Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Transition Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
allicons.jpg

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
Controls.jpg

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
acmini.jpg

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
mini lights.jpg

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
largeplayer.jpg

Mid:
midplayer.jpg

Mini:
miniplayer.jpg

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
wipers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it would be helpful if the battery state was in the spare space next to the distance and ETA so it was always visible
That is such a glaring oversight - there's a blank space that would be perfect, and arrival SOC is a critically-important piece of information that needs to be displayed continuously. Having to open the directions list and then scroll to the very bottom to see it is just ludicrous. To make things even worse, the directions list can only be collapsed from the first entry so it may be necessary to scroll up again to get rid of it. Hope Tesla can fix this one quickly.

Reactions: AustinPowers
How did you see that screen before? You had to swipe the card...now you just need to hit the car icon...what is the difference?
Actually in V10 it was an icon tap to open the card. However it was on the driving display within easy view and reach, and disappeared shortly afterwards on its own. In V11 the whole map is obscured just to view the wiper card, it's a longer stretch to change settings and the page has to be cleared manually. V11 is just a lot more work for an important control. V10 was an acceptable way to manage wipers; V11 is not.

That is such a glaring oversight - there's a blank space that would be perfect, and arrival SOC is a critically-important piece of information that needs to be displayed continuously. Having to open the directions list and then scroll to the very bottom to see it is just ludicrous. To make things even worse, the directions list can only be collapsed from the first entry so it may be necessary to scroll up again to get rid of it. Hope Tesla can fix this one quickly.
Why is it critical to see the amount of charge you have left inside the map when you have the battery % or miles remaining on the top left of the screen? It might be a nice to have but why is it critical?

Actually in V10 it was an icon tap to open the card. However it was on the driving display within easy view and reach, and disappeared shortly afterwards on its own. In V11 the whole map is obscured just to view the wiper card, it's a longer stretch to change settings and the page has to be cleared manually. V11 is just a lot more work for an important control. V10 was an acceptable way to manage wipers; V11 is not.
So all you need to know is if the wipers are on AUTO or OFF because if they were on any other setting the wipers would be moving right? So far all I have read is that the AUTO function is useless so I guess that just leaves OFF! You now KNOW it is OFF!

As for map being obscured...why do you need or want to see map for the 2 seconds it takes to see if your wipers are OFF? I find it odd that people who want to see if tires are at correct pressure or need to see if wipers are working (!) must also see the map at the same time! Concentrate on one thing, you'll perform better.

V11 being a lot more work? Laughable!

It's ARRIVAL SOC at the end of the current leg that I need to see, not current SOC.
But why is it critical? I can see how many miles it is to my destination and I can see how many miles I have left. What does it matter if I see I arrive with 12 or 24% charge? The vehicle will let you know if you need to adjust your driving to make it to the charger. I just would like to know why you think it critical given the ease of using what is there now? I am not saying it wont come back as you would like it but cant see why it is critical? Enlighten me.

The predicted SOC at arrival has, for me, always seemed the least reliable of all the predictors of remaining energy. I don't use it but it's still there. Whatever floats your EV.

I always hated the "cards" and why would I need the map 100% of the time, even when I don't need the map? True the map covered does not appeal to my obsessive-compulsive side but big so what? I find it likely that everybody likes what they like, likely for imperfect reasons, and they don't like when others don't like what they like and aren't like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasTezla
The predicted SOC at arrival has, for me, always seemed the least reliable of all the predictors of remaining energy. I don't use it but it's still there. Whatever floats your EV.

I always hated the "cards" and why would I need the map 100% of the time, even when I don't need the map? True the map covered does not appeal to my obsessive-compulsive side but big so what? I find it likely that everybody likes what they like, for imperfect reasons, and they don't like when others don't like what they like and aren't like them.
What about liking those things that others dislike when the people that liked the one who liked what the remaining folks liked about disliking things most people like? We mustn't forget those people...

Reactions: PACEMD

I always hated the "cards" and why would I need the map 100% of the time, even when I don't need the map? True the map covered does not appeal to my obsessive-compulsive side but big so what? I find it likely that everybody likes what they like, for imperfect reasons, and they don't like when others don't like what they like and aren't like them.
But surely its lethal to cover the map at the critical moment I need to check if my wipers are off?!! I would call NHTSA immediately as lives are at risk...

Reactions: PACEMD
So all you need to know is if the wipers are on AUTO or OFF because if they were on any other setting the wipers would be moving right? So far all I have read is that the AUTO function is useless so I guess that just leaves OFF! You now KNOW it is OFF!

As for map being obscured...why do you need or want to see map for the 2 seconds it takes to see if your wipers are OFF? I find it odd that people who want to see if tires are at correct pressure or need to see if wipers are working (!) must also see the map at the same time! Concentrate on one thing, you'll perform better.

V11 being a lot more work? Laughable!
Guess I'm just not smart enough to drive a Tesla! Seriously, I shouldn't have to follow a logic tree to figure out where my wipers are set. I use AUTO when I can, in order that I don't have to operate manually all the time. However, in mist or salt spray, wipers may not come on even in AUTO. Also, wiper setting persists from one drive and one driver to the next, and it's not something you pay attention to until you need them (unless they come on when you don't want them). Of course I can live without the map for a period of time, but was it really necessary to change the way it worked? I still contend that V10 was better than V11 for wiper management, and I'm not alone in that view.

But why is it critical? I can see how many miles it is to my destination and I can see how many miles I have left. What does it matter if I see I arrive with 12 or 24% charge? The vehicle will let you know if you need to adjust your driving to make it to the charger. I just would like to know why you think it critical given the ease of using what is there now? I am not saying it wont come back as you would like it but cant see why it is critical? Enlighten me.
Again, why do I have to do the math? The data is readily available onboard, it's just a matter of presenting it in a practical location. In fact it's already there at the bottom of the directions, and many have already commented that it's unnecessarily tedious to get to.

For a start, it's my preference to show battery state in % because the miles/km value is based on nominal performance and is not realistic for trip planning. Predicted charge at destination, however, is based on recent driving performance so that's the number I'm interested in. Yes, it can fluctuate a bit in either direction but I've found it's a reasonable estimate. Last night I was keeping a close eye on it because the prediction was around 5% and I had to decide whether to stop for a quick top-up. I prefer to keep up with traffic on the Interstate rather than driving with my hazard lights on in order to stretch my range to reach destination.

I’ve only taken a few long road trips, but I adjust my driving speed and sometimes which sc to go to based on that value. I can see early on if I’m going to be outside of my comfort zone or not.

When on a longer road trip, I’d like a way to pin/always see that #. And some way to light up SC near to the current planned one and see projected remaining change if I were to drive to one of those instead. I’d only want to see SC that I could reach.

I’ve seen swings in predicted SoC as high as +/- 8 between the start and end of a drive. I’d like to have it prominently displayed if I’m going to finish a drive at 18% or be squeaking in with 10% or less.

Reactions: TSLC
As for the wipers, another piece of anecdotal evidence from today. On perfectly dry conditions my wipers suddenly activated and went like crazy. They had completely smeared the windscreen before I could turn them off. I then had to spray the windscreen again to get rid of that and afterwards they still just wouldn't stop even after the windscreen was completely cleaned and dry again. In the end I had to manually switch them off completely. No matter whether V11, V10 or V whatever, the auto sensing wipers have been crappy from the beginning and from my experience are the crappiest of any car I have ever driven. Why Tesla didn't just buy a working third party auto sensing wiper module from a manufacturer who knows how to do it is beyond me.

As for the rest of V11, I have already explained why I hate it, and I do so more with every drive I have to take because with every drive I notice more things that don't work user friendly anymore. Lots of dead real estate on the screen while many important things are now missing (like the trip info tab or direct access to all the important functions that are now hidden away in some stupid sub menu). Without working voice commands it's a total nuisance. But those are another sore point Tesla just can't seem to get to work, unlike other manufacturers where you not only have far more functions voice controllable but where you can use normal language to access them faultlessly. Pitiful for a company that claims to be so competent in programming their own software.

Reactions: OxBrew and Sporty
I’ve seen swings in predicted SoC as high as +/- 8 between the start and end of a drive. I’d like to have it prominently displayed if I’m going to finish a drive at 18% or be squeaking in with 10% or less.
Did a 350 mi trip yesterday, and on one leg the arrival SOC fluctuated between 15% and 30%, ending up at 27%. It appeared that the hilly route, combined with changes in temperature and speed made it difficult for the car to determine what my reference consumption rate should be. I was aware of the variation because I kept checking the energy display to see how things were progressing. There were so many turns in my route that it was too much work to scroll all the way to the bottom of the navigation list. I always monitor arrival SOC to make sure it doesn't keep moving downwards for some unexpected reason, so it would be really helpful to see it in that empty space beside the other arrival data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporty