Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen a CAN message that corresponds to locking the car? It would be nice to have that trigger a soft chirp so I can hear the car has locked after leaving it without turning to stare at it like an idiot. I don't have automatic locking and I've found about 1 in 10 times, pressing lock on the keyfob is not responded to even when standing right next to the car with no other electronics in the fob pocket. Changing fob batteries doesn't help (fobs were replaced as well due to high battery drain). I actually can't find anyone else complaining about that problem so maybe I should bug Tesla about it. It's been an issue since I got the car 2 years ago.

I'm sure there is a way to query if the car is locked. I don't know how to, though. I share your problem though! I have been turning on 'fold mirrors' when parked so when the mirrors fold I know the car locks. I have auto-lock on walk away which seems to be the safest thing. Even if I forget to lock it it will lock itself. The only reason it might not lock is if you forget your key in the car or if any of the doors are not closed all the way.

I'm sure there is a way to query if the car is locked. I don't know how to, though. I share your problem though! I have been turning on 'fold mirrors' when parked so when the mirrors fold I know the car locks. I have auto-lock on walk away which seems to be the safest thing. Even if I forget to lock it it will lock itself. The only reason it might not lock is if you forget your key in the car or if any of the doors are not closed all the way.
Looking at the specs for the cable, you have to say which of three CAN connections you want. Would things like the door lock commands perhaps be on ‘another’ bus than the battery info? I have no idea what’s on which but was just wondering if that would come into play here...

Looking at the specs for the cable, you have to say which of three CAN connections you want. Would things like the door lock commands perhaps be on ‘another’ bus than the battery info? I have no idea what’s on which but was just wondering if that would come into play here...

I honestly have no clue. I'm jsut a user when it comes to these things.

Anybody tried this app using the dongle from fleetcarma? Charge the North | A FleetCarma Initiative
You didn't point to a specific page so it is hard to know what you are asking. You can't use a normal dongle on the gov required OBDII port. You need a special cable.

Did you see that on a *specific* page on the FleetCarma site?

+ Can I still use the device without an OBD port?
Yes. For Teslas and other vehicles with alternative OBD setups, the C2 device is installed in a proprietary diagnostics connector using a supplied adaptor cable.

[update]
Found setup page at FleetCarma and they have a 2nd / separate video for the Tesla S/X. Charge the North | Setup. I don't know if this works with other software tools tho. Sorry for my confusion.
[/update]

Last edited:
Just started playing with this recently and have a question regarding the cells display. See my results for a 2017 S75 battery pack. There appears to be an anomaly on block #84. I guess 85kW packs have 96 blocks but 75kW packs only have 84? Does the application take that into account or do I really have an abnormal situation? Despite the abnormality, the program is reporting a discrepancy of only 4mV, meaning it's ignoring that anomaly? For the record, I get the same reading in both the Android as well as iOS application and also in that "other" program.

Curious to see what other 75kW pack owners are seeing....

Screenshot_2018-01-14-11-51-25.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: N..8 and scottf200
Just started playing with this recently and have a question regarding the cells display. See my results for a 2017 S75 battery pack. There appears to be an anomaly on block #84. I guess 85kW packs have 96 blocks but 75kW packs only have 84? Does the application take that into account or do I really have an abnormal situation? Despite the abnormality, the program is reporting a discrepancy of only 4mV, meaning it's ignoring that anomaly? For the record, I get the same reading in both the Android as well as iOS application and also in that "other" program.

Curious to see what other 75kW pack owners are seeing....

View attachment 273272
Can't comment on anomaly, but I believe 75 packs have 74 parallel, 6 series as a module, and 14 modules make a pack. Thus, the number of groups is 6x14=84. 85 or 90 packs are 74P 6S 16S, and 100 packs are 86P 6S 16S.

Bad frames ?
I get only 46% good frames (TM-Spy), using Maxwell Automotive Technologies cable + BT OBDII dongle.

What can cause such poor reliability ? - too long cable , the OBDII dongle, or .. ?

I had the same problem until I replaced my BT OBDII dongle. Some dongles are better than others and many cheap ones cannot handle the higher rate and drops many frames.

care to share which one gave you trouble and which one your using now?
I don't want to post the troublesome one as it works ok for other apps, but here the picture of the one that seems to work well in applications that requires faster reads... It's still a cheap chinese unit and I don't know if multiple companies make units that look alike, but this is the unit I bought from Amazon.

41++oq3zuTL.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I finally got Tm-Spy to work with my 85D!
Coincidentally, it didn't work with an adapter that looks just like the one Speedy posted above (see my post #409), but is working now with the one:
41d+oWWN0VL._SX90_.jpg

Three questions regarding the data I'm getting:
Screenshot_20180118-200335.jpg

1) What do the numbers 81.7 and 83.2 mean? (circled in red)

2) Interrelated questions: what's the difference between Total Discharge and Total Charge (what are the "losses" between the 2?), and where is Total Charge measured? Before or after the onboard charger?

3) Maybe this as been widely discussed, but correct me if I'm wrong: for the car's Trip Meter to represent the effective consumption&cost (like on ICE cars), the consumption should be calculated as "Total Charge" / "KM".
In my war, that would be 22624/66241*1000 = 341 Wh/KM, which is a lot higher than the ~230 Wh/KM that I'm typical shown by the Trip Meter that, as far as I know, doesn't take into consideration (i) conversion losses, (ii) discharge losses, (iii) vampire drains (iv) consumption of some onboard electrical equipment (?) and who knows what else.

I finally got Tm-Spy to work with my 85D!
Coincidentally, it didn't work with an adapter that looks just like the one Speedy posted above (see my post #409), but is working now with the one:
So, just out of interest, this is how the inside of my OBD dongle looks like. The top cap pops off easily. Does your's look the same or is it different? Just curious if there are different innards for the same outside package and label...

IMG_9836.JPG