Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i saw full-screen video running on a root Model S years and years ago, so Netflix and Youtube should be possible.

displaying video from a direct input (for example the rear backup cam) has next to nothing in common with the streaming and decoding of a web based video service like Netflix.

My understanding of Netflix “apps” these days (and YouTube, etc) is they are basically HTML5 portals that use a browser engine behind the scenes to run. As we know, the browser on MCU1 is ancient, completely unusable and not capable of serving this purpose.

It may be hypothetically possible if Tesla wanted to custom develop a native thick client for ARM-based processors like the MCU1 Tegra 3. Spoiler alert: they don’t.

This just proves that an MCU1-MCU2 upgrade now needs to be offered (as Elon promised it would). I have 2-3 years left on my Model S 75D AP2.0 FSD car, and it seems us AP2.0 MCU1 cars are the forgotten generation - even though we were the first to get all the "new" hardware we've gotten none of the benefits.

I'm happy to pay for an MCU2 upgrade alongside my HW3.0 upgrade.

[App][Browser] Chromium browser optimized for Tegra 2

displaying video from a direct input (for example the rear backup cam) has next to nothing in common with the streaming and decoding of a web based video service like Netflix.

My understanding of Netflix “apps” these days (and YouTube, etc) is they are basically HTML5 portals that use a browser engine behind the scenes to run. As we know, the browser on MCU1 is ancient, completely unusable and not capable of serving this purpose.

It may be hypothetically possible if Tesla wanted to custom develop a native thick client for ARM-based processors like the MCU1 Tegra 3. Spoiler alert: they don’t.

• Helpful
Reactions: mahagala and croman
This just proves that an MCU1-MCU2 upgrade now needs to be offered

This has been beaten to death in two other threads:
MCU2 - Retrofit
Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Tesla wants you to buy a new car over offering a MCU2 retrofit for a small subset of the user base. The vast majority of actual owners likely don't know/don't care about MCU1/MCU2. Heck most people I run into at supercharges have no clue about stall pairing*

*edit: Two weeks ago I was driving north on the NJ Turnpike and stopped at the NB SC which has four stalls.. for the first time I've ever seen there they were all full! And there was a Model 3 waiting in front of me. I waited for about 5 minutes and decided to go north to the Woodbridge, NJ SC with 8 stalls. The Model 3 followed me, but somehow got to the Woodbridge SC right in front of me.. there were only THREE stalls open.. 1A, 1B, and 2A... guess which stall he chose? That's right, 2A... leaving me to 1A to get the entire allocation of that pair while he was paired with the Model X on 2B.

Watching videos only while parked and limited to streaming apps using WiFi isn't really that important.

If you're planning a road trip, since many people have tablets - that have more streaming apps and the ability to play stored videos (without requiring a network or WiFi), what might have been more useful was something like a Chromecast or the long promised screen mirroring capabilities, allowing the video to be transferred from a smartphone/mobile device to the console display and audio - and if that isn't available, then you can use (even before V10) a tablet with audio streamed to the car's Bluetooth, as long as the video player can adjust the timing of the audio (because the BT transfer introduces a delay).

Reactions: SO16
So far only AP 2.5 and AP 3 have received V10. We have a 2019.32.10.2 already. Might be a while until us MCU 1 get our Spotify, Joe mode and updated maps.
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 5.17.54 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
Except guardian mode does not work at all on AP2.0!! Nilch, nada nothing, including v10 ( caveat, I have not seen 10.1 yet, but I've seen the other earlier v10's )

I have HW 2.0, MCU 1 and FSD on my 2017 S90D.

Sentry mode (guardian?) flashes lights, shows Hal and notifies me but doesn’t record video to USB. I have 4 separate dashcams that have higher res anyway. Seems to be sufficient.