Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unclear what you're wanting technical details which you don't give examples of and the 'x issue' fixed have in common? Unclear if you want Tesla support to field all the question and confusion on this? Hey, it is part of the UI it must be explained idea.
Ok, I can see you are just trying to be condescending which is fine.
I've read over what the apps show and some of it would be interesting to see (would you like specifics or can we accept I've actually read over the CAN docs they publish, most isn't official from Tesla so accuracy isn't a given).

How does that help the mass population of Tesla owners?
It doesn't, but then how does fart noises, fireplaces, dog mode, sentry mode (on select build dates only) help the mass population of Tesla owners if that is your rationale for them having to be working on something?

What good is it for the majority of normal owners besides some novelties?
See above, they are very good at novelties.

Why should Tesla spend time on such a UI and then get demands that it is in the UI so it must be documented (also regulations on this in some areas/countries?)?
Well in my old car I could go in to what they called track mode which showed G forces, a variety of engine data ranging from airflow, spark timing, torque, various temp sensors. If I am ever at the dealership again I'll ask them how many phone calls they got asking what it all meant.

I pointed out scan my Tesla (AND TM spy of course) and there are other ways people can get the details. Data geeks should use those and not force Tesla to spend resources on geek owners but worry about future profits and future cars to the masses.
Sorry but when they can find the time to ignore or seem incapable of fixing operational shortcomings in the MCU (you know what they are, they are plastered all over this forum) for those novelty items I mentioned above then surely enabling some of the engineering screens for us 'geeks' which are already there hidden wouldn't be such a big deal would it?
Tesla Model S Service Screens Exposed | CleanTechnica

Reactions: vdiv
Ok, I can see you are just trying to be condescending which is fine.
I've read over what the apps show and some of it would be interesting to see (would you like specifics or can we accept I've actually read over the CAN docs they publish, most isn't official from Tesla so accuracy isn't a given).
It doesn't, but then how does fart noises, fireplaces, dog mode, sentry mode (on select build dates only) help the mass population of Tesla owners if that is your rationale for them having to be working on something?
See above, they are very good at novelties.
Well in my old car I could go in to what they called track mode which showed G forces, a variety of engine data ranging from airflow, spark timing, torque, various temp sensors. If I am ever at the dealership again I'll ask them how many phone calls they got asking what it all meant.
Sorry but when they can find the time to ignore or seem incapable of fixing operational shortcomings in the MCU (you know what they are, they are plastered all over this forum) for those novelty items I mentioned above then surely enabling some of the engineering screens for us 'geeks' which are already there hidden wouldn't be such a big deal would it?
Tesla Model S Service Screens Exposed | CleanTechnica
First off let me apologize for how I came off. You have fairly reasonable responses and you were considerate in doing so.

I suspect that the novelity apps (noises, fireplaces) were done but newer hires.
I don't think you can argue that dog mode and sentry mode are remotely in the same vain as those apps. Genuine request for dog mode and demonstrate unique abilities of Tesla to response with OTAs. Sentry mode certainly has a place if you had heard about the huge number of break-ins in some places in California on the rear small windows.

I could see track mode options on your gas car as those are things that you can tweak with custom firmware and racers have been doing that for many years. I don't see the parallel to the technical details in the Tesla.
Any specific data you want that allow you to constructively do something with? Scan My Tesla/SMT data: Scan My Tesla readings Their Vendor page on TMC: Scan My Tesla: A CANBUS reader for Android

In the end, I do think they could make a 'simplified' end-user technical details screen but not sure how much they want to expose. For example all the battery cell data? Do you want paranoid users to monitor that from day one and compare to dozens of other users then hire a lawyer to have Tesla replace there pack if they are a little below average? I have TM Spy and Scan My Tesla. SMT has a ton of data but most of it is a novelty. This wears off (just like looking at 'airflow, spark timing'). There would have to be something pretty specific you are chasing down.

BTW, I can think of a few more geeky end user things I'd like. Better state, past X minutes of cellular reception and speed (especially on my roadtrips knowing if that is the reason for some slow (or no) map updates), more details on bluetooth connectivity and a reset/retry, more details (range, strength) on garage door open/close homelink (I've seen odd behavior), wifi details/speed. Graphs of internal temp and sensors and HVAC system (i.e. auto doesn't keep front window clear at certain temps). Map and GPS details. Speedlimit sign last update for that tile area I'm in. Othes but that is off the top of my head. These more user interaction things. Perhaps some battery cooling if I'm on a roadtrip and supercharging and want to know why my kW charging is not where I'd expect (ie. system tell me it is because it is cooling the overheated battery, etc).

Last edited:
Because,
Yes I am aware that the power draw is probably less than 100mA from the 12V battery and even less should the BT radio and the ELM knockoff is sleeping.
Yes the normal power draw of the car even when it pretends to be sleeping could be as high as 4A from the 12V battery from what I have heard reported on this site.
The car seems to sleep just like a cat with eye(s) half-open with half of their brain in hot active and the other half in cleansing mode.
Yes the CAN buses all 4-6 of them could be active and waiting for a passive ( ATMA) request which it not aware of, or a directed request . It may be aware of a directed request to a valid CAN ID.

Is the CAN Phy you are adding ARNIC compliant? Is it certified to be low EME and high EMI environment that hybrids and EVs could come with?
Are all other added components Automotive grade?
Is the board assembly coated with a RTV like over coat or preferably a polyester base coating? for environmental protection.

Are you prepared in case a CAN bus goes bad ( they do go bad ) and all the CAN interfaced packages on the bus 'BUSS OFF' due to high error counts ( not necessarily on the one you are connected on )?
This mode of failure on the CAN bus of my Prius caught me by surprise about a year ago in a Sams Club Parking Lot.

Good Luck,
Winston.

I have kept the adapter plugged in all the time for 3 years now. So have many other people in their cars. Not a single issue or anyone reporting any CAN bus issues. I think it's safe to say, keeping it in your car all the time is perfectly fine.

Hello all,

can someone tell me where I can get more information about the readings on my model S 85 data.

I read the

SOC
SOC Min
And
SOC UI

there are very different readings between them. On lower state sometimes the difference can up too 10%!!

Attachments

• 69219F6E-8D44-4FC1-8B6C-BF40601C5B43.jpeg
    69219F6E-8D44-4FC1-8B6C-BF40601C5B43.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 159
I didn't want to leave the ODBII adaptor installed all the time and I also didn't want to have to remove the cubby every time I wanted to capture data. I was able to attach the cable and re-install the cubby without any modification and it came out pretty clean!

I have a 2013 P85, so I bought the "old" cable from Maxwell Auto Technologies and this LELINK adaptor from Amazon.

1. Remove the cubby to access the diagnostic cable area.
  2. Route the adaptor cable behind and under the left side "U" shaped hole.
  3. Push the end of the cable up and behind the "U" hole
  4. Pull it though the "U" hole and attach to the diagnostic cable, then tuck it back into the "U" hole.
  5. Route the adaptor cable to the left as you re-install the cubby.
  6. Done!
all.jpg

The cable will fit between the console and the cubby too, but I wanted to be sure it stays in place. I keep a folded micro fiber towel in the cubby for cleaning the screen which doubles as something to keep the cable in place. :D

What does this number “Max Discharge” mean? When charged to 100%, I get the number in the screenshot.
After driving down to 90%, it dropped to 442. At 80%, it was 431.
I assume this is a “software” limit for the battery max output, rather than a measured/actual maximum output?
926AED34-5820-42CF-B1D9-C066660360B5.jpeg

Does anyone with a P85DL get a different value at 100% SoC?
I would assume P90DL and P100DL would have higher “Max Discharge” numbers?

I' talking about the canbus cable not charging cable. I'm seeing online different numbers of pins, 20, 12 etc...
@islandbayy, it's a different cable for the pre-Sep 2015 cars per this post. I have a Feb 2016 MS and my cable wasn't able to connect/scan a 2014 MS. See if @Chris TX still has a cable available or can make one for you.

Reactions: islandbayy