Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if v11 has a lot of work done on the media player side which resulted in breaking the album art. I'm also wondering if all of these updates we have been receiving with nothing but bug fixes is probably shared code between what we have and what is in v11. If the album art is still not fixed in v11 then I'll be annoyed like everyone else.

Reactions: pilotSteve
why are the simple things so hard for Tesla?

my USB music album art has been missing for 6-8 months.

of course it's NOT a deal breaker, but it's a "nice to have". especially since it worked and was taken away. like the old display for Model 3. still hate that. i want classic view! software must be hard...

Reactions: Nobleman
Tesla is never going to fix this, mostly because they don't give a s... about the customer once they have sold the car.
As is evidenced by all of the other SW updates you have received AT NO COST since you purchased your car.
I do not understand why they cannot fix this issue, so simple but not important to Tesla.
Simple to the person who does not have to make the fix that most likely has a host of interactivity with other elements of the vehicle such as mentioned by @tomas in post 259.

Yesterday I drove from Phoenix, AZ to Page, AZ. Roughly 500 miles round trip, with roughly 200 of them with no cell coverage at all, much less 3G or better. Tidal would have been mighty disappointing.
Yeah, I’ve done that drive. Reality is that I’ll bet 99% of fleet miles are in LTE or better, and huge majority of drivers will never or seldom go out of range for sustained period… just blips. So, those of us who do long drives in desolation will need to realize we are not the market force and make do with art-less USB. Not that bad😇

Yeah, I’ve done that drive. Reality is that I’ll bet 99% of fleet miles are in LTE or better, and huge majority of drivers will never or seldom go out of range for sustained period… just blips. So, those of us who do long drives in desolation will need to realize we are not the market force and make do with art-less USB. Not that
Yeah, I’ve done that drive. Reality is that I’ll bet 99% of fleet miles are in LTE or better, and huge majority of drivers will never or seldom go out of range for sustained period… just blips. So, those of us who do long drives in desolation will need to realize we are not the market force and make do with art-less USB. Not that bad😇

Last edited:
Not that bad😇
How about a Media Player that picks up where it left off ten times out of ten, rather than 7 out of 10? How about a Media Player that correctly shuffle-plays? How about a Media Player that knows about and uses Replay Gain? How about playlists?
None of this is rocket science, or even invented in this century. All of this is expected in any Media Player. The first two are, for me, minor irritations that happen way too often, and become a moderate irritation at least partially because I know that it’d only take a couple of days to find and fix them.

The more I think about this, the more I think it may never be fully restored to the way it was. Back in the day when album art showed in USB index, favorites, and now playing… it is highly probable that entire USB directory with album art was stored on EMMC. When EMMC was demonstrated a durability flaw in MCU and became a liability, Tesla reduced as much MCU flogging as possible, including USB album art.

other audio sources (streaming, Bluetooth) only require art to be downloaded for now playing and stored for recents or favorites. Not indexed in car’s storage.

rumors I believe to be true indicate Tesla is working on Tidal and other hifi streaming. I understand this priority, having gone to tidal for 99% of my listening…. More CD quality music than I could ever buy and rip.

yes they could “easily” fix USB now playing, favorites and recents. But the index is more work.

and, 90+% of owners don’t use USB. When there are hifi streaming options, that will go even higher, including yours truly.

so, why do half assed fix of a really makeshift 1990s USB code base when the hifi replacement is around the corner?

I don’t like it but I get it, and since I’m not don quiote, I’m wasting my energy rooting for tidal.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jejunjm
The likelihood of being able to use this in your car is very slim. Even if you get it on your phone, there is no way to get a high quality signal to the Tesla: the Bluetooth in the car doesn't include the ability to stream high quality and Tesla has shown zero interest in having AA/CP.
They did improve the Bluetooth audio with the release of v10 by upping the sampling rate to 48khz. I do not use bluetooth audio so I honestly can't say for sure how much of an improvement this gives. Any high quality music I play (FLAC from SACD rips) are played via USB. v10 also gave us Spotify Premium so it is very interesting to see what they will offer to the media player when v11 is released.

They did improve the Bluetooth audio with the release of v10 by upping the sampling rate to 48khz.
I am far from an expert on this, but I thought there was a hardware limitation as to how far the Tesla BT could go. I thought I read a discussion here a while back, but I wouldn't know what terms to start searching for.

So, I guess this post is pointless.o_O

The album art is not really the issue for me, it is having to tap on the usb icon then pick thru if I want artist or album, then tap on that then select the song and tap on that all while driving which is dangerous. With the album art showing all you select is the album you want and just tap on the album and your done.
The album art is an issue for me, but I agree, losing USB music in "Recents" was also disheartening, and yes, dangerous when fumbling around on the screen to bring it up with several taps.

Like many on this thread, I have hope with every update that these bugs are fixed. That hope is gradually waning more and more with each update.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Nobleman
I would gladly go back to the previous version that still showed album art. I'm not even sure what these last updates did or are doing besides changing the font size on the range display and move the speed limit sign around on the main screen......

Album art was gone long before the font changes.
Font changes and rearranging are to better organize for the growing visualization display… for those with FSD… the rest of us wonder why. I’m schizo, have one FSD 3 and a pre AP S. Can see from both sides… now.