Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you looking for a way to display this data on your phone (like the graphs) or just any way to get the data (like from an ELM Trace debugging file?)

I don't have the first, but I can help with the second.
Indeed the 2nd would be sufficient. But I heard from another TMC member that the new extra bytes in this 0x0302 message ID is just total charge/discharge kWh counters and nothing specifically related to DC charging kWh counter...

Here's how I get the kWh counter by charging category from 0x0302 using TM-Spy (almost certainly not the most efficient/elegant way, but it works for me.)

Go to Settings and select Trace ELM at the bottom. Also, set the app to display the default screen if necessary (like you wanted to check the cell/brick voltage balance of the pack.)

Exit the app completely and restart.

Connect to the car and let the app run for several minutes.

Quit the app. Find the trace file. Android: /Device storage/TM-Spy/DEBUG_FILES/. ---- iOS: something about Dropbox - don't ask me.

The file is named TRC_xxxxx.txt (xxxxx is date and time)

Open file in text editor (WordPad works better than Notepad for me.)

Messages are in the right-hand column. Find ones starting with 302. You will want/need more than one.

Here are a couple from my car (from the same trace file):

30227150400237B1300
30227151400A0D60600

Notice the 8th character is 0 in the first and 1 in the second. This is the flag showing which category is reported in this message. On my car there are only 2 categories (so far?): 0 is DC and 1 is AC (or fast and slow, don't know for sure)

To get the kWh count, reverse the last four bytes of the message.

My first message becomes 00137B23. My second becomes 0006D6A0.

Convert from hexadecimal to decimal and divide by 1000.

First message: 1276.707 kWh DC
Second message: 448.160 kWh AC

Look through the trace file for a third (or more) categories. Sound off if you find one.

Here's how I get the kWh counter by charging category from 0x0302 using TM-Spy (almost certainly not the most efficient/elegant way, but it works for me.)

Go to Settings and select Trace ELM at the bottom. Also, set the app to display the default screen if necessary (like you wanted to check the cell/brick voltage balance of the pack.)

Quit the app. Find the trace file. Android: /Device storage/TM-Spy/DEBUG_FILES/. ---- iOS: something about Dropbox - don't ask me.

Messages are in the right-hand column. Find ones starting with 302. You will want/need more than one.

30227150400237B1300
30227151400A0D60600

Notice the 8th character is 0 in the first and 1 in the second. This is the flag showing which category is reported in this message. On my car there are only 2 categories (so far?): 0 is DC and 1 is AC (or fast and slow, don't know for sure)

Look through the trace file for a third (or more) categories. Sound off if you find one.
Thanks! Will definitely try to collect these TM-Spy logs and convert the bytes to interpret the data for my Model S.
So you've independently noticed the 2 different charge buckets/counters increase when you charge on AC vs DC?
I've logged 57k miles on my car, and by far the majority is AC charging (maybe ~5% DC charging), so I would expect my kWh numbers to be weighted much differently than yours... will report back! :)

30227150400237B1300
30227151400A0D60600

OK, something doesn't look right to me. The charged kWh I calculate from these numbers and your decoding algorithm are way (way) too low for a 57k miles car:
3025B470D004F680000 ("26.703 kWh")
3025C4B1D006DAA0300 ("240.237 kWh")

OK, something doesn't look right to me. The charged kWh I calculate from these numbers and your decoding algorithm are way (way) too low for a 57k miles car:
3025B470D004F680000 ("26.703 kWh")
3025C4B1D006DAA0300 ("240.237 kWh")
Well, I will withhold my skepticism for now! I was accidentally parsing an ELM trace file from 15 months ago for the above data.
From recent ELM trace data (as of today), the fields appear to have accumulated about as much as I would have expected in 15 months time since.
I will remeasure again once I complete my next AC & DC charging sessions to confirm the kWh numbers do indeed increment as expected; this would mean, however, that this AC vs DC kWh charging counter only appeared in my firmware around early 2016, and any kWh counters from 2013-2015 are not included in these message ID 0x0302 accumulations.

Is there a way to capture more than one packet type? I'd like to log 0x0102 to get battery amps and volts, plus another packet type to get MPH. With the two plus timestamps for the packets, I should be able to get a good 0-60 estimate. Is that possible?

Here is a video I made yesterday about using TM-Spy.

Congratulation for your video and particularly for your adapter shown at time 1:54. It looks quite more clever than all the other adapters made with a cable and two connectors.

I intend to make by myself two adapters like yours :

- one for my Model S P85 I am using from September 2013

- one for the Model S 100D which a friend of mine will receive this month (September 2017).

I guess I need :

- one 12-pin connector matching the Tesla Diagnostic Connector of my Model S P85

- one 16-pin connector matching the Tesla Diagnostic Connector of the new Model S 100D

- a batch of pins 571-173630-6

- two dongles Bluetooth 4.0 LE

- two casings.

Could you please :

- give me the links to the websites where I could buy those pieces ?

- tell me how to secure the parts in the casing so that it could be easily plugged into the TDC

Many thanks in advance for your help and best regards,