Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulation for your video and particularly for your adapter shown at time 1:54. It looks quite more clever than all the other adapters made with a cable and two connectors.

I have actually moved to a different app that shows lots more data. Unfortunately it doesn't support the adapter I already have. It requires a much larger one that won't fit as nice as the one I have made. So basically I'm back to drawing board trying to come up with a solution.

Places where you can buy the pins and connector is linked in this thread. Just look through the first few pages.

I have actually moved to a different app that shows lots more data. Unfortunately it doesn't support the adapter I already have. It requires a much larger one that won't fit as nice as the one I have made. So basically I'm back to drawing board trying to come up with a solution.

Places where you can buy the pins and connector is linked in this thread. Just look through the first few pages.

What app are you using now?

Thanks David.
The app you used in your video is quite enough for me. If you don't use any longer the adapter shown in your video, I am quite ready to buy it. Could you sell it to me ? What terms ?

Thanks David.
The app you used in your video is quite enough for me. If you don't use any longer the adapter shown in your video, I am quite ready to buy it. Could you sell it to me ? What terms ?

I'm going to keep my self made adapter for now. It's not working with the new app but the developer said he might support the adapter later. If I can find a good solution for the new adapter I might sell it. I'll let you know.

I connected my ODBII to the adapter cable, but can't get TM-Spy to work on my Dec-2015 Model S 85D.

The ODBII dongle works fine on other cars (Audi Q2, VW Scirocco), using a Samsung J5 and the Torque app.

But on TM-Spy, it either:
1) Doesn't connect at all, or,
2) Alternates very rapidly between "Configure ELM 08" and "Connected".

Please find attached photos of the ODBII dongle + the TRC file.

Any help?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 20170917_221844 (Medium).jpg
    20170917_221844 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 179
  • 20170917_221901 (Medium).jpg
    20170917_221901 (Medium).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 172
  • TRC_1709172246.txt
    504.8 KB · Views: 82
Can anyone help by looking at the TLC file? I have no idea what to look for.

If it's my ODB reader that is incompatible, can you point to a cheap one that works well / gets the job done? (this is just for fun; no need to spend alot)

Why? The power draw is minuscule compared to the normal power draw of the car even when it sleeps. The data bus is always active so there is no reason not to read the data. Maybe I'm missing something.

Because,
Yes I am aware that the power draw is probably less than 100mA from the 12V battery and even less should the BT radio and the ELM knockoff is sleeping.
Yes the normal power draw of the car even when it pretends to be sleeping could be as high as 4A from the 12V battery from what I have heard reported on this site.
The car seems to sleep just like a cat with eye(s) half-open with half of their brain in hot active and the other half in cleansing mode.
Yes the CAN buses all 4-6 of them could be active and waiting for a passive ( ATMA) request which it not aware of, or a directed request . It may be aware of a directed request to a valid CAN ID.

Is the CAN Phy you are adding ARNIC compliant? Is it certified to be low EME and high EMI environment that hybrids and EVs could come with?
Are all other added components Automotive grade?
Is the board assembly coated with a RTV like over coat or preferably a polyester base coating? for environmental protection.

Are you prepared in case a CAN bus goes bad ( they do go bad ) and all the CAN interfaced packages on the bus 'BUSS OFF' due to high error counts ( not necessarily on the one you are connected on )?
This mode of failure on the CAN bus of my Prius caught me by surprise about a year ago in a Sams Club Parking Lot.

Good Luck,
Winston.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I have actually moved to a different app that shows lots more data. Unfortunately it doesn't support the adapter I already have. It requires a much larger one that won't fit as nice as the one I have made.

The ScanMyTesla app works with fast STN1110-based OBD adapters so you're seeing data updates much faster, but are you seeing values for items that TM-Spy doesn't display? Looking at the screen shots it doesn't appear to show any new types of data that TM-Spy doesn't show. OBDLink LX is available for $50 and says it sleeps when not in use to save power, which is nice. It doesn't sound like TM-Spy yet supports the OBDLink adapters but it would be a great addition.

The ScanMyTesla app works with fast STN1110-based OBD adapters so you're seeing data updates much faster, but are you seeing values for items that TM-Spy doesn't display? Looking at the screen shots it doesn't appear to show any new types of data that TM-Spy doesn't show. OBDLink LX is available for $50 and says it sleeps when not in use to save power, which is nice. It doesn't sound like TM-Spy yet supports the OBDLink adapters but it would be a great addition.

Scan My Tesla definitely shows more data. It's also incredibly fast in showing the data. Not all data comes at the same rate, though. I really like the way TM-Spy shows the balancing and temperature differences in the modules. But overall ScanMyTesla is my favorite.

Hi, @David99, how does this adapter connect to the TDC? I would like to hide the adapter and BT transmitter in the cubby.

I have an older car without the middle console. I can pull down the cubby and there is the cable end where I plug in my adapter. I made it so small enough that it fits even if I close the cubby. I'm not sure how it works on cars with the console.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Has anyone seen a CAN message that corresponds to locking the car? It would be nice to have that trigger a soft chirp so I can hear the car has locked after leaving it without turning to stare at it like an idiot. I don't have automatic locking and I've found about 1 in 10 times, pressing lock on the keyfob is not responded to even when standing right next to the car with no other electronics in the fob pocket. Changing fob batteries doesn't help (fobs were replaced as well due to high battery drain). I actually can't find anyone else complaining about that problem so maybe I should bug Tesla about it. It's been an issue since I got the car 2 years ago.