Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the parking brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I routinely use the parking brake by pressing the right control stalk button, even on the flat. Is this actually necessary or is it just meant for parking on slopes? I don't wish to stress any components long term if it can be avoided

The problem with not pressing the Park button is that you get more irritating bin bong warnings when you unfasten your seatbelt ... and the car then applies Park for you anyway as you open the door of course.

I rolled to a stop on the drive when returning home on Friday evening, was a bit late in pressing the park button, and experienced the bing bongs, warning message and the automatic application of the parking brake. It was a useful reminder to press the park button more promptly in future, as there's something about the bing bong noises that makes me feel as if I've just been given a bollocking by the car . . .

Interesting I've never thought of it as a park button more a neutral button... but I guess it's just terminology. I press it without thinking just as I wouldn't leave an ICE in gear.

I've heard there was a difference in long press too but never worked out what it was - looks the same to me.

Anyone accidentally pressed the park button instead of the windscreen washer button? :rolleyes: I did this yesterday, no idea why, thankfully I was just pulling away from the house. I stopped.

I do wonder what would happen if this schoolboy error occurred at 75mph on the motorway :eek:

Yes, the video in #9 shows that a long press on the park button produces a park brake icon on the screen.

But what does it mean? The Teslas always have some kind of parking brake on when they are parked. So what's the difference?

Can someone eplain what's actually going on in hardware here? Conventional parking brake was just a cable to the rear calipers/drum brakes.. Is the e-brake somehow different as in locking up the motor with reverse emf? if so how does it hold when parked? I don't see how otherwie this would help in a situation where say the master brake cylinder failed unless there's a secondary system actuating brake pads by solenoid.

Can someone eplain what's actually going on in hardware here? Conventional parking brake was just a cable to the rear calipers/drum brakes.. Is the e-brake somehow different as in locking up the motor with reverse emf? if so how does it hold when parked? I don't see how otherwie this would help in a situation where say the master brake cylinder failed unless there's a secondary system actuating brake pads by solenoid.

The parking brake is electrically operated, and is a friction brake like a hand or foot operated parking brake. You can just hear the electric motors whirr as it's applied sometimes.

I routinely use the parking brake by pressing the right control stalk button, even on the flat. Is this actually necessary or is it just meant for parking on slopes? I don't wish to stress any components long term if it can be avoided
Not an M3 presumably what you have, but on my MX I changed the behaviour from “creep at standstill”, much akin to a traditional auto setup, which required P brake to be applied when stopped - to the “non creep” mode which uses the hill hold function - the service brakes basically. I haven't gone back to creep.