Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P100D used to be about $280K AUD on road (about $190K USD), that is why we get so peed off when things don't work.

Even if you pay $10K for a car, you should be able to listen to your music and the music should resume when you get in the car. Playing the music you own is really the most basic feature you can have in a car.

I used to own a 2007 Mercedes E550 (it was a super awesome car to own) with an ancient version of Mercedes' Command interface. In 2007, for all the antiquated Mercedes technology in that car, it could play my entire 220GB lossless music collection and resume music playback flawlessly and instantly via the iPod interface.

It's quite puzzling how my car from the future is having such a hard time resuming music when even a 2007 Mercedes E Class could do this flawlessly with the exact same music collection.

It's quite puzzling how my car from the future is having such a hard time playing a cassette when even a 2007 Mercedes E Class could do this flawlessly with the exact same music collection.

FTFY^..

Playing downloaded music is a thing of the past... just like there are almost no offline cell phone games anymore... for better or for worse the future is streaming

Now a PLEX app.. that is something I could go for!

• Disagree
Reactions: bay74 and ucmndd
FTFY^..

Playing downloaded music is a thing of the past... just like there are almost no offline cell phone games anymore... for better or for worse the future is streaming

Is that what they told you about the "future?" :p You do realize that just about every streaming service offers a download option because many people have lives that are not dictated by where there is 4G coverage, right?

Where I come from, in the "future," you can listen to your music in peace and the car will resume playing your music when you get back in the car, the same way it used to work in the past. There's no reason for the future to be crappier than the past when it comes to listening to music in the car.

I could not care less about cellphone games or how the "future is streaming." I'd just like to be able to listen to music in my car.

There is a time and a place for everything. I love my Spotify subscription and use my Plex server often but it is super important when I'm on a road trip that I can listen to my own music reliably.

Last edited:
Is that what they told you about the "future?" :p You do realize that just about every streaming service offers a download option because many people have lives that are not dictated by where there is 4G coverage, right?

Where I come from, in the "future," you can listen to your music in peace and the car will resume playing your music when you get back in the car, the same way it used to work in the past. There's no reason for the future to be crappier than the past when it comes to listening to music in the car.

I could not care less about cellphone games or how the "future is streaming." I'd just like to be able to listen to music in my car.

I also buy and download my music. This is especially great when I'm on a flight or traveling, as I have my entire music collection with me wherever I go. It takes just about half an hour of driving for me to be in areas with sporadic 4G coverage so this notion that streaming music is what everyone should get used to is pointless when oftentimes I have poor 4G coverage when I drive and go on road trips.

I use streaming services, like people used to listen to radio and that is to find new music. When I find songs I like, I usually buy them and add them to my collection.

As an added benefit I get to listen to my music in better quality than streaming with unreliable coverage.

FTFY^..

The future also has streaming of lossless audio, which is impossible with Tesla, since there is no aux in, no lossless bluetooth codec, nor any app integrated into the MCU that provides lossless sound - except USB.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The future also has streaming of lossless audio, which is impossible with Tesla, since there is no aux in, no lossless bluetooth codec, nor any app integrated into the MCU that provides lossless sound - except USB.

I agree. Which makes reliably playing USB music all the more important as that's how many of us listen to quality audio in our cars...

but it is super important when I'm on a road trip that I can listen to my own music reliably.

Then do what practically everyone else does and stream it from your phone or any other device via Bluetooth. No cellular connection required - I have 90 gigs of 320kbps MP3s on my phone. What you mean to say is it’s super important you’re able to do it the one way you’ve decided you want to, not any of the other acceptable and working ways that exist to solve the same problem.

On a similar topic, interesting news today about the Taycan, with built in Apple Music and CarPlay support - maybe that will be enough to light a fire under Tesla about their media experience.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/19/apple-music-porsche-taycan/

No word yet on whether or not the Taycan plans to support 8-Track.

Last edited:
I agree. Which makes reliably playing USB music all the more important as that's how many of us listen to quality audio in our cars...

On the plus side, when the music player starts playing music, it continues to play music just fine.

If they can get the scanning/indexing issue under control and resume the track that was last playing this will solve most of the issues people are having so the fix can't be that complicated. I have a feeling that if they can stop the needless scanning/indexing, that will make it easier to resume music playback because currently the indexing seem to get in the way of music resuming.

The music resuming is not just a USB music issue though, as it affects other sources as well. The music player in general needs to remember what was last playing for each of the audio sources so it can resume what was last playing.

Reactions: DCEV

Cassettes are a thing of the past, yes. Cassettes ruled the 1980s.

Compact Discs aren't even a thing of the past yet, given roughly 30 million were sold in 2018 in the United States alone, and that's a 35-year-old physical format. A Mercedes S-class doesn't have a CD player standard, but it is an option. Compact Discs ruled the 1990s.

Local digital music first started appearing in the mid-90s, but it wasn't commercially widespread for about another decade. The generation that was cultivating music collections in CD and during the transition to this new digital format (my generation) still values it. Digital music is what drove the concept of "large" music collections, since it removed the physical size limitations, as well as the legal acquisition limitations. MP3 (or digital music in general) ruled the 2000s.

It is the following generation that started moving away from local persistence. This was the first "always connected" generation that grew up with ubiquitious Internet and cell phone access...pretty much people under 30.

Is streaming the future? Absolutely. It's no secret that the main target consumer demographic for music is generally people under 30. That's been true through all these decades and generations.

Now consider what the average age of a Tesla owner was prior to the Model 3...somewhere in the 50-55 range. That's a group of people that were cultivating music collections during the cassette era...and transitioned to CDs somewhere along the way. This group, in general, was not quick (or even mainstream) in adopting digital music, much less streaming-only services. I wouldn't be surprised if a large amount of people in the 50-55 age range have never collected music in a digital format.

Reactions: gt2690b
Has anyone had their music resume automatically after the few minutes it takes for the media player to scan the music drive?

This happened to me once where the music resumed automatically after a recent software update but sine then the music has never resumed playback after the media player needlessly scans the USB drive.

Unfortunately, we've not had the media player ever resume music after it is done with the several minutes long loading/re-scanning subroutine when we get back in the car.

This is the first thing I check whenever I get a software update and I hope Version 10 or an upcoming update before Version 10 fixes the music player so it fixes some of the lingering bugs for USB and other music sources.

Resuming music should be reliable for each of the music sources, including USB.

Music resuming IS reliable (including USB), provided 2 conditions:
1) you must have MCU1 (MCU2 is problematic with USB)
2) you must prevent your car from going into SLEEP mode.

Those are two big conditions though.

Option 1 is not viable for people with MCU 2.0 and even for MCU 1.0 folks, it's not such a good solution to not let the car sleep :(

I wish they made whoever was responsible for the media player, actually use the media player so they understand how frustrating it is for the music player to not resume music and have to click through music menus while you are driving.

Yes, it looks like they tested it in an old car with MCU1 and skipped re-testing it on MCU2.

regarding sleep: why is it not good to keep the car always awake? Mine has never slept since I bought it 2 years ago.

What do you mean by sleep? Do you mean the low power state the car goes to when it has not been used in a while or do you mean when it goes into deep sleep after an extended period of time? I would like the car to go to sleep when it is not being used so it does not needlessly waste energy.

I have the reloading issue constantly with my MCU 2.0 car if I return to the car after a few hours.

BTW I have not changed any of the default sleep settings with the car.

I agree with your theory that they perhaps fixed and tested the music loading/indexing issue with MCU 1.0 but not with MCU 2.0. If that's the case, that's great news because it means someone is working to fix the music player.

Personally, more “driving “ functionality would suit me. Recognition of stop signs/lights, better FSD, better summon, better mapping, better Sentry function, unlocking performance torque for buyers, yadda, yadda. I don’t play games and I’m not interested in “caraoke”, chess or mars scapes (though, it is cool). Give me something that’ll make me tell someone, “My car drove me to work and I never worried at all!”, statement. THAT is what we should pine for!

Reactions: kavyboy
Spotify isn't perfect either (MCU2). I had a track paused from yesterday, and it resumed a completely different track. It seemed to skip tracks until it gained connection.
To Tesla's "defense" I went from local wifi to LTE when resuming on my way out of my driveway, but that is a bug.

Does the USB player pull album art from the cloud?

Spotify isn't perfect either (MCU2). I had a track paused from yesterday, and it resumed a completely different track. It seemed to skip tracks until it gained connection.
To Tesla's "defense" I went from local wifi to LTE when resuming on my way out of my driveway, but that is a bug.

Does the USB player pull album art from the cloud?

After that one time, my music no longer resumes after the music plays scans ("Loads") the music. Not sure why the music resumed after scanning that one time. I'm back to waiting about 3 minutes each time I get in my car before I can play/resume music :(