Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB thumb drives no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it must suck even more not enjoying that Reus system without the higher resolution USB interface. Still satisfied with it for the money spent for that system?
The problem back in 2013 was both the standard and upgraded systems were not very good, so I needed to do something to improve it. The Reus system is great, fast forward to my 2016 X and I purchased the upgraded system and it is very good so did not do the Reus in it. I’m not installing the latest update because I need my music.

Found the fix!!

(Well, it fixed the issue for me: 2020 MS LR+; I understand that some older MCUs may have different/additional issues)

I discovered, largely by accident with a few "test" thumb drives: whatever drive you have the "TeslaCam" folder in the root directory *must* be FAT32, as we know... and it will ignore any music on that same drive.

I put an additional thumb drive in (FAT32), the USB icon promptly appeared, and it read the music off that stick just fine. Now suspicious, I temporarily renamed the dash cam folder to "_TeslaCam"--the dash cam went away, and the USB icon appeared, with normal access to all music on that same drive (the exact stuff it "couldn't see" after the 2020.12.5 update).

Played around with a few options. Turns out it's happy as long as there are separate partitions/volumes involved. I'm now using the same physical thumb drive I had been using, re-partitioned to have a ~40GB volume for the music (and, it's perfectly happy with the exFAT format for the music, so I left it like that) and a ~210GB volume for the dash cam (FAT32 required).

Annoying (and pointless?) issue, but--not a terribly painful workaround, and should only have to be done once.

Hope this helps!

yeah the above "fix" does not apply to older MS/MX which do not have the built-in dashcam function (pre-Aug 2017 build).
No TeslaCam folder in such cars.

have FAT32 USB for years and working for music, until 2020.12.5 came out - the USB no longer even recognized or mounts. Tesla broke it somehow without thinking about older cars (or testing)

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
Yes, "USB doesn't work" takes on multiple meanings these days.

We should have a sub-forum named "software updates" where all Tesla's: Model S, X, 3 and now Y, soon to be Cybertruck, can all post numerous versions of updates and various iterations of features, bugs and issues....

oh wait, we do....

One exFAT single drive, single partition works fine for music in my MCU1 on 2020.12.10 without a Dashcams folder.

I know the USB is a mess - mine was broken for the last year - but if everyone would be specific in terminology and use case it would make following the thread so much easier.

Last edited:
One exFAT single drive, single partition works fine for music in my MCU1 on 2020.12.10 without a Dashcams folder.

I know the USB is a mess - mine was broken for the last year - but if everyone would be specific in terminology and use case it would make following the thread so much easier.

Good news for those of us still with 2020.12.5.
Currently, I’m unable to force an update as my car says it’s up to date. 2013 P85

I'm still on V8 and was considering updating to V10 in the next few days since Tesla said I'll lose connectivity on May 1st. Is this fixed now for MCU1? If not, I think I'll just accept losing connectivity and keep V8.

nope. USB music or connectivity is your choice. Unless you are lucky enough to update to something before 2020.12.5.
I was hoping for 2010.12.10 but as you can see on TeslaFi it didn’t go out to AP1 cars, and I am still waiting for the next update to fix it.

I wonder if it will take much longer to update your car?

IMG_8660.jpg

Completed the download of 2020.12.11.5 and the USB music access has been restored!

Reactions: dark cloud