Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8 and autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of discussion on this - you certainly aren't the only person that feels this way.

Personally, after spending several hours with AP on 8.0 today, I feel like it has improved - it seems smoother to me and at least as stable, and is able to smoothly run through intersections that would have baffled 7.1.

But as always YMMV. :)

Reactions: Gymee
There's a lot of discussion on this - you certainly aren't the only person that feels this way.

Personally, after spending several hours with AP on 8.0 today, I feel like it has improved - it seems smoother to me and at least as stable, and is able to smoothly run through intersections that would have baffled 7.1.

But as always YMMV. :)

I can confirm it sees more cars my issues is really with the lines. My car seems to bounce from one side to the other. With 7.1 it was perfect always in the middle.

• Informative
Reactions: RIZE and passcore
I drive the same stretch of unmarked highway daily and AP on 7.1 got lost every time. Today was our first trip w/8.0 and it kept the lane well. I have to assume that lane markings in the distance are being interpreted and acted on more effectively to compensate for missing/removed lane markings.

I'm noticing that it isn't perfectly centered in stretches where it was on 7.1. However, I had a loaner that hugged the left side of the lane and I've only been an owner for three months. For the most part, it is keeping the center of the lane.

Love the accelerating and decelerating in traffic. Infinitely improved.

Reactions: ThomasB
Does anyone else notice that the following distance is now much greater? I've always set AP at one car length. Did the update and went for a drive. Still set on one car length my vehicle remained back roughly 2-3 car lengths. Cars consistently passed me from behind. Not sure why this is happening. Anyone else notice this after the 8.0 update?

Reactions: jonman
Does anyone else notice that the following distance is now much greater? I've always set AP at one car length. Did the update and went for a drive. Still set on one car length my vehicle remained back roughly 2-3 car lengths. Cars consistently passed me from behind. Not sure why this is happening. Anyone else notice this after the 8.0 update?

so i think this definitely changed. i normally do 5 but is now more like 7

2 questions:

1) any way to get an audible warning before auto pilot disengages and cancels for the remainder of the trip? I noticed only the white border visual cue and then it cancelled.

2) what's the deal with highway to highway exchange? What's new about this? How do you activate it. If I'm in an exit lane AP just stays in that lane. What's new?

Thanks

I have the same issue as in 1) above. The first time it does give the audible warning when flashing, but subsequent flash warnings are not supplemented with an audible beep that you would expect it to do.

So often I am looking at the road and not the dash and completely miss the "hold the wheel" flashes and end up getting the red hands of shame. And lose AP for the rest of the trip.

Very frustrating.

I had the opportunity to use Autopilot 8 for about 500 miles of highway driving. It seemed pretty similar to 7.1. The biggest change I noticed was much smoother lane changes. In the rain - it seemed to be much more conservative about engaging. Following distance seemed more comfortable/natural. I couldn't figure out why it would be available at certain times and not others. I did not hear audible alerts when the white border flashes appeared - but I was able to catch them pretty quickly so perhaps I didn't give it enough time. The highway interchange capability seemed to be completely non functional. It certainly did not work on exit ramps and at a highway split I couldn't figure out how to tell it my intentions. The turn signal tried to execute a lane change.

The highway interchange capability seemed to be completely non functional.
This has been my experience as well. In fact it's dangerous! The car does not slow down and heads straight towards the water barrels. I have tried it several times and had gotten it to work 1 time!
The follow distance does seem a bit longer to me.
The intersection lane keeping is much better.
Lane keeping on highway is excellent with subtle improvements.
Coming up onto stopped traffic is my biggest complaint. It waits too long and is too hard. I usually end up taking over.

I see pros and cons...
Sometimes a little more unstable on straight roads - moving slightly more left and right
but it seems to handle curves much better...it feels almost as if the car can anticipate the upcoming curve better
its hard to put into words, but it seems there is much less oversteer requiring correction with V 8.0

It is much smoother. Lane changes are much better. Corners are better. Moving away from side vehicles better. But it does kind of bounce from side to side a little much. It did it a little less today so maybe it is improving. It seems to be dependent too much on the right line, when the line moves to the right to add a lane it wants to follow it..or a turn lane. Freeway interchange and exits not working for me. Plus it does not slow down as mentioned above. Stopping is a big issue, comes up on stopped traffic way too fast as mentioned above. Most of these issues were consistent with the prior version as well. So I can say the lane change and smoother drive is a big huge plus...but more work is necessary.