Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 release notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I tested this using several different address sources (and addresses) and, after some errors during a period something must’ve been going on with Tesla, it does seem to work intermittently. The car sometimes gets the address but then, somehow, finds multiple versions for me to select from. The fact that, when I send a route (incorrectly), Tesla nav creates a route with three turns and then gives up is different than what’s been reported by others saying the route just gets overridden by the nav so maybe it’s just my car.

Thanks or helping me figure that out.

You're more than welcome. I find that sharing the address from Google maps works almost every time. I'm guessing the address format between Google maps matches the in car nav which is also probably based on Google maps.

The one time it doesn't work is if the car doesn't have cellular connectivity/LTE when you get in the car, then I guess the format from google maps doesn't always match the format for the car's offline navigation system (sometimes it will complain about address not found and bring up a search dialog, with the address info filled out based on what was sent from the phone). I'm guessing they send the address to the car, but don't calculate the route until you get in the car (probably for possible traffic based routing), which is why it behaves differently when you get in the car without cellular connectivity.

This may have been covered already and if so I apologize for the clutter.

But can't I set my phone as hot spot and connect my M3 while supercharging to allow for you tube / netflix? I haven't tried to connect my M3 to my cell hot spot since I have wifi at home.

Any idea when this will be fully rolled out?

This may have been covered already and if so I apologize for the clutter.

But can't I set my phone as hot spot and connect my M3 while supercharging to allow for you tube / netflix? I haven't tried to connect my M3 to my cell hot spot since I have wifi at home.

Any idea when this will be fully rolled out?

Well, you can once you have the version of SW with youtube and netflix, yeah of course you can- the car doesn't care where the wifi comes from.

A lot of folks don't have unlimited phone data of course.

I can’t believe there aren’t more people excited about Joe Mode and are infact saying it’s a waste. The loud bings and bongs of AP are extremely annoying. Maybe it’s better with Enhanced AP or FSD but for regular AP passengers it makes for a very annoying experience.
Joe mode is most definitely the thing i am looking forward to the most.

Reactions: Charlan83 and JBT66
I can’t believe there aren’t more people excited about Joe Mode and are infact saying it’s a waste. The loud bings and bongs of AP are extremely annoying. Maybe it’s better with Enhanced AP or FSD but for regular AP passengers it makes for a very annoying experience.

Joe Mode is a perfect example of the advantages of Tesla's software approach to cars. In Tesla-land we take stuff like this for granted, because given the way Tesla works, this kind of improvement is rather trivial to accomplish as long as Elon hears the suggestion and agrees it's useful. I mean it's turning the volume down on beeps. How much code could that possibly take?

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, simple improvements like Joe Mode are what I expect from Tesla and a large part of why we own one (hopefully two). So I'm not blown away by the feature itself but I appreciate it - it's a part of the constant improvement and evolution that is Tesla.

While I despise the name "Joe Mode," when driving with non-Tesla folks, I hate the sounds when I engage/disengage Auto-Pilot and would love to make them more discrete.

Every law passed by your state congress is named after some person these days. Is every feature in a car going to be names after the twitter handle that first suggested it? WIll I ever be able to remember what everything does once they all have vanity names?

I want waypoints in navigation, is that going to be "Pull a PittCaleb" ? Call is something normal, such as Quiet Mode, how is that difficult?

Haha yes exactly. I am hoping this Joe Mode is just a way to have fun for now but in the actual implementation we can simply go in to the AP settings and slide a AP indicator volume toggle between Normal and Low.

While I despise the name "Joe Mode," when driving with non-Tesla folks, I hate the sounds when I engage/disengage Auto-Pilot and would love to make them more discrete.

Every law passed by your state congress is named after some person these days. Is every feature in a car going to be names after the twitter handle that first suggested it? WIll I ever be able to remember what everything does once they all have vanity names?

I want waypoints in navigation, is that going to be "Pull a PittCaleb" ? Call is something normal, such as Quiet Mode, how is that difficult?

Errr... Joe Mode is a 3 stooges reference...not named after a guy on twitter.

I bought my M3 because I wanted a safe, well-designed electric vehicle that would usher me into the (autonomous) driving future. I did not pay upwards of 60k for Netflix, games, and Caraoke. I understand that these may be nice addons and thrilling to some. I mean no disrespect. But it seems to me that going from version 9 to version 10 should focus on real operational improvements, rather than eye-candy, entertainment. I am eager for the enhancement of my M3 driving experience, rather than the enhancements to my entertainment while waiting for a charge.

So I am hopeful that the focus of the order of the release notes comments is not an indication of the priority given the later over the former. Let's hope it is a major operational upgrade.
I am all with you. There is so much work needed on the AP side and Tesla is struggling for its survival as company so it is rather bizarre to see their most significant upgrade yet focusing heavily on toys and entertainment. I think serious car buyers will look for the normal brands once they roll out electric models. Imaging being taken for a test drive and the sales guy shows of the careokee! I would be out of there in no time at all.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
I am all with you. There is so much work needed on the AP side and Tesla is struggling for its survival as company so it is rather bizarre to see their most significant upgrade yet focusing heavily on toys and entertainment. I think serious car buyers will look for the normal brands once they roll out electric models. Imaging being taken for a test drive and the sales guy shows of the careokee! I would be out of there in no time at all.
I know many people still don’t have v10, so maybe they are just going off the release notes, but AP continues to improve with each release and the latest update is no exception. Plenty of AP improvements in v10. And I, for one, appreciate that they add fun to the car so if a sales guy showed me Caraoke it wouldn’t bother me at all, but to each their own. I’m amazed that I can update my SW during lunch and have a better car when I’m done eating than I did before.

I'm pretty sure Tesla sales is not showing off Caraoke on a test drive to sell the car. They take the customer on a test drive and it's the instant torque and autopilot that convinces the customer to buy.

I am all with you. There is so much work needed on the AP side and Tesla is struggling for its survival as company so it is rather bizarre to see their most significant upgrade yet focusing heavily on toys and entertainment.

Yup - they have a significant revenue stream staring them in the face with premium connectivity subscriptions, and they are rolling out arcade games?

Tesla, please add way points (multi-stops) to navigation. Would be very helpful.

This and being able to either adjust global preferences on charge levels when reaching a charger or destination, or doing it per trip. There's a lot of times I'll specifically navigate to a supercharger so it will precondition the battery because I want to make sure I have a higher charge when I reach my destination. The Tesla nav things I'm find skipping the charger and getting to the destination, but maybe I want 30% or 40% instead of finding a charger in a busy city, etc. It's kind of an easy work around for me since the nav is so easy to input addresses and see routes, but I almost NEVER just depart with my final destination set in the nav because of this.

Yup - they have a significant revenue stream staring them in the face with premium connectivity subscriptions, and they are rolling out arcade games?

Honestly the revenue stream probably wasn't that large. is 600k cars all bought into it at $9.99/month it's really only $72 million a year, a drop in the bucket with their overall revenue. If they could just sell an extra 2,060 base Model 3's ($35k) then they would generate about the same revenue, and that would only be an extra ~175 cars a month nation wide. Profit wise I'm not sure which would be better... I have no idea what contract Tesla has for data services and if the $10/mo covers the data cost or just offsets enough expense that Tesla thinks it's worth allowing youtube and netflix and stuff. I could easily see people burning 50gig + from a couple hours of NetFlix... which might be like four supercharger stops a month or something.

Honestly the revenue stream probably wasn't that large. is 600k cars all bought into it at $9.99/month it's really only $72 million a year, a drop in the bucket with their overall revenue. If they could just sell an extra 2,060 base Model 3's ($35k) then they would generate about the same revenue, and that would only be an extra ~175 cars a month nation wide. Profit wise I'm not sure which would be better... I have no idea what contract Tesla has for data services and if the $10/mo covers the data cost or just offsets enough expense that Tesla thinks it's worth allowing youtube and netflix and stuff. I could easily see people burning 50gig + from a couple hours of NetFlix... which might be like four supercharger stops a month or something.

For a company that isn't profitable, 72 million is plenty.