Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4.1 - can't charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would emphasize that everyone at Tesla is being really kind and caring to my wife and I. They are doing everything possible to rescue our Christmas trip. I am choosing not to get mad. I am deeply disappointed of course, mostly because my confidence in the reliability of Model S is now inevitably shaken. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in our Roadster. I continue to hope for a quick resolution that results in a systemic quality improvement for everyone's benefit. I just hope this is as bad as it gets for anyone in these early giddy days.
If it's any consolation, your lost trip will help Tesla the diagnose the problem and hopefully prevent it in all Model Ss in the future.

I guess the whole battery sleep thing is more complicated than it appears. The Roadster didn't have a similar system (although that did cause the whole bricking controversy).

My son upgraded to 4.1 yesterday. My son in law drove the car to Santa Barbar last night. 5 charges so far without problems (whew!) 2 on NEMA 14-50 plugs, 2 on HPC 70 amp with J1772 at Rabobanks on highway 101, and one at the SuperCharger in Gilroy.

I drove from the Bay Area to L.A. yesterday and had trouble charging at Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch. Charging would stop after 5 or 10 minutes and I would have to unplug, close the charge port, open the charge port, and plug in again. That only worked some of the time. Charging at Tesla in Hawthorne worked fine. I have 4.0.

If it's any consolation, your lost trip will help Tesla the diagnose the problem and hopefully prevent it in all Model Ss in the future.

I guess the whole battery sleep thing is more complicated than it appears. The Roadster didn't have a similar system (although that did cause the whole bricking controversy).

Yes, that is exactly my hope and attitude, and the only reason I posted about this. I am ONLY interested in helping to improve the product for everyone's benefit.

The car was heroically flatbed towed back to Seattle last night through blinding snow on Snoqualmie Pass by Crossroads Towing, who are explicitly trained by Tesla. The young guy (did not get his name) was fantastic. We could not get the car to raise the air suspension or release the e-brake, so the car had to be dragged up onto the truck on skids. He did it carefully and expertly. The car is now at Seattle Service and being worked on. They told me it is slow going, because the car keeps wanting to go back to sleep, and stops talking to their diagnostic laptop. They are trying their best to get the car healthy and back to us by the end of the week. I had to tell them NOT to ruin their own Christmases on our account!

We made it to my wife's parents, so at least our Christmas is intact.

I am genuinely delighted that there are more "OK here" posts on this thread than shared problems. I hope our car just had a simple assembly defect, perhaps a loose connector, and that there may be no design weakness here.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Vger: You are obviously a very nice and understanding person and am glad you are able to make the best of this situation. Glad you and your family made it safely for Christmas too. It can't be easy to see your new car towed away. Hope they fix it soon and you can drive it back home.

An update on my situation: this afternoon I received a notice that an upgrade was available, and I was upgraded to 1.19.31. It was not a "stealth" upgrade like some have reported (.27 to .29, etc.)

Yes, that is exactly my hope and attitude, and the only reason I posted about this. I am ONLY interested in helping to improve the product for everyone's benefit.

...... I had to tell them NOT to ruin their own Christmases on our account!

Vger: Your a class act, a true Canadian :) ... Tesla should compensate you thoroughly for this somehow, as the car put you in a bad situation...lets hope they fix the car, and pay your kindness back with some kindness of their own.

I haven't had the issue re-occur. That said, I haven't driven much during the past couple of days -- I need my rear seats to haul the 6 of us to family functions. :)

Well hopefully the upgrade fixed it for good. This whole charging issue has had my husband wiigging out a bit about the S's reliability for long trips. I, however, have faith in Tesla working out any bugs quickly. With, hopefully, minimal impact to early adopters.

With any luck situations like vger's will be a rarity.

Last edited:
Well hopefully the upgrade fixed it for good. This whole charging issue has had my husband wiigging out a bit about the S's reliability for long trips. I, however, have faith in Tesla working out any bugs quickly. With, hopefully, minimal impact to early adopters.

With any luck situations like vger's will be a rarity.
Everyone - just a practical thought - don't do an update away from home, during a trip, or if you're planning on a trip in the near future. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

I received word today that the 1.17.31 update was indeed intended to address the very problem that I experienced. This morning I took the car down to 120 rated miles or so and it is now charging happily in the garage without the need to play the radio. :)

Hi Guys I am new to this forum but had almost similar experience to Vger after having my car for 2 weeks and various warnings that many of us experienced, on my way from work to home in middle of highway the car shut off and I had to leave it at the side of the road till next day. To make the story short and less tragic Tesla tow it next day and after diagnostics I was told the problem was with the main battery and has to be replaced I think it may take about 2 weeks to get it done. I am going to buy another spare car for these situations as I think model s will have many bugs to be figure it out in next few months or years