Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you haven't figured out how things work at Tesla yet, let me enlighten you.
Elon takes the most optimistic estimate possible from anyone on the autopilot team. Sometimes he just sets hard deadlines and expects the team to meet them. To add pressure, Elon announces these fictitious dates to the world. When the date isn't met, he is irate at the team and strongly suggests they work the weekends until it is finished. I was told something like this from an autopilot employee.

Yes. So isn't it possible that Elon will make the AP team work weekends in order to push something out by Sept 22? If he can announce some new FSD feature at the shareholder meeting, he can use it to justify his optimistic FSD predictions?

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes. So isn't it possible that Elon will make the AP team work weekends in order to push something out by Sept 22? If he can announce some new FSD feature at the shareholder meeting, he can use it to justify his optimistic FSD predictions?
We typically here leaks from people doing NDA testing a minimum a month before a release and usually 4 months for a major release. I haven't heard anything yet. Since this is a major release, based on past history we are at least 4 months away or the NDA testers are unusually quiet.

I am basing my view from observing SpaceX since 2008
Elon takes the most optimistic estimate possible from anyone on the autopilot team.
True
Sometimes he just sets hard deadlines and expects the team to meet them.
True
To add pressure, Elon announces these fictitious dates to the world.
True
When the date isn't met, he is irate at the team and strongly suggests they work the weekends until it is finished.
This one is only half true.
Elon will get irate if issues were known to prevent meeting the deadline (or create a setback) were not brought up to him. So, he will take continual feedback from the team, you have to be willing to give the feedback and that feedback better not be BS.

A good example of this was on display recently with a Starship failure...
“We sent out a note to the team that this was badly designed, badly built, and badly checked,” he said. “That’s just a statement of fact. I met with the whole quality team, and I said, ‘Did you think that that thing was good?’ They said, ‘No.’ I told them that, in the future, you treat that rocket like it’s your baby, and you do not send it to the test site unless you think your baby’s going to be OK. They said that they did raise the concern to one of the engineers. But that engineer didn’t do anything. ‘OK,’ I said, ‘then you need to email me directly.’ Now they understand. If you email me directly, and if I buy off on the risk, then it’s OK. What’s not OK is they think that the weld is not good, they don’t tell me, they take it to the pad and blow it up. Now I have been clear. There’s plenty of forgiveness if you pass me the buck. There is no forgiveness if you don’t.”
Inside Elon Musk’s plan to build one Starship a week—and settle Mars

Last edited:
I am basing my view from observing SpaceX since 2008

True

True

True

This one is only half true.
Elon will get irate if issues were known to prevent meeting the deadline (or create a setback) were not brought up to him. So, he will take continual feedback from the team, you have to be willing to give the feedback and that feedback better not be BS.

A good example of this was on display recently with a Starship failure...
Inside Elon Musk’s plan to build one Starship a week—and settle Mars

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think a little weekend work is out of line from time to time :D

Are you even remotely aware of the dumpster fire that is MCU1 vehicles becoming bricked due to over-logging and other Tesla-created issue to include sourcing the cheapest supplier of eMMC's they could find?
But it’s becoming increasingly clear that the emmc problem is due to a faulty controller on the chip, not due to excessive writes. Admittedly excessive writing is certainly not good but the amount of writing has come down significantly since logging was reduced.

I’m not suggesting that the games don’t have a negative effect on the emmc due to less space being available for writes and rewrites, but there is no evidence that using space statically is contributing to these emmc failures.

If you have Games and other software components sitting in one storage areas why not move them around once in a while, this will preserve particular storage location. That way you are not constantly writing to the same location over and over?

If you have Games and other software components sitting in one storage areas why not move them around once in a while, this will preserve particular storage location. That way you are not constantly writing to the same location over and over?

That's wear leveling. See post 55 of this thread.

The notion that the addition of a few tiny games and party favors are responsible for noticeably accelerating the failure of the emmc or slowing down the performance of MCU1 is absurd.

I'm hoping for a better Spotify interface or other music choices like Pandora. I've been a Pandora subscriber since 2006, and I only got Spotify because it's supported by Tesla. Being able to confirm the highest bitrate available is being used would also be nice.

And enable suspension height changes and opening the sunroof via voice commands!

Reactions: laservet
Just checked when v10 was announced and it looks like it’s been nearly a year, in 2 days: Introducing Software Version 10.0

I think v11 will coincide with AP rewrite so I’m guessing it’ll be released in about a month.

Also, according to Elon at battery day, it looks like Tidal is coming. I don’t have a subscription but might be interesting for those who care about streaming audio quality

When new FSD features are released, TSLA can recognize more FSD revenue - typically we see the feature sets released in the third month of a quarter to assist with the bottom line. Appears that this release was intended for Q3, but was not ready in time and will be out in Q4 (December would be a good guess).. Due to not being able to recognize this revenue, we saw a EAP sale to help the bottom line at this line item

Another reason to purchase the $2500 optional Infotainment Ugrade Package.

I hope it requires MCU/2 because they shouldn’t be spending any more resources on EOL MCU/1 especially if the Infotainment Ugrade Package is available for all Model S/X.
I have the FSD computer 3.0 upgrade but not the MCU infotainment upgrade...besides seeing traffic cones on your display, why else would I need the infotainment upgrade as it relates to FSD comparability...anyone?

When new FSD features are released, TSLA can recognize more FSD revenue - typically we see the feature sets released in the third month of a quarter to assist with the bottom line. Appears that this release was intended for Q3, but was not ready in time and will be out in Q4 (December would be a good guess).. Due to not being able to recognize this revenue, we saw a EAP sale to help the bottom line at this line item
When Tesla can show 100s of Millions in revenue from Fiat, why would they care about small items like FSD

This may have already been covered so apologise if duplicate questions.
  1. Do we know if v11 is dependent on AP rewrite - specifically, if AP rewrite going to be delayed, it it likely to impact the release schedule of V11?
  2. How likely is it that v11 will include a UI rework like the Cybertruk?
Last year, as a new Tesla owner, I was rather disapointed when V10 came along as there was much hype about new features that didn't really materialise. Hopefully v11 really will be HUGE and not full of bloat.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing a more modern looking UI and AP rewrite is a must have.

Note: They aren't stopping support. I'm sure that MCU/1 will continue to get security patch releases... but new features, new investment should NOT happen on that old platform. It's 2012 tech, and it's stretched as far as can go. They will continue to support it from a security patch perspective, but all new investment into the "cool" stuff like v11 and the new turn signal repeater camera view will only be MCU/2.

BTW, with my late 2017 Model S, I decided 5 months ago to do the Infotainment Ugrade Package even though I'm still under warranty. It was the best $2500 I spent to date on my Model S.

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500
But Tesla promised FSD for people that purchased cars with MCU1 way back when. So... providing an option to purchase MCU2 doesn't really meet that requirement.

But Tesla promised FSD for people that purchased cars with MCU1 way back when. So... providing an option to purchase MCU2 doesn't really meet that requirement.
You are confusing MCU1-MCU2 with HW3 upgrades. MCU has nothing to do with FSD, only the visuals are different, but not the car actions.