Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting the X too. I thought it was working for awhile, but no. This is really annoying. Tesla promised a dash cam feature. I’m going to sell my car. Wait...

How many other car companies even offer a feature like this? Simmer down folks...
Pausing workaround seems to keep the X from showing up. It's been working for me for 5 days including 2 trips of over 1 hour this weekend.

I’m sure it says it in multiple places on this forum but for the life of me I can’t find it. Where does the Dashcam show on the screen? I’m on v9 and have formatted my USB but I’m not seeing Dashcam anywhere, not even with the X.

Have you created a folder on the USB drive that says “TeslaCam” or “TESLACAM” (no quotes)? You need to do that. Then, up by the name of your profile on the center screen it will show a little camera icon with a red dot.

I’m sure it says it in multiple places on this forum but for the life of me I can’t find it. Where does the Dashcam show on the screen? I’m on v9 and have formatted my USB but I’m not seeing Dashcam anywhere, not even with the X.
As said above, you need to make the folder. I plugged in the USB and within a few seconds the icon appeared on the top right side by the seat Profile name.

From what we can see on TeslaFi, 2018.40 is the current release. It does look like 39.7 was halted (only a few cars last few days) and 40 and 40.1 (40.1 may be early access?) are the current ones.

I’d hang in there until you get the next release. There were many reports on Reddit of people calling support and being told that 39.7 was pulled. This included people getting ‘software update ready’ and it even disappeared from cars before actual install, which is rare (I’ve not seen it before in years that I can recall). (Yes, I know the above two paragraphs don’t agree. Makes no sense why a recall doesn’t have 100% effect but that’s what we’ve seen and are seeing on TeslaFi.)
FWIW I have one M3 on 39.7 and one on 39.7.1. The latter has no corruption issue - identical USB drive formatted on Fat32/GPT. The 39.7 is showing the gray X upon restart. So yes, seems really related to software - hang in there :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Have you created a folder on the USB drive that says “TeslaCam” or “TESLACAM” (no quotes)? You need to do that. Then, up by the name of your profile on the center screen it will show a little camera icon with a red dot.

As said above, you need to make the folder. I plugged in the USB and within a few seconds the icon appeared on the top right side by the seat Profile name.

Yep, I’ve got it formatted FAT32 and have a TESLACAM folder. Thanks for telling me where to look. Something is clearly wrong with my USB. Will try again. Thanks.

My Samsung USB stick was connected through an Onvian cable splitter. Yesterday, I replaced it with a Sabrent USB hub. This morning, I was greeted with an X in the icon. Had worked fine for 6 days. And I took great care to unmount the stick before changing from the splitter to the hub. Still, I wonder if this had something to do with it.

So i have the same issues as every one else but i do notice that when the X appears i can pull the vidoes off with out issue but i need to do the reformat for it to start working again. Oh well here's to hoping its fixed in future updates.
That was happening to me before too. But since I've started pausing it's been working perfectly for the last week. It's annoying to have to start the recording and pausing the recording each time, but I would rather do that than having to constantly format the usb drive.

That was happening to me before too. But since I've started pausing it's been working perfectly for the last week. It's annoying to have to start the recording and pausing the recording each time, but I would rather do that than having to constantly format the usb drive.

yes same here. It's annoying but I think I will continue to do this until they fix it. Sometimes I forgot to pause and dashcam still works fine, but sometimes got the corrupted file which needs the usb to be reformatted. The good/bad ratio is about 50-50. SUPER ANNOYING. Hope they are really working on solutions.