TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

V10 on MCU1

Discussion in 'Model S' started by by74, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

displaying video from a direct input (for example the rear backup cam) has next to nothing in common with the streaming and decoding of a web based video service like Netflix.

My understanding of Netflix “apps” these days (and YouTube, etc) is they are basically HTML5 portals that use a browser engine behind the scenes to run. As we know, the browser on MCU1 is ancient, completely unusable and not capable of serving this purpose.

It may be hypothetically possible if Tesla wanted to custom develop a native thick client for ARM-based processors like the MCU1 Tegra 3. Spoiler alert: they don’t.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Also, legit lol’d that the footage they used in that video for smart summon shows the car driving the WRONG WAY down a one-way parking aisle.

• Like x 3
  3. shanelord

shanelord Member

This just proves that an MCU1-MCU2 upgrade now needs to be offered (as Elon promised it would). I have 2-3 years left on my Model S 75D AP2.0 FSD car, and it seems us AP2.0 MCU1 cars are the forgotten generation - even though we were the first to get all the "new" hardware we've gotten none of the benefits.

I'm happy to pay for an MCU2 upgrade alongside my HW3.0 upgrade.

• Like x 18
    • Love x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Subgdubb

Subgdubb Member

[App][Browser] Chromium browser optimized for Tegra 2

• Helpful x 2
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

This has been beaten to death in two other threads:
    MCU2 - Retrofit
    Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Tesla wants you to buy a new car over offering a MCU2 retrofit for a small subset of the user base. The vast majority of actual owners likely don't know/don't care about MCU1/MCU2. Heck most people I run into at supercharges have no clue about stall pairing*

*edit: Two weeks ago I was driving north on the NJ Turnpike and stopped at the NB SC which has four stalls.. for the first time I've ever seen there they were all full! And there was a Model 3 waiting in front of me. I waited for about 5 minutes and decided to go north to the Woodbridge, NJ SC with 8 stalls. The Model 3 followed me, but somehow got to the Woodbridge SC right in front of me.. there were only THREE stalls open.. 1A, 1B, and 2A... guess which stall he chose? That's right, 2A... leaving me to 1A to get the entire allocation of that pair while he was paired with the Model X on 2B.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. croman

croman Active Member

Yup my phone. Seriously though I guess I need to draft these posts better. Phone is great for wasting time but not anything productive.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. croman

croman Active Member

10.1 is out and actually going out. Let's see where the rabbit hole goes.

• Like x 1
  8. cybergates

cybergates Member

I just leave an old iPad permanently in the car (mcu1 model s) for Netflix while charging. I guess I will have to keep it there :/

• Like x 1
  9. by74

by74 Member

That’s quick lol

• Like x 1
  10. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Apparently all of the noobs lusting for v10 broke Teslafi by constantly refreshing the firmware page.

"Temporarily down due to high traffic."

lol

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

First time iv seen that lol!

12. kylelerner

kylelerner Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

14. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Did Tesla make a mistake?? It says you can send videos from mobile device to play on tesla Cinema

15. SO16

SO16 Active Member

most likely Tesla forgot to remove that line for MCU1.

• Like x 1
  16. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Watching videos only while parked and limited to streaming apps using WiFi isn't really that important.

If you're planning a road trip, since many people have tablets - that have more streaming apps and the ability to play stored videos (without requiring a network or WiFi), what might have been more useful was something like a Chromecast or the long promised screen mirroring capabilities, allowing the video to be transferred from a smartphone/mobile device to the console display and audio - and if that isn't available, then you can use (even before V10) a tablet with audio streamed to the car's Bluetooth, as long as the video player can adjust the timing of the audio (because the BT transfer introduces a delay).

• Like x 1
  17. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

#57 dark cloud, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    So far only AP 2.5 and AP 3 have received V10. We have a 2019.32.10.2 already. Might be a while until us MCU 1 get our Spotify, Joe mode and updated maps.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 5.17.54 AM.png

18. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Except guardian mode does not work at all on AP2.0!! Nilch, nada nothing, including v10 ( caveat, I have not seen 10.1 yet, but I've seen the other earlier v10's )

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Updated MAPs is independent of cid software version and a separate download. the map downloads are quite large and only done on WiFi.

• Informative x 1
  20. SO16

SO16 Active Member

I have HW 2.0, MCU 1 and FSD on my 2017 S90D.

Sentry mode (guardian?) flashes lights, shows Hal and notifies me but doesn’t record video to USB. I have 4 separate dashcams that have higher res anyway. Seems to be sufficient.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1