talked with Tesla several times and we both know that it is a Map Pack that is needed. The map pack update is staged and ready to go for my car. They even "Poked" my car to try to get it to go faster. I guess they actually have a button on their screen labeled "Poke".

Aside from this, ever since I got my first V9 update (39.6), almost a month ago, my car has continuously been downloading 9MB per hour and uploading 3MB per hour. It's a very slow constant trickle that adds up to that. I finally got my network config at home setup so I could use Wireshark to see what was going on. The car is constantly communicating with AWS, Tesla, and Cloudfront. I can't see a lot of the data due to the OpenVPN connections I see being made but I was able to see Teslamotors name in all the security certificates. I think the car is constantly trying to connect and download the maps but is failing and then retrying. This is just a guess on my part. The techs at Tesla say that they can't see any of this and as far as they can see the car hasn't started downloading the maps yet. I think a Ranger is being scheduled to come out and see if they can figure out the data transmissions and hopefully load the maps.

TMC,

I have the V9 2018.42.2 update which I received this weekend but I still don’t have drive on Nav. I am in Canada. Any suggestions?

I’ve got 42.2 in the US and also no autopilot on nav. I wonder if it’s supposed to be a FSD feature?

Can other people post their car specs?

I have a MCU 1 / AP 2.0 / EAP. No FSD and I don’t see an autopilot on nav feature on 14.2.

Last edited:
After several hours at the Service Center on Saturday downloading updates - and another update of 42.3 installed after we got home, NOAP started working last night.

Tesla really should reconsider the strategy of downloading the map data for entire continents - since almost all navigation is done within an hour or two radius of "home".

For a vehicle that is always connected, what would make more sense is to provide the map data for a reasonable area around the vehicle's current location (200 mile radius?), and when a navigation route is made for outside of that region (which is calculated on Tesla's cloud server), only then download the additional map database fragments needed for the trip. And since that amount of data is still a small fraction of what Tesla is downloading now into all vehicles - that data can likely be added before the vehicle reaches a point on the route when it will be needed.

If Tesla only sent the data for the surrounding area, they'd also be able to distribute more frequent updates - keeping the onboard data more up-to-date, helpful in areas of recent construction.

42.2 was installed in our S 100D AP2.0 last week. When it didn't show NOAP (Navigate on AutoPilot), called Tesla's phone support, and they indicated a map update would be needed and would schedule a service call. The service center had our car for several hours on Saturday, downloading map/software updates - and another update (42.3) was installed on our S when we got home.

By last night, NOAP started working.

If it's been several days since you've received 42.2 (or later) on an AP2.x vehicle, and NOAP still doesn't show up on the AutoPilot settings window, call Tesla and report the issue so they can help you get the needed map data and software updates.

After several hours at the Service Center on Saturday downloading updates - and another update of 42.3 installed after we got home, NOAP started working last night.

Tesla really should reconsider the strategy of downloading the map data for entire continents - since almost all navigation is done within an hour or two radius of "home".

For a vehicle that is always connected, what would make more sense is to provide the map data for a reasonable area around the vehicle's current location (200 mile radius?), and when a navigation route is made for outside of that region (which is calculated on Tesla's cloud server), only then download the additional map database fragments needed for the trip. And since that amount of data is still a small fraction of what Tesla is downloading now into all vehicles - that data can likely be added before the vehicle reaches a point on the route when it will be needed.

If Tesla only sent the data for the surrounding area, they'd also be able to distribute more frequent updates - keeping the onboard data more up-to-date, helpful in areas of recent construction.
This problem is only for the older cars that had navigon maps. the second update for tesla maps is trying to apply a diff from navigon to teslamaps and it does nto work nicely. I saw it happen in my car (but I know how to force the update), once you get past that hurdle subsequent updates go in smoothly. There's even a service bulletin for this.

The surrounding data is also there in thee form of adas tiles too.

There were also some packets that referenced tel.vn.teslamotors.com in the data. Not sure what that is. Maybe someone here knows.
that's just telemetry.

X 100 D - 2018.42.2 on Oct 30 2018

I went to the service center today. They said I had map version 2018.6. They downloaded current maps. (note they said my son's 3 had 2018.9 maps).
Driving on my way home from the service center my MCU (Console display) rebooted for a long time. When it came back I pulled over and my NoA options were now there.

They had also repushed the cars firmware thinking that may need to trigger something when it installed. NoA showed up before that install. When I got home I did the car firmware update and now have 2018.42.3.

X 100 D - 2018.42.2 on Oct 30 2018

I went to the service center today. They said I had map version 2018.6. They downloaded current maps. (note they said my son's 3 had 2018.9 maps).
Driving on my way home from the service center my MCU (Console display) rebooted for a long time. When it came back I pulled over and my NoA options were now there.

They had also repushed the cars firmware thinking that may need to trigger something when it installed. NoA showed up before that install. When I got home I did the car firmware update and now have 2018.42.3.
Encouraging reports - visiting the SC tomorrow morning to have them do a manual map update.

Reactions: scottf200
42.2 was installed in our S 100D AP2.0 last week. When it didn't show NOAP (Navigate on AutoPilot), called Tesla's phone support, and they indicated a map update would be needed and would schedule a service call. The service center had our car for several hours on Saturday, downloading map/software updates - and another update (42.3) was installed on our S when we got home.

By last night, NOAP started working.

If it's been several days since you've received 42.2 (or later) on an AP2.x vehicle, and NOAP still doesn't show up on the AutoPilot settings window, call Tesla and report the issue so they can help you get the needed map data and software updates.
I second this advice. I'm in the same situation and have an SC visit scheduled for the morning to manually update maps that failed to update over WiFi.

I second this advice. I'm in the same situation and have an SC visit scheduled for the morning to manually update maps that failed to update over WiFi.

Must be nice to have that option. The earliest my SC has a date available for drop off is January 2, 2019. Seems a bit absurd.. I should probably start scheduling the 5th year service on my 2017 sometime next week.

• Funny
Reactions: bollar
Same thing happened to me, once Navigate on Autopilot appear that constant activity went away
How did you get NoA to finally appear? Did you have to get the SC to manually update your maps? I've got an appt tomorrow to have the maps manually loaded. I'm hoping that once the new map pack is loaded the constant data to/from my car and Tesla will stop. Plus I'll finally get to try out NoA for myself.

After today's call, I decided to write as well.

Hello,

This Model X 90D was upgraded to firmware 2018.42.2 last Tuesday, October 30. Navigate on Autopilot was not available, so I contacted customer support on Wednesday, October 31. The representative said that I had current maps, but there was something that needed to be done by engineering to fix that problem and I should expect an email saying it was completed within 24-48 hours.

I didn’t receive an email, so I called again on Saturday, November 3. I was told that there were extensive notes and I should expect a response within 24-48 hours. He also gave me a case number: xxx

Again, I wasn’t contacted, so I called again today (November 6). The representative said he didn’t need my case number. I was told that it was possible that I wouldn’t get Navigate over Autopilot until “it’s out of beta,” along with a suggestion to have the car connected to strong WiFi (it is). Autopilot itself has been in beta for years, so to suggest that Navigate over Autopilot might not be available until it’s out of beta simply doesn’t make sense.

I understand that workloads are high at Tesla, but to have two ETAs missed, no transparency on what it’s actually going to take to get this problem fixed and then to be told that it might not be fixed isn’t acceptable.

I would like to know specifically what it will take to get Navigate on Autopilot installed on my car, whether that’s work by some remote Tesla team, with a time commitment, a service appointment at a Service Center, or a visit from Mobile Service.

Thanks,

After today's call, I decided to write as well.

Hello,

This Model X 90D was upgraded to firmware 2018.42.2 last Tuesday, October 30. Navigate on Autopilot was not available, so I contacted customer support on Wednesday, October 31. The representative said that I had current maps, but there was something that needed to be done by engineering to fix that problem and I should expect an email saying it was completed within 24-48 hours.

I didn’t receive an email, so I called again on Saturday, November 3. I was told that there were extensive notes and I should expect a response within 24-48 hours. He also gave me a case number: xxx

Again, I wasn’t contacted, so I called again today (November 6). The representative said he didn’t need my case number. I was told that it was possible that I wouldn’t get Navigate over Autopilot until “it’s out of beta,” along with a suggestion to have the car connected to strong WiFi (it is). Autopilot itself has been in beta for years, so to suggest that Navigate over Autopilot might not be available until it’s out of beta simply doesn’t make sense.

I understand that workloads are high at Tesla, but to have two ETAs missed, no transparency on what it’s actually going to take to get this problem fixed and then to be told that it might not be fixed isn’t acceptable.

I would like to know specifically what it will take to get Navigate on Autopilot installed on my car, whether that’s work by some remote Tesla team, with a time commitment, a service appointment at a Service Center, or a visit from Mobile Service.

Thanks,

I’m in the same boat received 42.2 a week ago without Navigate on Aitopilot, called the next day and was told a patch would be sent to the car to fix my outdated maps and to wait 3-4 days and call back. I called back today because the Navigate on Autopilot was still missing. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes was finally able to speak to someone who spent about 30 mins trouble shooting and reviewing the cars logs to no avail.

In the end was told to just keep waiting. I don’t feel like this issue is going to be solved by just waiting, my car is always connected to strong Wifi so something else is obviously going on that’s preventing it from receiving whatever it needs to receive to get Navigate on Autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar