Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. But no other vehilce manufacturer charges $6000 for features that the car can't do yet.
That's true...they just charge a 'new car' for features that could be software enabled. For example, my volt which I just sold has a totally different Regen operation from my wife's bolt. The 2019 volt operates the same way as my wife's bolt....do you think GM is offering a free OTA update to 2016, 2017, 2018 volt owners to use the arguably better Regen? Nah, if you want that feature, buy a new car please.

This is the way of a software driven world with easy application of patches and upgrades. Pretty much every single video game has upgrades and patch fixes. So does your computer, so does your phone. Tesla gets this and operates similarly, others do not.

Would you rather not get upgraded software as it becomes available? Or take a day off work to go to a dealership to get a software upgrade that could have happened while you slept?

Maybe....but that's not for me.

Last edited:
I had a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with a Mazda connect system. From day 1, it was promised to have live traffic and Apple CarPlay.

As for uodates, Nav map updates could be done offline at home using a computer and a SD card, but firmware updates had to be done through service visits or by non approved means...Fast forward to 2018 and only till now the 2019 fleet will have CarPlay and Android auto. Anything older is a paid hardware update...Thanks Mazda!

Mazda has been on Apple partnered CarPlay providers since 2017 and kept stringing people along that it was coming.
Yep, I paid for features that were never delivered.

For me it’s refreshing to have a vehicle that allows for OTA updates like Tesla does.

I had a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with a Mazda connect system. From day 1, it was promised to have live traffic and Apple CarPlay.

As for uodates, Nav map updates could be done offline at home using a computer and a SD card, but firmware updates had to be done through service visits or by non approved means...Fast forward to 2018 and only till now the 2019 fleet will have CarPlay and Android auto. Anything older is a paid hardware update...Thanks Mazda!

Mazda has been on Apple partnered CarPlay providers since 2017 and kept stringing people along that it was coming.
Yep, I paid for features that were never delivered.

For me it’s refreshing to have a vehicle that allows for OTA updates like Tesla does.
Your Mazda story reminded me about another experience with my Volt: on delivery Android auto wasn't enabled, just apple car play. 2 months later android auto was available...guess how it was enabled? By a visit to my gm dealership...not an OTA update.

How could you possibly be disappointed getting a free upgrade to your car. Most are happy and thankful.

Sometimes your high expectations can make you miserable throughout life.

Let me be clear on this. I think Tesla is by far ahead of the curve compared to any other car manufacturer. Overall, I think V9 is a step forward. What my issue is evolves around why functionality available in certain regions cannot be granted everywhere. This, of course, isn't necessarily Tesla's fault as it can be due to government regulations that prevent functionality from being available. Now, it may come to pass that up here we'll get some additional functionality down the road, but we certainly did get a lackluster version of summon that is essentially hit-or-miss when it works (one has to been in close proximity with the fob in order for it to work and you cannot use the fob to initiate or move the car). Some people found V8 was an iffy upgrade because of how autopilot became "naggy". In V9, I wonder whether screen scrolling for settings and controls is a good idea, same thing for the pull down for the menu is now replaced by a button on the bottom of the screen. It may be nothing of concern in the long run, but sometimes new functionality isn't better and it eventually gets revised in a manner that makes sense.

Let me be clear on this. I think Tesla is by far ahead of the curve compared to any other car manufacturer. Overall, I think V9 is a step forward. What my issue is evolves around why functionality available in certain regions cannot be granted everywhere. This, of course, isn't necessarily Tesla's fault as it can be due to government regulations that prevent functionality from being available. Now, it may come to pass that up here we'll get some additional functionality down the road, but we certainly did get a lackluster version of summon that is essentially hit-or-miss when it works (one has to been in close proximity with the fob in order for it to work and you cannot use the fob to initiate or move the car). Some people found V8 was an iffy upgrade because of how autopilot became "naggy". In V9, I wonder whether screen scrolling for settings and controls is a good idea, same thing for the pull down for the menu is now replaced by a button on the bottom of the screen. It may be nothing of concern in the long run, but sometimes new functionality isn't better and it eventually gets revised in a manner that makes sense.

So that was a lot of words to say you understand its not Tesla's fault they cannot roll a feature out in 150+ countries globally but you still have the right to be pissed off....

Maybe write your MP and do something constructive? Write Minister Bains who heads innovation and voice your concern?

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
So that was a lot of words to say you understand its not Tesla's fault they cannot roll a feature out in 150+ countries globally but you still have the right to be pissed off....

Maybe write your MP and do something constructive? Write Minister Bains who heads innovation and voice your concern?

I'll look to consult with Minister Bains along with Minister Garneau (Minister of Transportation). Garneau would probably be in charge of approving anything to do with safety on the roads. Do you think there's people to be contacted at the provincial level as well, or is it all overseen at the federal level?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'll look to consult with Minister Bains along with Minister Garneau (Minister of Transportation). Garneau would probably be in charge of approving anything to do with safety on the roads. Do you think there's people to be contacted at the provincial level as well, or is it all overseen at the federal level?
How about we all wait and see if in fact it wont be included, before we cause a stink.

There is a video of it working in the Netherlands... so clearly its not just US Only right now.

Yes, that works. Parallel-parked nicely during my trial!

The entire auto park system is wonky. One time, Autopark detected a parking spot while I was on the 401 West inching along. And one time with it engaged, it looked like it'd hop a curb to fit into the driveway. Lets be realistic, unless you're terrible at parking... this feature is a gimmick at best.

It'd only really be useful if it allows you to get out of the car and auto park into a tight spot on your driveway (I don't see how this is applicable unless in a party situation). Even then, easier to drive a couple minutes down the road and find another parking spot.

The entire auto park system is wonky. One time, Autopark detected a parking spot while I was on the 401 West inching along. And one time with it engaged, it looked like it'd hop a curb to fit into the driveway. Lets be realistic, unless you're terrible at parking... this feature is a gimmick at best.

It'd only really be useful if it allows you to get out of the car and auto park into a tight spot on your driveway (I don't see how this is applicable unless in a party situation). Even then, easier to drive a couple minutes down the road and find another parking spot.
Agreed. Auto park systems always disappoint. My gen 2 volt had autopark where the car controlled steering and you controlled the brakes. In parallel parking it did a decent job, and in normal parking it was horrendous. I could see it being useful for parallel parking, but only for those who have no practice at it.

Model 3 is better than the volt, but still quite flakey and takes forever. The car moves crazy slow, and to be honest having seen the way it approaches parking spots I dont fully trust it.

Also, it dry turns your tires, which bothers me. It moves the car so slowly, why not move the wheel while the car is moving to avoid unnecessary wear on the tires?

Agreed. Auto park systems always disappoint. My gen 2 volt had autopark where the car controlled steering and you controlled the brakes. In parallel parking it did a decent job, and in normal parking it was horrendous. I could see it being useful for parallel parking, but only for those who have no practice at it.

Model 3 is better than the volt, but still quite flakey and takes forever. The car moves crazy slow, and to be honest having seen the way it approaches parking spots I dont fully trust it.

Also, it dry turns your tires, which bothers me. It moves the car so slowly, why not move the wheel while the car is moving to avoid unnecessary wear on the tires?

Just to add a bit of doubt on how our experiences can be variable, we had a test drive in a rwd T3 in Oakville before receiving our car.
The auto park feature worked very quickly moving the car which I stopped at a 90 degree angle & in front of the car next to the desired empty space. The car turned the wheels as it moved, parked in the middle of the space, took only 2 moves & placed the car in P at the conclusion. I have to say anyone would have had extreme difficulty making that manouver in so few moves. You had to be there to believe it!
I suggest we request a report from folks who have the EAP for their experience.