Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 beta testing begins (Driver Mode, Self Parking, AP restrictions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect to the discussion of the driver's door handle only presenting, and homeless people, etc., I just want to add the following. I recall this issue being discussed quite some time ago, and one of the reasons some people wanted this feature was so that they or their spouses would feel safer when approaching their cars in parking lots. The idea that someone could easily get in one of the doors on the passenger side was a concern. I think this new option will be useful to some people, and people who don't want it won't use it. But at least Tesla listened to its customers. We should be appreciative of that fact and encourage that behavior in the future.
Indeed. Andy said it better than my homeless passenger example.

With respect to the discussion of the driver's door handle only presenting, and homeless people, etc., I just want to add the following. I recall this issue being discussed quite some time ago, and one of the reasons some people wanted this feature was so that they or their spouses would feel safer when approaching their cars in parking lots. The idea that someone could easily get in one of the doors on the passenger side was a concern. I think this new option will be useful to some people, and people who don't want it won't use it. But at least Tesla listened to its customers. We should be appreciative of that fact and encourage that behavior in the future.
This was one of the first things my daughter mentioned (she lives in San Francisco). She wanted only the driver door to unlock upon approach to prevent someone from jumping into the car from the other side.

Author of the article here. Just thought I'll let you know that I updated the article with an important bit of info I inadvertently left out at first:

"Update: v7.1 beta also includes a new feature to open your garage door automatically via HomeLink, which could be a precursor to summoning the car/Autopark from outside the vehicle feature."
Thanks for the update Fred (updated the OP). I keep forgetting that you're the author from Electrek. I'm going to be bugging you more now...

Last edited:
Author of the article here. Just thought I'll let you know that I updated the article with an important bit of info I inadvertently left out at first:

"Update: v7.1 beta also includes a new feature to open your garage door automatically via HomeLink, which could be a precursor to summoning the car/Autopark from outside the vehicle feature."

That's great, as long as Tesla fixes the bug that causes the door to only open or close 50% of the time. I frequently have to transmit multiple times to get the opener to act. And via testing, it's the car, not the opener.

That's great, as long as Tesla fixes the bug that causes the door to only open or close 50% of the time. I frequently have to transmit multiple times to get the opener to act. And via testing, it's the car, not the opener.
Please make sure Tesla gets this feedback directly. In 2012-2013, I had issues like this but in 2014 and 2015 it hasn't been a problem so I figured they fixed the issue.

As long as it is a CHOICE I'm cool with it. I'd hate to have the car not unlock all doors by default so that my whole family can get in when we walk up.

On all my other cars, pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver door, and twice unlocks all the doors.

I've never had a car that by default unlocks all the doors. I thought it was really strange that Tesla did that, and it took so long to get an option to not to.

I think the main issue is that you need to double tap to unlock already, and triple tapping is awkward. Most cars have separate lock and unlock buttons on the fob, with the unlock smaller and less easy to accidentally press. Tesla tried to be clever using just one bottom for lock and unlock, but it made it more complexity in the end, instead of simpler.

On all my other cars, pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver door, and twice unlocks all the doors.

I've never had a car that by default unlocks all the doors. I thought it was really strange that Tesla did that, and it took so long to get an option to not to.
In many countries outside the US most cars unlock all doors. Certainly in Germany but I had the same experience in France and Italy. Many of the German car makers (definitely BMW & Mercedes) still allow you to switch your car into that mode.
I've had a single car in my life that did the "only unlock the driver door" thing - that was a VW Golf. Oh, and I guess my wife's cars do that, too. But my cars have always opened all the doors and I'd hate to lose that.
I think the main issue is that you need to double tap to unlock already, and triple tapping is awkward.
Nonononono! I don't do a THING to unlock the car. That's the beauty of the Tesla. It's the first thing I fell in love with. You walk up, the car extends the door handles and opens. Brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're upgrading? I'm shocked but happy. [emoji1]
I said no such thing. I was much more saying this as "whatever, as long as it's a choice I don't care."
I guess I could have phrased this as "if this is the new default then 7.1 won't make it on my car, either".

Driving in bumper to bumper traffic with autopilot engaged is one of the best uses of this feature.
And snarls on city streets are NOT excluded from this in my book -- losing this capability on any street is strongly not welcomed by this owner. I know I am always responsible and driving always. Didn't I already effectively sign a waiver ?

Unlikely. Autonomous summoning is just a nightmare waiting to happen. Tesla doesn't have sensors to see what's immediately beside the car. Imagine the outcry if Tesla rides over Fluffy or Fido peacefully sleeping on a driveway.
lol I now can't get out of my head this possible critter carnage. This one is certainly the height of gimmick, not necessarily a bad thing and though I'm sure there are folks for whom this would be a grief saver, I'm sure most would prefer focus elsewhere at this point. But we do seem to ride a wave of gimmicks on this ride, don't we :wink:

the sensor quite often misses that I actually _have_ hands on the wheel.
I assumed it was torque at first, but it can be disabled by just lightly touching the side of the wheel, you don't have to grab it or resist the auto steering at all. It may be only sensing torque still, but it's very sensitive. and I would not be surprised if some steering wheels are giving false feedback.

I basically have to tug at my wheel to register a nag. But I am not against a timed nag, eg. 20 mins ? In case I die.

I simply don't "micro adjust" when steering (ever since the slappy loose Caravelle days lol). In fact I've paid attention and typically apply a gentle steering adjustment only every 3 seconds or so. And I finesse the steering wheel when I steer. So the torque sensors or whatever are in this system don't seem to be able to "see" me holding the wheel at all. I have to deliberately tug.

And finally on the 1 handle option, it was one of my first questions when I picked up the car and I'm happy to have this "feature" (a basic item for cars in Canada) available now, not only for safety but -- and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet -- for the durability of these fancy motorized handles (that some have suggested are "time bombs" waiting for broken wires or contacts due to the way they're designed).

No I mean something like using the Ultrasonic sensors to determine how many people are approaching the car and from which doors and open only the appropriate doors automatically. :biggrin:
Ok so it doesn't address the main idea of enhanced security but if it works it would make a neat gimmick, as a settable option :biggrin: